How do I turn off the information bar?

JGreg7

How do I turn off the information bar?
The information bar just will no go away. I have followed the usual steps of
allowing "Allow active content to run in files on My Computer", tuning it off
at the pop-up blocker, turn off the Information Bar for ActiveX controls, etc.

However, with recent MS Security updates the information bar returns and
does not seem to respond when I turn these usual features off.

Is there a way to kill this thing permanently? Alternatively, does anyone
have a batch file or registry key that I can run when it returns?

--
Thank you,
John Gregory

Re: How do I turn off the information bar?
And the problem or the prompt you want to go away would be...?

Windows version? IE version?

JGreg7 wrote:
> The information bar just will no go away. I have followed the usual steps
> of allowing "Allow active content to run in files on My Computer", tuning
> it off at the pop-up blocker, turn off the Information Bar for ActiveX
> controls, etc.
>
> However, with recent MS Security updates the information bar returns and
> does not seem to respond when I turn these usual features off.
>
> Is there a way to kill this thing permanently? Alternatively, does anyone
> have a batch file or registry key that I can run when it returns?

JGreg7

Re: How do I turn off the information bar?
Sorry, I forgot to add the details

Windows XP, SP2, IE7

I want to turn off the information bar entirely. I do not want it to stop
web pages loading and flash waiting for me to OK it. In some cases, even
clicking on it does no good, it simply will not let the web page load.

It also returns when MS installs updates, so I want an easy way to disable
it if possible.

--
Thank you,
John Gregory

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> And the problem or the prompt you want to go away would be...?
>
> Windows version? IE version?
>

> JGreg7 wrote:
> > The information bar just will no go away. I have followed the usual steps
> > of allowing "Allow active content to run in files on My Computer", tuning
> > it off at the pop-up blocker, turn off the Information Bar for ActiveX
> > controls, etc.
> >
> > However, with recent MS Security updates the information bar returns and
> > does not seem to respond when I turn these usual features off.
> >
> > Is there a way to kill this thing permanently? Alternatively, does anyone
> > have a batch file or registry key that I can run when it returns?

> .

Re: How do I turn off the information bar?
Uninstall IE7.

JGreg7 wrote:
> Sorry, I forgot to add the details
>
> Windows XP, SP2, IE7
>
> I want to turn off the information bar entirely. I do not want it to stop
> web pages loading and flash waiting for me to OK it. In some cases, even
> clicking on it does no good, it simply will not let the web page load.
>
> It also returns when MS installs updates, so I want an easy way to disable
> it if possible.
>

>> And the problem or the prompt you want to go away would be...?
>>
>> Windows version? IE version?
>>

>> JGreg7 wrote:
>>> The information bar just will no go away. I have followed the usual
>>> steps
>>> of allowing "Allow active content to run in files on My Computer",
>>> tuning
>>> it off at the pop-up blocker, turn off the Information Bar for ActiveX
>>> controls, etc.
>>>
>>> However, with recent MS Security updates the information bar returns and
>>> does not seem to respond when I turn these usual features off.
>>>
>>> Is there a way to kill this thing permanently? Alternatively, does
>>> anyone
>>> have a batch file or registry key that I can run when it returns?

>> .

VanguardLH

JGreg7 wrote:

> The information bar just will no go away. I have followed the usual steps of
> allowing "Allow active content to run in files on My Computer", tuning it off
> at the pop-up blocker, turn off the Information Bar for ActiveX controls, etc.
>
> However, with recent MS Security updates the information bar returns and
> does not seem to respond when I turn these usual features off.
>
> Is there a way to kill this thing permanently? Alternatively, does anyone
> have a batch file or registry key that I can run when it returns?

Since you are not interested in a secure computer, you could just go into
the Internet Options -> Security tab and lower security on the Internet zone
to its minimum. Then sites can do whatever they want through your web
browser to pollute your host.

Security and ease-of-use are the antithesis of each other. To get more of
one, you have to give up some of the other.
JGreg7

Re: How do I turn off the information bar?
Thank you for your response. I thought about it for a while, and decided it
was good advice. I installed Firefox and found it to be much faster and more
reliable. Web pages that I was having trouble with load quickly on the first
try... and no information bar!

Firefox however, does not seem to work with every page (same issue with
IE7), so I will keep both and use one where the other is lacking.

At least now I have a choice.

--
Thank you,
John Gregory

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Uninstall IE7.
>
> JGreg7 wrote:
> > Sorry, I forgot to add the details
> >
> > Windows XP, SP2, IE7
> >
> > I want to turn off the information bar entirely. I do not want it to stop
> > web pages loading and flash waiting for me to OK it. In some cases, even
> > clicking on it does no good, it simply will not let the web page load.
> >
> > It also returns when MS installs updates, so I want an easy way to disable
> > it if possible.
> >

> >> And the problem or the prompt you want to go away would be...?
> >>
> >> Windows version? IE version?

> >> .

> .

John Smith

Re: How do I turn off the information bar?
thanks

"JGreg7" <JGreg7@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thank you for your response. I thought about it for a while, and decided
> it
> was good advice. I installed Firefox and found it to be much faster and
> more
> reliable. Web pages that I was having trouble with load quickly on the
> first
> try... and no information bar!
>
> Firefox however, does not seem to work with every page (same issue with
> IE7), so I will keep both and use one where the other is lacking.
>
> At least now I have a choice.
>
> --
> Thank you,
> John Gregory
>

> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Uninstall IE7.
>>
>> JGreg7 wrote:
>> > Sorry, I forgot to add the details
>> >
>> > Windows XP, SP2, IE7
>> >
>> > I want to turn off the information bar entirely. I do not want it to
>> > stop
>> > web pages loading and flash waiting for me to OK it. In some cases,
>> > even
>> > clicking on it does no good, it simply will not let the web page load.
>> >
>> > It also returns when MS installs updates, so I want an easy way to
>> > disable
>> > it if possible.

>> .

davidp