Windows Update - restore hidden items grayed out

Steve Mc

Windows Update - restore hidden items grayed out
Months ago, I disabled the almost daily reminder to upgrade to IE8, as I
wanted to get familiar with IE7 first.
Now, in Windows Update, the restore hidden items is grayed out, and change
settings doesn't have an option to ungray it.
How can I re-enable that option ?

Thanks,

--

Steve Mc

DNA to SBC to respond

Re: Windows Update - restore hidden items grayed out
[crosspost to Windows Update newsgroup]

Is this on your WinXP SP3 computer, Steve?

Is Automatic Updates enabled & working? Is Windows Update website working
otherwise (e.g., can you run a CUSTOM scan for updates)?

Are KB972207 and KB978207 both listed in Add/Remove Programs? (Make sure the
Show Updates box at the top is checked.)

What third-party firewall (if any)?

it)?

Have you tried doing a Reset? => http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058
--
Windows Update-specific newsgroup:

www.banthecheck.com

Steve Mc wrote:
> Months ago, I disabled the almost daily reminder to upgrade to IE8, as I
> wanted to get familiar with IE7 first.
> Now, in Windows Update, the restore hidden items is grayed out, and change
> settings doesn't have an option to ungray it.
> How can I re-enable that option ?

Steve Mc

Re: Windows Update - restore hidden items grayed out
Thanks.

Yes XP3 and all updates present, so I did a custom scan, and there I was
able to restore the hidden items.

Thanks again,

--

Steve Mc

DNA to SBC to respond

> [crosspost to Windows Update newsgroup]
>
> Is this on your WinXP SP3 computer, Steve?
>
> Is Automatic Updates enabled & working? Is Windows Update website working
> otherwise (e.g., can you run a CUSTOM scan for updates)?
>
> Are KB972207 and KB978207 both listed in Add/Remove Programs? (Make sure
> the Show Updates box at the top is checked.)

> Defender)? What third-party firewall (if any)?

> computer (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you
> bought it)?
>
> Have you tried doing a Reset? => http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058
> --
> Windows Update-specific newsgroup:
>
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> www.banthecheck.com
>

> Steve Mc wrote:
>> Months ago, I disabled the almost daily reminder to upgrade to IE8, as I
>> wanted to get familiar with IE7 first.
>> Now, in Windows Update, the restore hidden items is grayed out, and
>> change
>> settings doesn't have an option to ungray it.
>> How can I re-enable that option ?

Re: Windows Update - restore hidden items grayed out
Kewl & thanks for your follow-up post.