How Do I Repair IE 8?

Stewart Berman

How Do I Repair IE 8?
Windows Ultimate x64
IE 8

I have been having problems with IE where it will say it cannot display the
web page and then does it when I click on refresh.

However, I have now hit a problem where it just won't display the web page
not matter what I do.

I connected to www.nirsoft.net and IE displayed the home page. I then
clicked on a link on that page to www.nirsoft.net/utils/index.html.

IE issued its "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage". When I
clicked on details it said:
Internet connectivity has been lost.
The website is temporarily unavailable.
The Domain Name Server (DNS) is not reachable.
The Domain Name Server (DNS) does not have a listing for the website's
domain.
There might be a typing error in the address.
If this is an HTTPS (secure) address, click Tools, click Internet Options,
click Advanced, and check to be sure the SSL and TLS protocols are enabled
under the security section.

None of which apply because I can display the home page of the web site.
Please note that IE did not throw a page not found error.

I can reach the same page from my XP Pro SP3 machine that is connected to
the same router.

I have tried shutting down my firewall and anti-virus software and that
didn't help.

What is really strange is that if I run a virtual machine in VirtualBox
using the Windows 7 Ultimate x64 machine as the host and run Windows 7
Ultimate x64 in the VM I can access the web page using IE 8 in the VM.

While I was writing this I downloaded and installed Chrome. It has no
problem in accessing and displaying the problem web page. IE 8 still cannot
display it.

It appears something is broken in IE8 on this machine. How do I repair it?
Don Varnau

Re: How Do I Repair IE 8?
Hi,
I'm guessing the problem is with 32-bit IE8, right?
- - - - -
I would first try resetting IE settings.
With the warning that a reset will delete AutoComplete data, such as
passwords and you will have to reinstall or re-enable browser add-ons, use
the Reset Internet Explorer Settings button (Internet Options> Advanced.)

Useful for recovering stored passwords before you clear all stored login
data:
IE PassView- NirSoft:
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/interne..._password.html

What a reset of IE settings will do:

Reset Internet Explorer settings [Windows 7]:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/w...lorer-settings
- - - - -
Next, create and run the script/bat file by OnyXxl in this thread:
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...b-b69b8535a7bb
- -
Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"Stewart Berman" <saberman@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
> Windows Ultimate x64
> IE 8
>
> I have been having problems with IE where it will say it cannot display

the
> web page and then does it when I click on refresh.
>
> However, I have now hit a problem where it just won't display the web page
> not matter what I do.
>
> I connected to www.nirsoft.net and IE displayed the home page. I then
> clicked on a link on that page to www.nirsoft.net/utils/index.html.
>
> IE issued its "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage". When I
> clicked on details it said:
> Internet connectivity has been lost.
> The website is temporarily unavailable.
> The Domain Name Server (DNS) is not reachable.
> The Domain Name Server (DNS) does not have a listing for the website's
> domain.
> There might be a typing error in the address.
> If this is an HTTPS (secure) address, click Tools, click Internet Options,
> click Advanced, and check to be sure the SSL and TLS protocols are enabled
> under the security section.
>
> None of which apply because I can display the home page of the web site.
> Please note that IE did not throw a page not found error.
>
> I can reach the same page from my XP Pro SP3 machine that is connected to
> the same router.
>
> I have tried shutting down my firewall and anti-virus software and that
> didn't help.
>
> What is really strange is that if I run a virtual machine in VirtualBox
> using the Windows 7 Ultimate x64 machine as the host and run Windows 7
> Ultimate x64 in the VM I can access the web page using IE 8 in the VM.
>
> While I was writing this I downloaded and installed Chrome. It has no
> problem in accessing and displaying the problem web page. IE 8 still

cannot
> display it.
>
> It appears something is broken in IE8 on this machine. How do I repair

it?

Stewart Berman

Re: How Do I Repair IE 8?
>http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/interne..._password.html

That is the web site I am having the most problems with. I had to use
Chrome to download the file. Unfortunately, it requires an administrative
password and when I give it that it runs in the context of the administrator
and not mine.

I did the reset anyway and when IE went through its initialization I told it
not to send web sites to Microsoft to check. It didn't help.

I tried the script running as an administrator and got one error:

C:\Windows\system32>reg add
"HKCR\TypeLib\{EAB22AC0-30C1-11CF-A7EB-0000C05BAE0B}
\1.1\0\win32" /ve /t REG_SZ /d C:\Windows\system32\ieframe.dll /f
ERROR: Access is denied.

Still cannot display:
http://nirsoft.net/utils/index.html

Tried turning off protected mode -- no help.

"Don Varnau" <don_04[at]varnau[dot]org> wrote:

> [...]

>> None of which apply because I can display the home page of the web site.
>> Please note that IE did not throw a page not found error.
>>
>> I can reach the same page from my XP Pro SP3 machine that is connected to
>> the same router.
>>
>> I have tried shutting down my firewall and anti-virus software and that
>> didn't help.
>>
>> What is really strange is that if I run a virtual machine in VirtualBox
>> using the Windows 7 Ultimate x64 machine as the host and run Windows 7
>> Ultimate x64 in the VM I can access the web page using IE 8 in the VM.
>>
>> While I was writing this I downloaded and installed Chrome. It has no
>> problem in accessing and displaying the problem web page. IE 8 still

>cannot
>> display it.
>>
>> It appears something is broken in IE8 on this machine. How do I repair

Reteng

RE: How Do I Repair IE 8?
I was experiencing similar problems with the x64 IE8 in my Vista Ultimate
x64. Gave up on trying to resolve and installed the x86 (32-bit) version.
Slower, but more reliable so I use it.
Does anyone know of problems due to having both x64 & x86 versions installed
and selectively using one or the other?

"Stewart Berman" wrote:

> Windows Ultimate x64
> IE 8
>
> I have been having problems with IE where it will say it cannot display the
> web page and then does it when I click on refresh.
>
> However, I have now hit a problem where it just won't display the web page
> not matter what I do.
>
> I connected to www.nirsoft.net and IE displayed the home page. I then
> clicked on a link on that page to www.nirsoft.net/utils/index.html.
>
> IE issued its "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage". When I
> clicked on details it said:
> Internet connectivity has been lost.
> The website is temporarily unavailable.
> The Domain Name Server (DNS) is not reachable.
> The Domain Name Server (DNS) does not have a listing for the website's
> domain.
> There might be a typing error in the address.
> If this is an HTTPS (secure) address, click Tools, click Internet Options,
> click Advanced, and check to be sure the SSL and TLS protocols are enabled
> under the security section.
>
> None of which apply because I can display the home page of the web site.
> Please note that IE did not throw a page not found error.
>
> I can reach the same page from my XP Pro SP3 machine that is connected to
> the same router.
>
> I have tried shutting down my firewall and anti-virus software and that
> didn't help.
>
> What is really strange is that if I run a virtual machine in VirtualBox
> using the Windows 7 Ultimate x64 machine as the host and run Windows 7
> Ultimate x64 in the VM I can access the web page using IE 8 in the VM.
>
> While I was writing this I downloaded and installed Chrome. It has no
> problem in accessing and displaying the problem web page. IE 8 still cannot
> display it.
>
> It appears something is broken in IE8 on this machine. How do I repair it?
> .

Stewart Berman

Re: How Do I Repair IE 8?
The x86 (32 bit) is part of Windows 7 Ultimate x64 and is the browser I
normally use. I just tried the x64 version and got the same results.

Compatibility mode does not help in either browser.

It appears that whatever was the problem with the x64 browser in Vista has
now impacted the x86 browser as well.

I am now forced to use Chrome although I do not like the way it looks, it
does work reliably. Will probably try FireFox as well.

Reteng <Reteng@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I was experiencing similar problems with the x64 IE8 in my Vista Ultimate
>x64. Gave up on trying to resolve and installed the x86 (32-bit) version.
>Slower, but more reliable so I use it.
>Does anyone know of problems due to having both x64 & x86 versions installed
>and selectively using one or the other?
>
>"Stewart Berman" wrote:
>
>> Windows Ultimate x64
>> IE 8
>>
>> I have been having problems with IE where it will say it cannot display the
>> web page and then does it when I click on refresh.
>>
>> However, I have now hit a problem where it just won't display the web page
>> not matter what I do.
>>
>> I connected to www.nirsoft.net and IE displayed the home page. I then
>> clicked on a link on that page to www.nirsoft.net/utils/index.html.
>>
>> IE issued its "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage". When I
>> clicked on details it said:
>> Internet connectivity has been lost.
>> The website is temporarily unavailable.
>> The Domain Name Server (DNS) is not reachable.
>> The Domain Name Server (DNS) does not have a listing for the website's
>> domain.
>> There might be a typing error in the address.
>> If this is an HTTPS (secure) address, click Tools, click Internet Options,
>> click Advanced, and check to be sure the SSL and TLS protocols are enabled
>> under the security section.
>>
>> None of which apply because I can display the home page of the web site.
>> Please note that IE did not throw a page not found error.
>>
>> I can reach the same page from my XP Pro SP3 machine that is connected to
>> the same router.
>>
>> I have tried shutting down my firewall and anti-virus software and that
>> didn't help.
>>
>> What is really strange is that if I run a virtual machine in VirtualBox
>> using the Windows 7 Ultimate x64 machine as the host and run Windows 7
>> Ultimate x64 in the VM I can access the web page using IE 8 in the VM.
>>
>> While I was writing this I downloaded and installed Chrome. It has no
>> problem in accessing and displaying the problem web page. IE 8 still cannot
>> display it.
>>
>> It appears something is broken in IE8 on this machine. How do I repair it?
>> .

Reteng

Re: How Do I Repair IE 8?
Thanks for the info. I plan to migrate to Win7-Ultimate in a couple of weeks.
Good luck, and please post if you solve.

"Stewart Berman" wrote:

> The x86 (32 bit) is part of Windows 7 Ultimate x64 and is the browser I
> normally use. I just tried the x64 version and got the same results.
>
> Compatibility mode does not help in either browser.
>
> It appears that whatever was the problem with the x64 browser in Vista has
> now impacted the x86 browser as well.
>
> I am now forced to use Chrome although I do not like the way it looks, it
> does work reliably. Will probably try FireFox as well.
>
> Reteng <Reteng@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I was experiencing similar problems with the x64 IE8 in my Vista Ultimate
> >x64. Gave up on trying to resolve and installed the x86 (32-bit) version.
> >Slower, but more reliable so I use it.
> >Does anyone know of problems due to having both x64 & x86 versions installed
> >and selectively using one or the other?
> >
> >"Stewart Berman" wrote:
> >
> >> Windows Ultimate x64
> >> IE 8
> >>
> >> I have been having problems with IE where it will say it cannot display the
> >> web page and then does it when I click on refresh.
> >>
> >> However, I have now hit a problem where it just won't display the web page
> >> not matter what I do.
> >>
> >> I connected to www.nirsoft.net and IE displayed the home page. I then
> >> clicked on a link on that page to www.nirsoft.net/utils/index.html.
> >>
> >> IE issued its "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage". When I
> >> clicked on details it said:
> >> Internet connectivity has been lost.
> >> The website is temporarily unavailable.
> >> The Domain Name Server (DNS) is not reachable.
> >> The Domain Name Server (DNS) does not have a listing for the website's
> >> domain.
> >> There might be a typing error in the address.
> >> If this is an HTTPS (secure) address, click Tools, click Internet Options,
> >> click Advanced, and check to be sure the SSL and TLS protocols are enabled
> >> under the security section.
> >>
> >> None of which apply because I can display the home page of the web site.
> >> Please note that IE did not throw a page not found error.
> >>
> >> I can reach the same page from my XP Pro SP3 machine that is connected to
> >> the same router.
> >>
> >> I have tried shutting down my firewall and anti-virus software and that
> >> didn't help.
> >>
> >> What is really strange is that if I run a virtual machine in VirtualBox
> >> using the Windows 7 Ultimate x64 machine as the host and run Windows 7
> >> Ultimate x64 in the VM I can access the web page using IE 8 in the VM.
> >>
> >> While I was writing this I downloaded and installed Chrome. It has no
> >> problem in accessing and displaying the problem web page. IE 8 still cannot
> >> display it.
> >>
> >> It appears something is broken in IE8 on this machine. How do I repair it?
> >> .
> >>

> .

Re: How Do I Repair IE 8?
Did you upgrade to Win7 64-bit?

Do you see the same behavior in IE8 32-bit and IE8 64-bit?

What third-party firewall (if any)?

it)?

Did the problem first start immediately after you installed KB978207?

Stewart Berman wrote:
> Windows Ultimate x64
> IE 8
>
> I have been having problems with IE where it will say it cannot display
> the
> web page and then does it when I click on refresh.
>
> However, I have now hit a problem where it just won't display the web page
> not matter what I do.
>
> I connected to www.nirsoft.net and IE displayed the home page. I then
> clicked on a link on that page to www.nirsoft.net/utils/index.html.
>
> IE issued its "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage". When I
> clicked on details it said:
> Internet connectivity has been lost.
> The website is temporarily unavailable.
> The Domain Name Server (DNS) is not reachable.
> The Domain Name Server (DNS) does not have a listing for the website's
> domain.
> There might be a typing error in the address.
> If this is an HTTPS (secure) address, click Tools, click Internet Options,
> click Advanced, and check to be sure the SSL and TLS protocols are enabled
> under the security section.
>
> None of which apply because I can display the home page of the web site.
> Please note that IE did not throw a page not found error.
>
> I can reach the same page from my XP Pro SP3 machine that is connected to
> the same router.
>
> I have tried shutting down my firewall and anti-virus software and that
> didn't help.
>
> What is really strange is that if I run a virtual machine in VirtualBox
> using the Windows 7 Ultimate x64 machine as the host and run Windows 7
> Ultimate x64 in the VM I can access the web page using IE 8 in the VM.
>
> While I was writing this I downloaded and installed Chrome. It has no
> problem in accessing and displaying the problem web page. IE 8 still
> cannot
> display it.
>
> It appears something is broken in IE8 on this machine. How do I repair
> it?

Stewart Berman

Re: How Do I Repair IE 8?
"PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote:

>Did you upgrade to Win7 64-bit?

No. This was a clean install.

>Do you see the same behavior in IE8 32-bit and IE8 64-bit?

Yes.

>What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your
>subscription current? What anti-spyware applications (other than Defender)?
>What third-party firewall (if any)?

ZoneAlarms Internet Suite (but it occurs with ZA shutdown.

>Has a(another) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on the
>computer (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you bought
>it)?

No.

>Did the problem first start immediately after you installed KB978207?

I first hit it hard 16 days after KB978207 was installed. Before that
retrying would bring up the page.

Some additional information:
When I cannot reach the web page vie http://<domain name>/folder/index.html
I can reach it via http://<IP Address>/folder/index.html.
This appears similar to the problem of not being able to reach members of a
workgroup via the computer name but being able to reach them via their IP
address. Although I have not had the LAN problem in a while.
Jim

Re: How Do I Repair IE 8?

> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Did you upgrade to Win7 64-bit?

> No. This was a clean install.
>

>>Do you see the same behavior in IE8 32-bit and IE8 64-bit?

> Yes.
>

>>What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your
>>subscription current? What anti-spyware applications (other than
>>Defender)?
>>What third-party firewall (if any)?

> ZoneAlarms Internet Suite (but it occurs with ZA shutdown.
>

>>Has a(another) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on the
>>computer (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you
>>bought
>>it)?
>>

> No.
>
>>Did the problem first start immediately after you installed KB978207?

> I first hit it hard 16 days after KB978207 was installed. Before that
> retrying would bring up the page.
>
> Some additional information:
> When I cannot reach the web page vie http://<domain
> name>/folder/index.html
> I can reach it via http://<IP Address>/folder/index.html.
> This appears similar to the problem of not being able to reach members of
> workgroup via the computer name but being able to reach them via their IP
> address. Although I have not had the LAN problem in a while.

DNS isn't working right. Post the results of ipconfig/all.
Jim

Jim

Re: How Do I Repair IE 8?