Re: Problems with IE 8

[Crosspost to IE General]

Those with IE7- and/or IE8-specific questions or comments can post to and
seek support in IE General newsgroup:

On the web:

In your newsreader:

Resources:

Hyperlinks do not work in Outlook Express after you upgrade to IE7 [and/or
IE8]
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929867

(only) is available via telephone (based on your locale) and has been
extended until 02 July 2010. Customers must be running Windows XP or Windows
Vista in a non-domain environment.

=> US & CA Residents: 1-866-234-6020
=> Other locales:
https://support.microsoft.com/oas/de...px?&prid=13043

My personal recommendations include:

=> Install IE8 manually, not via Windows Update/Automatic Updates!! =>
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/int...ide-sites.aspx

NB WinXP users: Save the installer to your desktop, do not Run it. When
you're prepared to install IE8, double-click on the saved file.

NB Vista users: Save the installer to your desktop, do not Run it. When
you're prepared to install IE8, right-click on the saved file and select Run
as Administator.

=> Uninstall all third-party toolbars (e.g., Google; Yahoo; Windows Live)
and third-party Windows Themes before installing IE8.

=> Close all open applications (i.e., anything with a taskbar icon) before
installing or uninstalling IE8.

=> I would strongly recommend disabling your anti-virus application and any
anti-spyware application's "system protections" (other than Defender's)
before installing (or uninstalling) an IE upgrade. If you're running a
third-party firewall, I would recommend disabling it and then enabling the
Windows Firewall before installing (or uninstalling) an IE upgrade.

=> Create a Restore Point manually before installing IE8. [Do NOT use
System Restore to remove/uninstall IE8; instead, see
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700. Then use the Restore Point prior to
reinstalling IE8 per these recommendations. Norton users will need to see
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/symantecdoc1.html.]

NB WinXP users=> Reboot twice after installing or uninstalling IE8, then go
to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com | Select CUSTOM and scan | Install any
Critical Security Updates offered (i.e., KB976325). If a Root Certificates
update is listed in the Optional Updates category, install it to take full
advantage of IE's enhanced security.

NB Vista users=> Reboot twice after installing or uninstalling IE8, then
check-in at Windows Update and install any critical security updates
offered.

=> For best chance of success with IE8, make certain that your anti-virus
application version, any anti-spyware applications (other than Defender),
and your third-party firewall (if any) are supported in IE8 before you
decide install it.

Homer wrote:
> I currently am running IE 6 however there are a number of sites that I go
> frequently that just don't function properly. I would like to upgrade to
> IE
> 8 but I had such problems with IE 7, especially regarding Outlook Express
> that I'm concerned about installing IE 8. I've also read about problems
> with IE 8 as well. Is there any justification for my concern?

Homer

Re: Problems with IE 8
Thanks for the quick response. I've followed your instructions and IE8
appears to be working OK. However, should I have a problem, and I would want
to unistall, I wasn't able to get the article you suggested:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700.
When I clicked on the link, I received a message that it was not available.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> [...]
> check-in at Windows Update and install any critical security updates
> offered.
>
> => For best chance of success with IE8, make certain that your anti-virus
> application version, any anti-spyware applications (other than Defender),
> and your third-party firewall (if any) are supported in IE8 before you
> decide install it.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>

> Homer wrote:
> > I currently am running IE 6 however there are a number of sites that I go
> > frequently that just don't function properly. I would like to upgrade to
> > IE
> > 8 but I had such problems with IE 7, especially regarding Outlook Express
> > that I'm concerned about installing IE 8. I've also read about problems
> > with IE 8 as well. Is there any justification for my concern?

Alan Edwards

Re: Problems with IE 8
Try the link again.
It worked for me just now.

....Alan
http://dts-l.com/index.htm

On Tue, 9 Feb 2010 12:50:01 -0800, in
microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser, Homer
<Homer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Thanks for the quick response. I've followed your instructions and IE8
>appears to be working OK. However, should I have a problem, and I would want
>to unistall, I wasn't able to get the article you suggested:
>http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700
>When I clicked on the link, I received a message that it was not available.

Homer

Re: Problems with IE 8
I just tried it again. It said it could find the page.

"Alan Edwards" wrote:

> Try the link again.
> It worked for me just now.
>
> ....Alan
> --
> Alan Edwards, MS MVP Windows - Internet Explorer
> http://dts-l.com/index.htm
>

> On Tue, 9 Feb 2010 12:50:01 -0800, in
> microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser, Homer
> <Homer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Thanks for the quick response. I've followed your instructions and IE8
> >appears to be working OK. However, should I have a problem, and I would want
> >to unistall, I wasn't able to get the article you suggested:
> >http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700
> >When I clicked on the link, I received a message that it was not available.

> .

Alan Edwards

Re: Problems with IE 8
Still works for me. Copy and paste it again.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700

I assume you cannot just click the link above as you are not using a
newsreader.
You will get a far better experience of newsgroups if you use a proper
newsreader instead of that slow and quirky web interface you are
using.

Outlook Express Newsreader-Setting up
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/ou...snewreader.htm
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000...oups/setup.asp
http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/resou...tm#setupmsnews
http://rickrogers.org/setupoe.htm

Agent
http://www.forteinc.com/agent/index.php

.....Alan
http://dts-l.com/index.htm

On Tue, 9 Feb 2010 14:40:01 -0800, in
microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser, Homer
<Homer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I just tried it again. It said it could find the page.
>
>"Alan Edwards" wrote:
>
>> Try the link again.
>> It worked for me just now.
>>
>> ....Alan
>> --
>> Alan Edwards, MS MVP Windows - Internet Explorer
>> http://dts-l.com/index.htm
>>

>> On Tue, 9 Feb 2010 12:50:01 -0800, in
>> microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser, Homer
>> <Homer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> >Thanks for the quick response. I've followed your instructions and IE8
>> >appears to be working OK. However, should I have a problem, and I would want
>> >to unistall, I wasn't able to get the article you suggested:
>> >http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700
>> >When I clicked on the link, I received a message that it was not available.

>> .

Re: Problems with IE 8

it)?
--
~PA Bear

Homer wrote:
> I just tried it again. It said it could find the page.
>
>> Try the link again.
>> It worked for me just now.
>>
>>> Thanks for the quick response. I've followed your instructions and IE8
>>> appears to be working OK. However, should I have a problem, and I would
>>> want to unistall, I wasn't able to get the article you suggested:
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700
>>> When I clicked on the link, I received a message that it was not
>>> available. .

Homer

Re: Problems with IE 8
I'm running Norton AV, it is current, I don't have a third party firewall,
the anti spyware is part of Norton. None of those applications were running.
Per your instructions I did have the Windows firewall running during the
downloaed. When I tried the links for unistalling IE8 was after I installed
IE8 and I restored my anti virus and turned off the windows firewall and
turned on the firewall from Norton.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> What third-party firewall (if any)? Were any of these applications running
> in the background when you installed IE8?

> computer (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you bought
> it)?
> --
> ~PA Bear
>
> Homer wrote:
> > I just tried it again. It said it could find the page.
> >
> >> Try the link again.
> >> It worked for me just now.

> .

Homer

Re: Problems with IE 8
Please disrecard my last response. I was clicking on the link in your
response. I just noticed that there was a period at the end of the link. I
cut and pasted it without the period and it worked fine. Sorry.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> What third-party firewall (if any)? Were any of these applications running
> in the background when you installed IE8?

> computer (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you bought
> it)?
> --
> ~PA Bear
>
> Homer wrote:
> > I just tried it again. It said it could find the page.
> >
> >> Try the link again.
> >> It worked for me just now.

> .

Re: Problems with IE 8
[Yes, I saw your other post about the period and the link.]

Repost:

Homer wrote:
> I'm running Norton AV, it is current, I don't have a third party firewall,
> the anti spyware is part of Norton. None of those applications were
> running.
> Per your instructions I did have the Windows firewall running during the
> downloaed. When I tried the links for unistalling IE8 was after I
> installed
> IE8 and I restored my anti virus and turned off the windows firewall and
> turned on the firewall from Norton.
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

>> applications running in the background when you installed IE8?

>> bought
>> it)?
>> --
>> ~PA Bear
>>
>> Homer wrote:
>>> I just tried it again. It said it could find the page.

>> .

Homer

Re: Problems with IE 8
Thanks for all of your help on this problem. I downloaded IE8 on all 3 of my
machines following all of your instructions. The day following my
installation on one of my machines I started having NAV launch on the desktop
by itself. I've several chat sessions with Symantec with no resolution.
They seem to think that the problem is that I have email protection turned
off. I've always had it turned off on all my machines without a problem.
This started to happen after I installed IE8. Is there possibly some
connection?