Re: Internet Explorer

[Crosspost to IE General newsgroup]

Assuming you installed KB978207 two weeks ago, just before the problem
started...

Error message after you install a Windows Internet Explorer update from
Windows Update or from Microsoft Update: "Webpage cannot be displayed":
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942818

If tweaking your third-party firewall's settings don't help, try the
following:

1. Disable your anti-virus application, all Norton Add-ons (if any), any
real-time protection provided by an anti-spyware application (except for
Windows Defender; includes Spybot Tea Timer, SpySweeper Guards, Ad-Aware
Ad-Watch & Guard, etc.), disable any third-party firewall AND THEN enable
the Windows Firewall.

browsing; reading email; chatting) except #4 below until your anti-virus
application has been re-enabled! If you're running ZA Free firewall, you
may need to uninstall it instead of disabling it.

2. Uninstall "Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 8 (KB978207)"
via Add/Remove Programs (make sure Show Updates box is checked at top right)
and reboot.

3. Re-do #1 above.

4. WinXP: Go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com | Select CUSTOM and scan
| Install any Critical Security Updates offered (e.g., KB978207). If a Root
Certificates update is listed in the Optional Software updates category on
the left-hand side of the scan results window, install it to take full
advantage of IE's enhanced security.

5. Reboot & make sure everything in #1 above is enabled again and, if
applicable, disable the Windows Firewall and enable (or reinstall) your
third-party firewall.

=====================================

(and/or 1-866-234-6020 and/or 1-800-936-5700) in the United States and in
Canada or by contacting your local Microsoft subsidiary. There is no-charge
for support calls that are associated with security updates. When you call,
clearly state that your problem is related to a Security Update and cite the
update's KB number (e.g., KB978207).

LOOK! => If your problem relates to a Cumulative Security Update for IE
(e.g., KB978207), call the above number and ask to be transferred to the
Consumer IE7 queue (which is 47830).

Consumer Security Support home page & Microsoft Update Solution Center also
offer support options
http://support.microsoft.com/ph/6527#tab3

your usual support contacts.

Or you can...