Installed IE8 now IE won't even start

Malac

Installed IE8 now IE won't even start
I installed IE 8 and after I restarted the computer and I click in IE icon it
won't even start. What can I do? Shoudl I just use Safari to download
Google Chrome?
Bruce Hagen

Re: Installed IE8 now IE won't even start
Remove IE8 and restart twice.

How do I uninstall or remove Internet Explorer 8?
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700

Download IE8 to your Desktop. Do not use Windows or Microsoft Updates.

Internet Explorer 8 download:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...3-08cdecd8852b

Restart your computer. With no other programs running, disable your
anti-virus program and any spyware or spam programs you may have. If you
are running a third party firewall, disable it and enable the Windows
firewall.

Now install IE8 from the Desktop. When you're done, restart your computer
twice and then make sure your disabled programs are running again.
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP [Mail]

"Malac" <Malac@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I installed IE 8 and after I restarted the computer and I click in IE
>icon it
> won't even start. What can I do? Shoudl I just use Safari to download
> Google Chrome?

Leonard Grey

Re: Installed IE8 now IE won't even start
If you're happy with Safari, why do you want to download Chrome?

Upgrading Windows to Internet Explorer 8:

Follow these suggestions and you are virtually assured of success.

In your case, start by uninstalling IE 8:

"How do I uninstall or remove Internet Explorer 8?"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700

1- Read about the new features of IE 8 on Microsoft's website (and
elsewhere on the web).
2- Read the IE 8 Release Notes.
3- Make sure your computer is 100% free of malware.
4- Make sure your computer is otherwise problem-free. Upgrading to IE 8
is not a fix for problems you are currently experiencing.
5- Make sure all your software (including Windows itself) and drivers
are up to date.
6- Make sure all your security software, as well as any other software
you frequently use and websites you frequently visit, are compatible
with IE 8.
7- Backup your personal files (documents, photos, spreadsheets, etc.) as
well as your e-mail, address book and Favorites; and create a restore
point. (If you're familiar with disk imaging, backup your hard drive.)
8- You may need to uninstall third-party toolbars from your current
version of Internet Explorer; or reset Internet Explorer to default
settings. When you reset Internet Explorer settings, all add-ons and
customizations are deleted, and you basically start with a fresh version
of Internet Explorer.
9- Download the IE 8 installer from the Microsoft website.
10- Close all open applications, i.e., applications with an icon on the
Taskbar.
11- Disable your security software. Turn on Windows Firewall.
12- During IE 8 installation, agree to "Install updates."
13- Reboot /twice/ after installing IE 8.
14- Turn off Windows Firewall. Re-enable your security software.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

Malac wrote:
> I installed IE 8 and after I restarted the computer and I click in IE icon it
> won't even start. What can I do? Shoudl I just use Safari to download
> Google Chrome?

Re: Installed IE8 now IE won't even start
Would your previous IE version start?

Malac wrote:
> I installed IE 8 and after I restarted the computer and I click in IE icon
> it won't even start. What can I do? Shoudl I just use Safari to download
> Google Chrome?

VanguardLH

Malac wrote:

> I installed IE 8 and after I restarted the computer and I click in IE icon it
> won't even start. What can I do? Shoudl I just use Safari to download
> Google Chrome?

Did you try running the actual executable program file rather than use a
shortcut (which might be improperly defined)? Try running the following
command:

"%programfiles%\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" -extoff

That loads IE without any add-ons. If that runs, either your shortcut is
screwed up or you installed an add-on that isn't compatible.
Jay-T

"Bruce Hagen" <Nospam@mymail.invalid> wrote in message

> Restart your computer. With no other programs running, disable your
> anti-virus program and any spyware or spam programs you may have. If you
> are running a third party firewall, disable it and enable the Windows
> firewall.

And, in my case, I found that I had to completely uninstall (not just
disable or turn off) Comodo Firewall to get the IE8 to install and work.