Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

IE Doesn't close properly

microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 02-11-2010
Katyenka S.H.
 

Posts: n/a
IE Doesn't close properly
Whenever I try to close an IE window or tab, it freezes and never closes. The
only way I can close it is by closing all IE windows by ending the process
tree with Task Manager. I figured it was a problem with IE since it doesn't
happen with any other program's windows.
To avoid any questions, I'm running Windows Vista, and yes I have tried
restarting many times. I even tried to reinstall IE8 but it won't run the
setup because I aready have it.
Are there any suggestions as to what the problem could be and how I could
fix it?
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 02-11-2010
Nathan Sokalski
 

Posts: n/a
Re: IE Doesn't close properly
I don't know if any of these will help, but try some of these instead of
just reinstalling:

1. Go to Control Panel ->Turn Windows Features on or off ->deselect
Internet Explorer 8
After doing this, reboot and then select Internet Explorer again

2. I can't remember whether Vista came with Internet Explorer 7 or 8 (I
moved straight from XP to 7, so I can't remember what Vista came with), so
if Internet Explorer 8 is listed in your list of installed programs, you can
either uninstall it from there or if there is an option to repair it, you
can try that.

Sometimes this locking up stuff happens only with some random programs
because of some problem or corrupted file. I don't know if it will help or
not, but you could try running some of the utilities such as CheckDisk,
Defrag, or VirusScan. Even if these don't help, it never hurts to run them
once in a while (and who knows, they might end up finding something else?).
Other than these suggestions, I'm not sure what to tell you to do. If none
of my suggestions help, maybe somebody else will have some ideas. Good Luck!
--
Nathan Sokalski
njsokalski@hotmail.com
http://www.nathansokalski.com/

"Katyenka S.H." <Katyenka S.H.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:F3B1D406-F3F7-4B76-B639-1F51D33A0B5B@microsoft.com...
> Whenever I try to close an IE window or tab, it freezes and never closes.
> The
> only way I can close it is by closing all IE windows by ending the process
> tree with Task Manager. I figured it was a problem with IE since it
> doesn't
> happen with any other program's windows.
> To avoid any questions, I'm running Windows Vista, and yes I have tried
> restarting many times. I even tried to reinstall IE8 but it won't run the
> setup because I aready have it.
> Are there any suggestions as to what the problem could be and how I could
> fix it?


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 02-12-2010
VanguardLH
 

Posts: n/a
Re: IE Doesn't close properly
Katyenka S.H. wrote:

> Whenever I try to close an IE window or tab, it freezes and never closes. The
> only way I can close it is by closing all IE windows by ending the process
> tree with Task Manager. I figured it was a problem with IE since it doesn't
> happen with any other program's windows.
> To avoid any questions, I'm running Windows Vista, and yes I have tried
> restarting many times. I even tried to reinstall IE8 but it won't run the
> setup because I aready have it.
> Are there any suggestions as to what the problem could be and how I could
> fix it?


Load IE8 in its no add-ons mode and retest.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 02-12-2010
Jeff Strickland
 

Posts: n/a
Re: IE Doesn't close properly

"Nathan Sokalski" <njsokalski@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:5104675A-90B6-4182-B03B-EBC242B4F91C@microsoft.com...
>I don't know if any of these will help, but try some of these instead of
>just reinstalling:
>
> 1. Go to Control Panel ->Turn Windows Features on or off ->deselect
> Internet Explorer 8
> After doing this, reboot and then select Internet Explorer again
>
> 2. I can't remember whether Vista came with Internet Explorer 7 or 8 (I
> moved straight from XP to 7, so I can't remember what Vista came with), so
> if Internet Explorer 8 is listed in your list of installed programs, you
> can either uninstall it from there or if there is an option to repair it,
> you can try that.
>


WINDOWS VISTA CAME WITH IE7.




> Sometimes this locking up stuff happens only with some random programs
> because of some problem or corrupted file. I don't know if it will help or
> not, but you could try running some of the utilities such as CheckDisk,
> Defrag, or VirusScan. Even if these don't help, it never hurts to run them
> once in a while (and who knows, they might end up finding something
> else?). Other than these suggestions, I'm not sure what to tell you to do.
> If none of my suggestions help, maybe somebody else will have some ideas.
> Good Luck!
> --
> Nathan Sokalski
> njsokalski@hotmail.com
> http://www.nathansokalski.com/
>
> "Katyenka S.H." <Katyenka S.H.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:F3B1D406-F3F7-4B76-B639-1F51D33A0B5B@microsoft.com...
>> Whenever I try to close an IE window or tab, it freezes and never closes.
>> The
>> only way I can close it is by closing all IE windows by ending the
>> process
>> tree with Task Manager. I figured it was a problem with IE since it
>> doesn't
>> happen with any other program's windows.
>> To avoid any questions, I'm running Windows Vista, and yes I have tried
>> restarting many times. I even tried to reinstall IE8 but it won't run the
>> setup because I aready have it.
>> Are there any suggestions as to what the problem could be and how I could
>> fix it?

>



Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 02-13-2010
PA Bear [MS MVP]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: IE Doesn't close properly
And your IE version would be...?

Katyenka S.H. wrote:
> Whenever I try to close an IE window or tab, it freezes and never closes.
> The only way I can close it is by closing all IE windows by ending the
> process tree with Task Manager. I figured it was a problem with IE since
> it
> doesn't happen with any other program's windows.
> To avoid any questions, I'm running Windows Vista, and yes I have tried
> restarting many times. I even tried to reinstall IE8 but it won't run the
> setup because I aready have it.
> Are there any suggestions as to what the problem could be and how I could
> fix it?


Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 02-13-2010
Kolohe Wiz
 

Posts: n/a
Re: IE Doesn't close properly
True Vista originally shipped with IE7 but it was automatically updated to
IE8 months ago.
--
When all else fails dynamite appears to be the item of choice.


"Jeff Strickland" wrote:

>
> "Nathan Sokalski" <njsokalski@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:5104675A-90B6-4182-B03B-EBC242B4F91C@microsoft.com...
> >I don't know if any of these will help, but try some of these instead of
> >just reinstalling:
> >
> > 1. Go to Control Panel ->Turn Windows Features on or off ->deselect
> > Internet Explorer 8
> > After doing this, reboot and then select Internet Explorer again
> >
> > 2. I can't remember whether Vista came with Internet Explorer 7 or 8 (I
> > moved straight from XP to 7, so I can't remember what Vista came with), so
> > if Internet Explorer 8 is listed in your list of installed programs, you
> > can either uninstall it from there or if there is an option to repair it,
> > you can try that.
> >

>
> WINDOWS VISTA CAME WITH IE7.
>
>
>
>
> > Sometimes this locking up stuff happens only with some random programs
> > because of some problem or corrupted file. I don't know if it will help or
> > not, but you could try running some of the utilities such as CheckDisk,
> > Defrag, or VirusScan. Even if these don't help, it never hurts to run them
> > once in a while (and who knows, they might end up finding something
> > else?). Other than these suggestions, I'm not sure what to tell you to do.
> > If none of my suggestions help, maybe somebody else will have some ideas.
> > Good Luck!
> > --
> > Nathan Sokalski
> > njsokalski@hotmail.com
> > http://www.nathansokalski.com/
> >
> > "Katyenka S.H." <Katyenka S.H.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > news:F3B1D406-F3F7-4B76-B639-1F51D33A0B5B@microsoft.com...
> >> Whenever I try to close an IE window or tab, it freezes and never closes.
> >> The
> >> only way I can close it is by closing all IE windows by ending the
> >> process
> >> tree with Task Manager. I figured it was a problem with IE since it
> >> doesn't
> >> happen with any other program's windows.
> >> To avoid any questions, I'm running Windows Vista, and yes I have tried
> >> restarting many times. I even tried to reinstall IE8 but it won't run the
> >> setup because I aready have it.
> >> Are there any suggestions as to what the problem could be and how I could
> >> fix it?

> >

>
>
> .
>

Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 02-14-2010
PA Bear [MS MVP]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: IE Doesn't close properly
Not quite.

Kolohe Wiz wrote:
> True Vista originally shipped with IE7 but it was automatically updated to
> IE8 months ago.
>
>>
>> "Nathan Sokalski" <njsokalski@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> news:5104675A-90B6-4182-B03B-EBC242B4F91C@microsoft.com...
>>> I don't know if any of these will help, but try some of these instead of
>>> just reinstalling:
>>>
>>> 1. Go to Control Panel ->Turn Windows Features on or off ->deselect
>>> Internet Explorer 8
>>> After doing this, reboot and then select Internet Explorer again
>>>
>>> 2. I can't remember whether Vista came with Internet Explorer 7 or 8
>>> (I
>>> moved straight from XP to 7, so I can't remember what Vista came with),
>>> so
>>> if Internet Explorer 8 is listed in your list of installed programs, you
>>> can either uninstall it from there or if there is an option to repair
>>> it,
>>> you can try that.
>>>

>>
>> WINDOWS VISTA CAME WITH IE7.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>> Sometimes this locking up stuff happens only with some random programs
>>> because of some problem or corrupted file. I don't know if it will help
>>> or
>>> not, but you could try running some of the utilities such as CheckDisk,
>>> Defrag, or VirusScan. Even if these don't help, it never hurts to run
>>> them
>>> once in a while (and who knows, they might end up finding something
>>> else?). Other than these suggestions, I'm not sure what to tell you to
>>> do.
>>> If none of my suggestions help, maybe somebody else will have some
>>> ideas.
>>> Good Luck!
>>> --
>>> Nathan Sokalski
>>> njsokalski@hotmail.com
>>> http://www.nathansokalski.com/
>>>
>>> "Katyenka S.H." <Katyenka S.H.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>>> message
>>> news:F3B1D406-F3F7-4B76-B639-1F51D33A0B5B@microsoft.com...
>>>> Whenever I try to close an IE window or tab, it freezes and never
>>>> closes.
>>>> The
>>>> only way I can close it is by closing all IE windows by ending the
>>>> process
>>>> tree with Task Manager. I figured it was a problem with IE since it
>>>> doesn't
>>>> happen with any other program's windows.
>>>> To avoid any questions, I'm running Windows Vista, and yes I have tried
>>>> restarting many times. I even tried to reinstall IE8 but it won't run
>>>> the
>>>> setup because I aready have it.
>>>> Are there any suggestions as to what the problem could be and how I
>>>> could
>>>> fix it?
>>>

>>
>>
>> .


Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
IE 8 didn't close properly John K microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general 4 12-13-2009 20:31
Vista Mail won;t close properly when exited. jiannu microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail 3 04-25-2009 03:09
Vista 64x mail won't close properly when exiting jiannu microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail 8 04-08-2009 14:47
cannot close windows media player when i click the 'close' button yulung microsoft.public.windows.vista.music pictures video 5 04-05-2009 23:11
CD didn't close properly & photos lost Spikey Sue microsoft.public.windows.vista.music pictures video 3 05-25-2008 04:29




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 19:06.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120