Windows 7/IE8 Javascript will not run.

bugolax

Windows 7/IE8 Javascript will not run.
I am having major issues with IE8 recently. I get no error messages, things
just don't work. For example, I can't download files from sites, windows
update will not download files either. I viewed the html source on a
particular page that wasn't working and there was some text in the html that
said Javascript was not supported in my browser (but the text didn't show on
the screen).

FWIW, I have now installed both chrome and firefox and they don't have any
problems with javascript or download files, etc.

This problem started after I switched from McAfee to Norton Security Suite
(from Comcast). I have two other computers with identical setups that had no
issues with this. In any case, here is what I tried so far (nothing has
worked):

- Uninstalled Norton Security Suite
- I have checked all the security and advanced settings in ie8 to make sure
active scripting, security levels, etc are all ok.
- regsvr32 on jscript.dll and vbscript.dll
- deleted temporary internet files
- reset IE settings

I was trying to figure out how to uninstall IE8 but the two references I
found don't work for me:

1. One site said I should see IE8 in the windows features list from "Turn
Windows Features on/off" but it doesn't show up for me.
2. Another reference said it should show up in the Installed Updates list,
but my Installed Updates list is empty.

Anyone have any ideas on what else I could try?

Hot-text

Re: Windows 7/IE8 Javascript will not run.
If Javascript was not supported in your browser the text will show on the
screen.....

http://www.hot-text.ath.cx/jscript.html <<<<<a Javascript TEST For your IE
browser

"bugolax" <bugolax@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I am having major issues with IE8 recently. I get no error messages,
> things
> just don't work. For example, I can't download files from sites, windows
> update will not download files either. I viewed the html source on a
> particular page that wasn't working and there was some text in the html
> that
> said Javascript was not supported in my browser (but the text didn't show
> on
> the screen).
>
> FWIW, I have now installed both chrome and firefox and they don't have any
> problems with javascript or download files, etc.
>
> This problem started after I switched from McAfee to Norton Security Suite
> (from Comcast). I have two other computers with identical setups that had
> no
> issues with this. In any case, here is what I tried so far (nothing has
> worked):
>
> - Uninstalled Norton Security Suite
> - I have checked all the security and advanced settings in ie8 to make
> sure
> active scripting, security levels, etc are all ok.
> - regsvr32 on jscript.dll and vbscript.dll
> - deleted temporary internet files
> - reset IE settings
>
> I was trying to figure out how to uninstall IE8 but the two references I
> found don't work for me:
>
> 1. One site said I should see IE8 in the windows features list from "Turn
> Windows Features on/off" but it doesn't show up for me.
> 2. Another reference said it should show up in the Installed Updates list,
> but my Installed Updates list is empty.
>

> Anyone have any ideas on what else I could try?

Re: Windows 7/IE8 Javascript will not run.
1. Download the McAfee Consumer Products Removal Tool, saving it to your
desktop:
http://download.mcafee.com/products/...tches/MCPR.exe

2. Close all open applications (i.e., anything with an icon on the taskbar).

3. Right-click on the file you saved in #1 above and select Run as
Administrator to run the utility. Don't TOUCH your keyboard until the run
completes, then reboot.

bugolax wrote:
> I am having major issues with IE8 recently. I get no error messages,
> things
> just don't work. For example, I can't download files from sites, windows
> update will not download files either. I viewed the html source on a
> particular page that wasn't working and there was some text in the html
> that
> said Javascript was not supported in my browser (but the text didn't show
> on
> the screen).
>
> FWIW, I have now installed both chrome and firefox and they don't have any
> problems with javascript or download files, etc.
>
> This problem started after I switched from McAfee to Norton Security Suite
> (from Comcast). I have two other computers with identical setups that had
> no
> issues with this. In any case, here is what I tried so far (nothing has
> worked):
>
> - Uninstalled Norton Security Suite
> - I have checked all the security and advanced settings in ie8 to make
> sure
> active scripting, security levels, etc are all ok.
> - regsvr32 on jscript.dll and vbscript.dll
> - deleted temporary internet files
> - reset IE settings
>
> I was trying to figure out how to uninstall IE8 but the two references I
> found don't work for me:
>
> 1. One site said I should see IE8 in the windows features list from "Turn
> Windows Features on/off" but it doesn't show up for me.
> 2. Another reference said it should show up in the Installed Updates list,
> but my Installed Updates list is empty.
>

> Anyone have any ideas on what else I could try?

bugolax

Re: Windows 7/IE8 Javascript will not run.

That worked! Thank you very much.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> 1. Download the McAfee Consumer Products Removal Tool, saving it to your
> desktop:
> http://download.mcafee.com/products/...tches/MCPR.exe
>
> 2. Close all open applications (i.e., anything with an icon on the taskbar).
>
> 3. Right-click on the file you saved in #1 above and select Run as
> Administrator to run the utility. Don't TOUCH your keyboard until the run
> completes, then reboot.
>

> bugolax wrote:
> > I am having major issues with IE8 recently. I get no error messages,
> > things
> > just don't work. For example, I can't download files from sites, windows
> > update will not download files either. I viewed the html source on a
> > particular page that wasn't working and there was some text in the html
> > that
> > said Javascript was not supported in my browser (but the text didn't show
> > on
> > the screen).
> >
> > FWIW, I have now installed both chrome and firefox and they don't have any
> > problems with javascript or download files, etc.
> >
> > This problem started after I switched from McAfee to Norton Security Suite
> > (from Comcast). I have two other computers with identical setups that had
> > no
> > issues with this. In any case, here is what I tried so far (nothing has
> > worked):
> >
> > - Uninstalled Norton Security Suite
> > - I have checked all the security and advanced settings in ie8 to make
> > sure
> > active scripting, security levels, etc are all ok.
> > - regsvr32 on jscript.dll and vbscript.dll
> > - deleted temporary internet files
> > - reset IE settings
> >
> > I was trying to figure out how to uninstall IE8 but the two references I
> > found don't work for me:
> >
> > 1. One site said I should see IE8 in the windows features list from "Turn
> > Windows Features on/off" but it doesn't show up for me.
> > 2. Another reference said it should show up in the Installed Updates list,
> > but my Installed Updates list is empty.
> >

> > Anyone have any ideas on what else I could try?

> .

Re: Windows 7/IE8 Javascript will not run.
You're welcome.

PS: When it's time to get rid of that Norton app (and believe me, that time
will come), you will need the Norton Removal Tool the same way:

1. Download the Norton Removal Tool, saving it to your desktop:
ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/englis...moval_Tool.exe

2. Close all open applications (i.e., anything with an icon on the taskbar).

3. Double-click on the file you saved in #1 above to run the utility. Don't