IE8 - can't access internet after install

Krystal Peters

IE8 - can't access internet after install
I recently installed IE8 to my pc and now I cannot access anything on the
internet.
My system is VISTA and I have Stopzilla for spyware removal. Used to have
Norton but have discontinued.
--
Krystal K. Peters
Jeff Strickland

Re: IE8 - can't access internet after install

"Krystal Peters" <KrystalPeters@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I recently installed IE8 to my pc and now I cannot access anything on the
> internet.
> My system is VISTA and I have Stopzilla for spyware removal. Used to have
> Norton but have discontinued.
> --
> Krystal K. Peters

I had an issue recently with IE8 and Win 7 where I couldn't get to the 'net,
and the problem was the anti-virus tool. I use an Internet Security Suite,
and there's a Family Protection Service that is included. It was the FPS
that was the problem.

Look at the Control Panel>Programs, and see if there is anything from
Norton, McAfee, or Stopzilla that is not part of the main virus protection
package, and Uninstall it to see if the problem is resolved. Don't forget to
restart your machine so the changes you just made take effect. You want to
zero in on the services provider more than the services. If you don't have
Norton anymore, make sure all of the stuff that you got from Norton
(Symantic) is gone (LiveUpdate will typically remain even after Norton has
been removed). Once this is all cleaned up, then look for extras that stand
alone from Stopzilla are removed, and finally remove Stopzilla itself.
Obviously, you're gonna want to have the installation media for whatever you
remove that you think you want to put back in.

You can put whatever you removed back in later, but you have to remove the
antivirus -- mostly the extras as opposed to the main program -- to see if
you can regain control of the machine. What you are doing is removing stuff
one at a time until the browser works, then put the last thing removed back
in to see if the system remains stable at that point.

Re: IE8 - can't access internet after install
> ...Used to have Norton but have discontinued.

Explain.