Restore last session or go to home page

Kitti Ritter

Restore last session or go to home page
Is there a way to disable the 'your last browsing session closed
unexpectedly' message box? Every time I click to open IE8 after starting the
computer from a shut down I receive this message box. Thanks.

Leonard Grey

Re: Restore last session or go to home page

---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

Kitti Ritter wrote:
> Is there a way to disable the 'your last browsing session closed
> unexpectedly' message box? Every time I click to open IE8 after starting the
> computer from a shut down I receive this message box. Thanks.

Leonard Grey

Re: Restore last session or go to home page
1. How do you normally shut down Internet Explorer?

2. Is Internet Explorer closed when you shut down Windows?

3. Have you thoroughly scanned your system for malware?
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

Kitti Ritter wrote:
> Is there a way to disable the 'your last browsing session closed
> unexpectedly' message box? Every time I click to open IE8 after starting the
> computer from a shut down I receive this message box. Thanks.

Jeffrey W. Bowen

Re: Restore last session or go to home page
Hello Kitty,

In Internet Explorer go to:

Tools - Internet Options, and click on the Advanced Tab.

Scroll down to 'Browsing'.

The eighth line down says, "Enable automatic crash recovery." Clear the
check box next to it, and that should solve your problem.

I hope this helps. Good luck.

--
Peace,

Jeffrey W. Bowen
Remove NO SPAM entries from email address to send personal email.

Please post replies of successes or failures so we all can benefit from each
others' experiences.

"Kitti Ritter" <Kitti Ritter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Is there a way to disable the 'your last browsing session closed
> unexpectedly' message box? Every time I click to open IE8 after starting
> the
> computer from a shut down I receive this message box. Thanks.

rob^_^

Re: Restore last session or go to home page
You have an incompatible Addon. Find and uninstall it. Automatic crash
recovery recovers from these types of errors gracefully. Switching it off
could put your browser into a loop that you can't get out of without a
machine reboot.

To test is an Addon is causing the problem either run IE in no-Addons mode
or stop your Addons from being loaded in IE with

Tools>Internet Options - Advanced tab, uncheck "Enable third-party browser
extensions" and then close ALL IE windows, then restart IE.

Jeff - a version of the Comcast toolbar has been reported as incompatible
with IE8. Have you checked for an update from Comcast?
Turning off Automatic Crash Recovery is not a 'fix'. You have to determine
and correct the underlying reason for the tab/window crash (incompatible
Addon or (rarely) malicious web sites that attempt to do something that
looks like a malware attack, and usually involves one of your IE Addons
installed on your computer).

"Jeffrey W. Bowen" <NOmcquireSPAM@NOcomcastSPAM.net> wrote in message
> Hello Kitty,
>
> In Internet Explorer go to:
>
> Tools - Internet Options, and click on the Advanced Tab.
>
> Scroll down to 'Browsing'.
>
> The eighth line down says, "Enable automatic crash recovery." Clear the
> check box next to it, and that should solve your problem.
>
> I hope this helps. Good luck.
>
> --
> Peace,
>
> Jeffrey W. Bowen
> Remove NO SPAM entries from email address to send personal email.
>
> Please post replies of successes or failures so we all can benefit from
> each others' experiences.
>
> "Kitti Ritter" <Kitti Ritter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Is there a way to disable the 'your last browsing session closed
>> unexpectedly' message box? Every time I click to open IE8 after starting
>> the
>> computer from a shut down I receive this message box. Thanks.

Re: Restore last session or go to home page
Try closing all IE windows before shutting down.

Kitti Ritter wrote:
> Is there a way to disable the 'your last browsing session closed
> unexpectedly' message box? Every time I click to open IE8 after starting
> the
> computer from a shut down I receive this message box. Thanks.

Jeffrey W. Bowen

Re: Restore last session or go to home page
Rob,

I am not the one asking for help. Also, I don't have the Comcast toolbar or
any other third party toolbar for that matter. I am also not having any
problms with my browser. But thank you anyway for your response.

I was offering helpful information that may or may not solve the Ops
problem.

I respectully disagree with your assumption that disabling this feature will
cause a loop or any other problem with one's ability to browse.

The following link, I believe supports my theory that it is only a
convenient addition that helps people recover webpages they visit in the
event of a browser crash or sudden browser shutdown much like the same
feature first offered in Firefox:

http://www.microsoft.com/uk/windows/...abid=2&catid=1

Click or paste it into your browser and you will see that it offers no
warning of, "putting the browser into a loop that [one] can't get out of
without a machine reboot."

It is doubtful that since this is in the "Browsing" section under the
Advanced tab that it is a criticle safety feature. It is there for
convenience so that the browser can recover a lost tab or browser session
after a browser crash or other event that causes the browser to shut down.
If it was a safety feature, then disabling it would not be so easily
accessible or there would be a warning not to disable it.

Also after searching the Internet for other articles or forum posts that may
support your "loop" theory, I have found none. You need to come up with a
better reason like, you tried my suggestion and it didn't help. Or that
disabling the feature won't fix the problem because (insert reliable reason
here other than toolbar/add on incompatiblity or maleware). That would be
good enough.

All that aside, I have also searched for a better solution than mine and
think I may have found one that I will suggest to the Op. I can humbly thank
you for at least motivating me to seek out a possibly better solution for
the Op.

--

news0F665FA-AB22-4611-9C7D-56F6B7303643@microsoft.com...
> You have an incompatible Addon. Find and uninstall it. Automatic crash
> recovery recovers from these types of errors gracefully. Switching it off
> could put your browser into a loop that you can't get out of without a
> machine reboot.
>
> To test is an Addon is causing the problem either run IE in no-Addons mode
> or stop your Addons from being loaded in IE with
>
> Tools>Internet Options - Advanced tab, uncheck "Enable third-party browser
> extensions" and then close ALL IE windows, then restart IE.
>
> Jeff - a version of the Comcast toolbar has been reported as incompatible
> with IE8. Have you checked for an update from Comcast?
> Turning off Automatic Crash Recovery is not a 'fix'. You have to
> determine and correct the underlying reason for the tab/window crash
> (incompatible Addon or (rarely) malicious web sites that attempt to do
> something that looks like a malware attack, and usually involves one of
> your IE Addons installed on your computer).
>
> "Jeffrey W. Bowen" <NOmcquireSPAM@NOcomcastSPAM.net> wrote in message
>> Hello Kitty,
>>
>> In Internet Explorer go to:
>>
>> Tools - Internet Options, and click on the Advanced Tab.
>>
>> Scroll down to 'Browsing'.
>>
>> The eighth line down says, "Enable automatic crash recovery." Clear the
>> check box next to it, and that should solve your problem.
>>
>> I hope this helps. Good luck.
>>
>> --
>> Peace,
>>
>> Jeffrey W. Bowen
>> Remove NO SPAM entries from email address to send personal email.
>>
>> Please post replies of successes or failures so we all can benefit from
>> each others' experiences.
>>
>> "Kitti Ritter" <Kitti Ritter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> Is there a way to disable the 'your last browsing session closed
>>> unexpectedly' message box? Every time I click to open IE8 after starting
>>> the
>>> computer from a shut down I receive this message box. Thanks.

Kitti Ritter

Re: Restore last session or go to home page
1. First I log off using the start menu option
2. All windows are closed at time of log off and shutdown
3. I have regular automatic scans for spyware, etc.

"Leonard Grey" wrote:

> 1. How do you normally shut down Internet Explorer?
>
> 2. Is Internet Explorer closed when you shut down Windows?
>
> 3. Have you thoroughly scanned your system for malware?
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare humanum est
>
> Kitti Ritter wrote:
> > Is there a way to disable the 'your last browsing session closed
> > unexpectedly' message box? Every time I click to open IE8 after starting the
> > computer from a shut down I receive this message box. Thanks.
> >

> .

Jeffrey W. Bowen

Re: Restore last session or go to home page
Hello again Kitti (sorry, I mispelled your name last time),

I have looked around for any possibility of a better solution than my
original suggestion and found this link:

http://www.windowsreference.com/inte...eature-in-ie8/

If you have Windows XP Professional, you can use the instructions for
changing it through the 'Group Policy' feature which is the most desirable
suggestion in this article.

This site also gives instructions on how to edit the registry (be very
careful if you have to use this option, or get a certified tech or trusted
techie friend do this for you) to fix this problem if you do not have
Windows XP Professional.

It also gives instructions on how to use a program called 'CCcleaner which I
have seen suggested most often both by MVPs and other helpful techies in the
MS newsgroups. This is probably an even better option than editing the
registry if you can't use the Group Policy method of disabling it.

So, as to my last post, you can probably disregard that, and leave the auto
crash recovery enabled since disabling it will only prevent you from
recovering from a browser crash which means you will just have to restart
your browser session.

I hope this is at least a little more helpful. Good luck.

--
Peace,

Jeffrey W. Bowen
Remove NO SPAM entries from email address to send personal email.

Please post replies of successes or failures so we all can benefit from each
others' experiences.

"Kitti Ritter" <Kitti Ritter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Is there a way to disable the 'your last browsing session closed
> unexpectedly' message box? Every time I click to open IE8 after starting
> the
> computer from a shut down I receive this message box. Thanks.

Kitti Ritter

Re: Restore last session or go to home page
Jeffrey:
Your suggestion worked, but it may cause a problem if my system crashes. Any
other ideas?
Kitti