IE 8 shuts down because of a "problem". And suggested fixes do not work

Ken Isaacson

IE 8 shuts down because of a "problem". And suggested fixes do not work
IE 8
Vista SP2

I've had it! I keep getting the "Explorer has encountered a problem and has
shut down" message. I've tried the suggested fixes, like disabling all
add-ons and resetting IE to default settings. Doesn't help.

What more can I do?

Many thanks.

Ken Isaacson
SILENT COUNSEL, a legal thriller
www.KenIsaacson.com

Leonard Grey

Re: IE 8 shuts down because of a "problem". And suggested fixes donot work
Does the message say Windows Explorer or Internet Explorer?
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

Ken Isaacson wrote:
> IE 8
> Vista SP2
>
> I've had it! I keep getting the "Explorer has encountered a problem and
> has shut down" message. I've tried the suggested fixes, like disabling
> all add-ons and resetting IE to default settings. Doesn't help.
>
> What more can I do?
>
> Many thanks.
>
> Ken Isaacson
> SILENT COUNSEL, a legal thriller
> www.KenIsaacson.com

Ken Isaacson

Re: IE 8 shuts down because of a "problem". And suggested fixes do not work
Sorry I wasn't more clear. It says Internet Explorer.

Thanks.

Ken

> Does the message say Windows Explorer or Internet Explorer?
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare humanum est
>
> Ken Isaacson wrote:
>> IE 8
>> Vista SP2
>>
>> I've had it! I keep getting the "Explorer has encountered a problem and
>> has shut down" message. I've tried the suggested fixes, like disabling
>> all add-ons and resetting IE to default settings. Doesn't help.
>>
>> What more can I do?
>>
>> Many thanks.
>>
>> Ken Isaacson
>> SILENT COUNSEL, a legal thriller
>> www.KenIsaacson.com

Leonard Grey

Re: IE 8 shuts down because of a "problem". And suggested fixes donot work
The three most likely causes for that message are:

1. Incompatible browser add-ons.
2. Configuration errors.
3. Malware.

I would say, conservatively, that one or more of the above is behind
99.5% of all appearances of the message.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

Ken Isaacson wrote:
> Sorry I wasn't more clear. It says Internet Explorer.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Ken

>> Does the message say Windows Explorer or Internet Explorer?
>> ---
>> Leonard Grey
>> Errare humanum est
>>
>> Ken Isaacson wrote:
>>> IE 8
>>> Vista SP2
>>>
>>> I've had it! I keep getting the "Explorer has encountered a problem
>>> and has shut down" message. I've tried the suggested fixes, like
>>> disabling all add-ons and resetting IE to default settings. Doesn't
>>> help.
>>>
>>> What more can I do?
>>>
>>> Many thanks.
>>>
>>> Ken Isaacson
>>> SILENT COUNSEL, a legal thriller
>>> www.KenIsaacson.com

Re: IE 8 shuts down because of a "problem". And suggested fixes do not work
in the background when you installed IE8 and/or SP2?

it)?

Ken Isaacson wrote:
> IE 8
> Vista SP2
>
> I've had it! I keep getting the "Explorer has encountered a problem and
> has
> shut down" message. I've tried the suggested fixes, like disabling all
> add-ons and resetting IE to default settings. Doesn't help.
>
> What more can I do?
>
> Many thanks.
>
> Ken Isaacson
> SILENT COUNSEL, a legal thriller
> www.KenIsaacson.com

Ken Isaacson

Re: IE 8 shuts down because of a "problem". And suggested fixes do not work
> subscription current?

--- McAfee Security Center, and it is current

> What anti-spyware applications (other than Defender)?

-- None, other than whatever's included in McAfee (if any?)

> What third-party firewall (if any)?

-- See above

> Were any of these applications running in the background when you
> installed IE8 and/or SP2?

-- Oh jeez. I can't remember back that far!

> computer (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you
> bought it)?

-- None except for McAfee referred to above.

I await your response!

Thanks.

Ken

> Defender)? What third-party firewall (if any)? Were any of these
> applications running in the background when you installed IE8 and/or SP2?

> computer (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you
> bought it)?
>
> Ken Isaacson wrote:
>> IE 8
>> Vista SP2
>>
>> I've had it! I keep getting the "Explorer has encountered a problem and
>> has
>> shut down" message. I've tried the suggested fixes, like disabling all
>> add-ons and resetting IE to default settings. Doesn't help.
>>
>> What more can I do?
>>
>> Many thanks.
>>
>> Ken Isaacson
>> SILENT COUNSEL, a legal thriller
>> www.KenIsaacson.com

Re: IE 8 shuts down because of a "problem". And suggested fixes do not work
Try this three-step fix from McAfee:
http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS100507

Ken Isaacson wrote:
>> subscription current?

> --- McAfee Security Center, and it is current
>
>> What anti-spyware applications (other than Defender)?

> -- None, other than whatever's included in McAfee (if any?)
>
>> What third-party firewall (if any)?

> -- See above
>
>> Were any of these applications running in the background when you
>> installed IE8 and/or SP2?

> -- Oh jeez. I can't remember back that far!

>> bought it)?

> -- None except for McAfee referred to above.
>
> I await your response!
>
> Thanks.
>
> Ken

>> applications running in the background when you installed IE8 and/or SP2?

>> bought it)?
>>
>> Ken Isaacson wrote:
>>> IE 8
>>> Vista SP2
>>>
>>> I've had it! I keep getting the "Explorer has encountered a problem and
>>> has
>>> shut down" message. I've tried the suggested fixes, like disabling all
>>> add-ons and resetting IE to default settings. Doesn't help.
>>>
>>> What more can I do?
>>>
>>> Many thanks.
>>>
>>> Ken Isaacson
>>> SILENT COUNSEL, a legal thriller
>>> www.KenIsaacson.com

Ken Isaacson

Re: IE 8 shuts down because of a "problem". And suggested fixes do not work
Have done the uninstall and reinstall of McAfee Security Center, and am now
awaiting to see if the InetExplorer errors recur. I'm starting with all
add-ons disabled in IE, and will proceed from there.

Thanks for your help. Will advise.

> Try this three-step fix from McAfee:
> http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS100507
>
> Ken Isaacson wrote:
>>> What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your
>>> subscription current?

>> --- McAfee Security Center, and it is current
>>
>>> What anti-spyware applications (other than Defender)?

>> -- None, other than whatever's included in McAfee (if any?)
>>
>>> What third-party firewall (if any)?

>> -- See above
>>
>>> Were any of these applications running in the background when you
>>> installed IE8 and/or SP2?

>> -- Oh jeez. I can't remember back that far!
>>
>>> Has a(another) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on the
>>> computer (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you
>>> bought it)?

>> -- None except for McAfee referred to above.
>>
>> I await your response!
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Ken

>>> What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your
>>> subscription current? What anti-spyware applications (other than
>>> Defender)? What third-party firewall (if any)? Were any of these
>>> applications running in the background when you installed IE8 and/or
>>> SP2?
>>>
>>> Has a(another) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on the
>>> computer (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you
>>> bought it)?

Ken Isaacson

Re: IE 8 shuts down because of a "problem". And suggested fixes do not work
OK. Just had my first instance of the IE error since uninstalling and
reinstalling McAfee.

I've confirmed that all add-ons are disabled.
I also did the "Reset IE setting so their default conditions" thing.

So now what? This is getting old.

Thanks!

Ken

> Try this three-step fix from McAfee:
> http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS100507
>
> Ken Isaacson wrote:
>>> What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your
>>> subscription current?

>> --- McAfee Security Center, and it is current
>>
>>> What anti-spyware applications (other than Defender)?

>> -- None, other than whatever's included in McAfee (if any?)
>>
>>> What third-party firewall (if any)?

>> -- See above
>>
>>> Were any of these applications running in the background when you
>>> installed IE8 and/or SP2?

>> -- Oh jeez. I can't remember back that far!
>>
>>> Has a(another) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on the
>>> computer (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you
>>> bought it)?

>> -- None except for McAfee referred to above.
>>
>> I await your response!
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Ken

>>> What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your
>>> subscription current? What anti-spyware applications (other than
>>> Defender)? What third-party firewall (if any)? Were any of these
>>> applications running in the background when you installed IE8 and/or
>>> SP2?
>>>
>>> Has a(another) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on the
>>> computer (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you
>>> bought it)?

Ken Isaacson

Re: IE 8 shuts down because of a "problem". And suggested fixes do not work
FWIW, since my last post, I uninstalled IE 8, disabled McAfee and
reinstalled IE 8. The IE error just recurred a moment ago after doing this.

Arghhhh!

Ken