IE8 doesn't display framed site

Dave Haigh

IE8 doesn't display framed site
I have an internal website where the index.html file defines frames and the
files for those frames. IE7 displays it correctly. In IE8 each frame says it
can't load the file. If I open each of the files for the frames seperately,
in the same tab of IE8 and then open the index.html file it displays all the
frames properly. If I open a new tab it will not display correctly in that
tab. The site works perfectly in Mozilla & Chrome.

Any ideas what I need to change in IE8 for this to work correctly?
C A Upsdell

Re: IE8 doesn't display framed site
On 2010-02-10 14:47, Dave Haigh wrote:
> I have an internal website where the index.html file defines frames and the
> files for those frames. IE7 displays it correctly. In IE8 each frame says it
> can't load the file. If I open each of the files for the frames seperately,
> in the same tab of IE8 and then open the index.html file it displays all the
> frames properly. If I open a new tab it will not display correctly in that
> tab. The site works perfectly in Mozilla& Chrome.
>
> Any ideas what I need to change in IE8 for this to work correctly?

Without seeing the page it is hard to say, but two suggestions:

1. Make sure your HTML and CSS are valid.

2. As a security measure IE8 can refuse to frame a page. Google on the
meta tag <meta http-equiv="x-frame-options" content="deny">
rob^_^

Re: IE8 doesn't display framed site
Hi Dave,

Tools>Internet Options - Security tab, click "Reset all zones to default"

If your web pages do not work in a version of IE but does work in the
'other' browsers then it is because of IE's security zone settings.

Always target IE's default security zone settings. What zones are your index
and frameset pages loading in?

Also validate your frameset (index) and iframe page at validator.w3.org
(F12>Validate>Markup). IE is now more standards compliant and is less
tolerant of malformed markup (viz... does not fill in the blanks).

Usually during testing I turn off "Automatically recover from rendering
errors with Compatibility View" on the Advanced tab of Internet Options to
make sure IE8 DOES NOT try to correct my mistakes with compatibility view.
Code to the standards of your chosen DTD and IE works fine, feed it junk and
it can choke or trip to IE7 emulation mode.

Regards.