HTTP Error 12029

Carol

HTTP Error 12029
I am having a problem with one user on a computer being able to connect to
the Internet. (Using Windows XP and Internet Explorer 7) Other users with
the same permissions using the same computer are able to connect.

When this user tries to connect he receives an "Internet Explorer cannot
display the webpage" message. I have tried connecting to several different
web pages with the same results. When I ran the Network Diagnostics tool the
report was the following message:

Under Network location detection
info - Connecting through work or corporate network
info - Redirecting user to support call

Under HTTP, HTTPS, FTP connectivity
info - FTP (Active): Successfully connected to ftp.microsoft.com
info - HTTPS: Successfully connected to www.microsoft.com
warn - HTTP: Error 12029 connecting to www.microsoft.com: A connection
with the server could not be established
warn - HTTP: Error 12029 connecting to www.hotmail.com: A connection with
the server could not be established
error - Could not make an HTTP connection

I have the same results with his profile in Safe Mode with Networking.

Same report run under different users comes up with no problems found.

This problem started after using a malware remover to remove the
Win32/Nuqel.E Trojan.

Can anyone give me an idea of what to try to fix this?

rob^_^

Re: HTTP Error 12029
Hi Carol,

I have not had that error myself so I am relying on web research for an
answer...

ref: http://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=1312169
Ok disregard everything I said previously...... I can't believe I missed
this.In IE go to Options, connections, lan settings and UNCHECK
automatically detect my settings.That's it...... simple as that.I do this
out of habit on new installs and for some reason I forgot to do it when
started it up.I feel like such an idiot right now but I have seen countless
posts about it in other forums and no one yest picked up on that. So I hope
this helps someone else in the future because I know it will be a common
problem.

If that is the solution please post back and tell us what anti-virus program
you are using>

Regards.

"Carol" <Carol@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I am having a problem with one user on a computer being able to connect to
> the Internet. (Using Windows XP and Internet Explorer 7) Other users
> with
> the same permissions using the same computer are able to connect.
>
> When this user tries to connect he receives an "Internet Explorer cannot
> display the webpage" message. I have tried connecting to several
> different
> web pages with the same results. When I ran the Network Diagnostics tool
> the
> report was the following message:
>
> Under Network location detection
> info - Connecting through work or corporate network
> info - Redirecting user to support call
>
> Under HTTP, HTTPS, FTP connectivity
> info - FTP (Active): Successfully connected to ftp.microsoft.com
> info - HTTPS: Successfully connected to www.microsoft.com
> warn - HTTP: Error 12029 connecting to www.microsoft.com: A connection
> with the server could not be established
> warn - HTTP: Error 12029 connecting to www.hotmail.com: A connection with
> the server could not be established
> error - Could not make an HTTP connection
>
> I have the same results with his profile in Safe Mode with Networking.
>
> Same report run under different users comes up with no problems found.
>
> This problem started after using a malware remover to remove the
> Win32/Nuqel.E Trojan.
>
> Can anyone give me an idea of what to try to fix this?

Carol

Re: HTTP Error 12029
Good Morning Rob,

Thanks for the reply -- unfortunately it didn't work. I'm beginning to
think that may have something to do with just this individual's profile but I
can't figure out what.

Carol

"rob^_^" wrote:

> Hi Carol,
>
> I have not had that error myself so I am relying on web research for an
> answer...
>
> ref: http://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=1312169
> Ok disregard everything I said previously...... I can't believe I missed
> this.In IE go to Options, connections, lan settings and UNCHECK
> automatically detect my settings.That's it...... simple as that.I do this
> out of habit on new installs and for some reason I forgot to do it when
> started it up.I feel like such an idiot right now but I have seen countless
> posts about it in other forums and no one yest picked up on that. So I hope
> this helps someone else in the future because I know it will be a common
> problem.
>
> If that is the solution please post back and tell us what anti-virus program
> you are using>
>
> Regards.
>

> "Carol" <Carol@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I am having a problem with one user on a computer being able to connect to
> > the Internet. (Using Windows XP and Internet Explorer 7) Other users
> > with
> > the same permissions using the same computer are able to connect.
> >
> > When this user tries to connect he receives an "Internet Explorer cannot
> > display the webpage" message. I have tried connecting to several
> > different
> > web pages with the same results. When I ran the Network Diagnostics tool
> > the
> > report was the following message:
> >
> > Under Network location detection
> > info - Connecting through work or corporate network
> > info - Redirecting user to support call
> >
> > Under HTTP, HTTPS, FTP connectivity
> > info - FTP (Active): Successfully connected to ftp.microsoft.com
> > info - HTTPS: Successfully connected to www.microsoft.com
> > warn - HTTP: Error 12029 connecting to www.microsoft.com: A connection
> > with the server could not be established
> > warn - HTTP: Error 12029 connecting to www.hotmail.com: A connection with
> > the server could not be established
> > error - Could not make an HTTP connection
> >
> > I have the same results with his profile in Safe Mode with Networking.
> >
> > Same report run under different users comes up with no problems found.
> >
> > This problem started after using a malware remover to remove the
> > Win32/Nuqel.E Trojan.
> >
> > Can anyone give me an idea of what to try to fix this?

Carol

Re: HTTP Error 12029
Hi Rob,

I finally tried the most logical solution - comparing the profiles of the
two individuals who had logged on to the machine. (Don't know why I didn't
think of it sooner - would have saved a lot of headaches!). All I had to do
was UNCHECK everything in the Lan settings dialog box and it works perfectly.

Thanks for your help

Carol

"rob^_^" wrote:

> Hi Carol,
>
> I have not had that error myself so I am relying on web research for an
> answer...
>
> ref: http://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=1312169
> Ok disregard everything I said previously...... I can't believe I missed
> this.In IE go to Options, connections, lan settings and UNCHECK
> automatically detect my settings.That's it...... simple as that.I do this
> out of habit on new installs and for some reason I forgot to do it when
> started it up.I feel like such an idiot right now but I have seen countless
> posts about it in other forums and no one yest picked up on that. So I hope
> this helps someone else in the future because I know it will be a common
> problem.
>
> If that is the solution please post back and tell us what anti-virus program
> you are using>
>
> Regards.
>

> "Carol" <Carol@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I am having a problem with one user on a computer being able to connect to
> > the Internet. (Using Windows XP and Internet Explorer 7) Other users
> > with
> > the same permissions using the same computer are able to connect.
> >
> > When this user tries to connect he receives an "Internet Explorer cannot
> > display the webpage" message. I have tried connecting to several
> > different
> > web pages with the same results. When I ran the Network Diagnostics tool
> > the
> > report was the following message:
> >
> > Under Network location detection
> > info - Connecting through work or corporate network
> > info - Redirecting user to support call
> >
> > Under HTTP, HTTPS, FTP connectivity
> > info - FTP (Active): Successfully connected to ftp.microsoft.com
> > info - HTTPS: Successfully connected to www.microsoft.com
> > warn - HTTP: Error 12029 connecting to www.microsoft.com: A connection
> > with the server could not be established
> > warn - HTTP: Error 12029 connecting to www.hotmail.com: A connection with
> > the server could not be established
> > error - Could not make an HTTP connection
> >
> > I have the same results with his profile in Safe Mode with Networking.
> >
> > Same report run under different users comes up with no problems found.
> >
> > This problem started after using a malware remover to remove the
> > Win32/Nuqel.E Trojan.
> >
> > Can anyone give me an idea of what to try to fix this?

jainsley

Re: HTTP Error 12029
I just fixed my Error 12029 problem moments ago by unchecking the Proxy server box in my LAN Settings. To get there in Windows XP Pro, go to START, SETTINGS, CONTROL PANEL, INTERNET OPTIONS, and then on the INTERNET PROPERTIES window, select the CONNECTIONS tab. Left click on LAN settings at the bottom and UNCHECK the PROXY SERVER box that says "Use a proxy server for your LAN ...). That's all it took for me, and my problem is now solved.

---
frmsrcurl: http://msgroups.net/microsoft.public...TP-Error-12029