IE8 won't install due to previous IE on computer

petluvr

IE8 won't install due to previous IE on computer
I tried to download IE8. After it downloaded, I got a message that it
wouldn't install due to the fact that there was another version of IE already
on my computer. I fail to see how I can get around this as logically, if I
remove my current IE, I won't be able to get onto the internet to download IE
8. Not only that, but I have no idea where the downloaded file went if I am
supposed to use that after removal of my previous version. I'm stuck! Help!
Alan Edwards

Re: IE8 won't install due to previous IE on computer
You are not supposed to remove an older version before installing IE8.
What version do you have now?
What operating system?

....Alan
http://dts-l.com/index.htm

On Tue, 9 Feb 2010 16:40:08 -0800, in
microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general, petluvr
<petluvr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I tried to download IE8. After it downloaded, I got a message that it
>wouldn't install due to the fact that there was another version of IE already
>on my computer. I fail to see how I can get around this as logically, if I
>remove my current IE, I won't be able to get onto the internet to download IE
>8. Not only that, but I have no idea where the downloaded file went if I am
>supposed to use that after removal of my previous version. I'm stuck! Help!

Bob

Re: IE8 won't install due to previous IE on computer
How to solve Internet Explorer 8 installation problem

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949220

"petluvr" <petluvr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I tried to download IE8. After it downloaded, I got a message that it
> wouldn't install due to the fact that there was another version of IE
> already
> on my computer. I fail to see how I can get around this as logically, if I
> remove my current IE, I won't be able to get onto the internet to download
> IE
> 8. Not only that, but I have no idea where the downloaded file went if I
> am
> supposed to use that after removal of my previous version. I'm stuck!
> Help!

Re: IE8 won't install due to previous IE on computer
Windows version is...?

petluvr wrote:
> I tried to download IE8. After it downloaded, I got a message that it
> wouldn't install due to the fact that there was another version of IE
> already on my computer. I fail to see how I can get around this as
> logically, if I remove my current IE, I won't be able to get onto the
> internet to download IE
> 8. Not only that, but I have no idea where the downloaded file went if I
> am
> supposed to use that after removal of my previous version. I'm stuck!
> Help!

VanguardLH

petluvr wrote:

> I tried to download IE8. After it downloaded, I got a message that it
> wouldn't install due to the fact that there was another version of IE already
> on my computer. I fail to see how I can get around this as logically, if I
> remove my current IE, I won't be able to get onto the internet to download IE
> 8. Not only that, but I have no idea where the downloaded file went if I am
> supposed to use that after removal of my previous version. I'm stuck! Help!

Oh yeah, like we are supposed to GUESS at which version of Windows you are
using. If Windows 7 or Windows Server 2003 RC2, "removing" IE8 in the
Windows Components is *not* uninstalling it, just disabling it. It's still
there when disabled.

--- Posting Hints ---

ALWAYS REVIEW your message before submitting it. You want someone OTHER
than yourself to understand your post. Also remember that no one here is
looking over your shoulder to see at what you are pointing. If you don't
well explain your situation by providing the details that you already know,
don't expect others to know what is your situation. Explain YOUR computing
environment and just what actions you take to reproduce the problem.

Often you get just one chance per potential respondent to elicit a reply
from them. If they skip your post because you gave them nothing to go on
(no details, no versions, no OS, no context) then they will usually move on
to the next post and never return to yours.

What is Usenet:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usenet
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newsgroups
http://www.masonicinfo.com/newsgroups.htm
http://www.mcfedries.com/Ramblings/usenet-primer.asp

When using a webnews-for-dummies interface, like Microsoft's Communities or
Google Groups or a forum-to-Usenet proxy, those are gateways to Usenet.
Despite the appearance of a forum, you are participating in a newsgroup (aka
Usenet).

How to post to newsgroups:
http://66.39.69.143/goodpost.htm
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
http://www.mugsy.org/asa_faq/getting_along/usenet.shtml

Regarding error or status messages:
- Do NOT omit the message.
- Do NOT describe the message.
- Do NOT summarize the message.
- Do NOT paraphrase the message.
- Do NOT truncate the message.
- Do show the ENTIRE message (but munge or star out personal info,
like your username in an e-mail address but not the domain).