Cannot display page error

Complete Novice

Cannot display page error
Although I can connect to internet explorer (on my daughter's computer) it
won't connect to any websites and just says "can't display page" and
continues to try and connect but nothing happens.

I have tested my connections and reset the internet explorer settings but am
not getting very far. Would someone be able to advise me on what to do next
(in very simple gargon) before I take it to the repair shop.

Hoping someone can tell me what to do very soon.
Complete novice
rob^_^

Re: Cannot display page error
Hi,

First always please state your Windows version and IE version when posting
to these newsgroups and the MS Answers web sites.
(Assuming IE8 on any supported Windows version)

What is your homepage?

MSN, Yahoo, Google?

Which country are you located in? (if you don't know what your homepage is
set to)

Ok, first up, restart your computer to clear any unwanted IE processes
(technical term for unseen IE windows)

Try
Tools>Compatibility View Settings - check "Include updated web site
information from Microsoft" (best solution)
(Oh, of coarse if you can't start IE, you cant access this menu option....
there is no other way (from Control Panel) to access Compatibility View
Settings.... this may be a showstopper for you.... Post back with your
Windows version and IE version for instructions on how to re-install IE8 on
your computer (if not Win7).. otherwise try setting your homepage to
about:blank (instructions below)).

If your homepage is set to your email provider or igoogle or myyahoo or
mymsn etc then you should also add those sites to your Trusted Sites list
(Start>Control Panel>Internet Options, Security tab, Trusted Sites, 'Sites'
button.

If any of those suggestions do not work go
Start>Control Panel>Internet Options - General tab and set your (only)
homepage to about:blank and clear your secondary homepages.

Save changes and try starting IE again.

Regards.

"Complete Novice" <Complete Novice@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:F5EF8219-83F7-452F-A50B-DCF06AA6A8B2@microsoft.com...
> Although I can connect to internet explorer (on my daughter's computer) it
> won't connect to any websites and just says "can't display page" and
> continues to try and connect but nothing happens.
>
> I have tested my connections and reset the internet explorer settings but
> am
> not getting very far. Would someone be able to advise me on what to do
> next
> (in very simple gargon) before I take it to the repair shop.
>
> Hoping someone can tell me what to do very soon.
> Complete novice

Re: Cannot display page error
Vista SP1; Vista 64-bit SP2; Win7; Win7 64-bit) as well as your IE version
when posting in an IE-specific forum or newsgroup. Please do so in your next
reply.

What third-party firewall (if any)?

it)?
www.banthecheck.com

Complete Novice wrote:
> Although I can connect to internet explorer (on my daughter's computer) it
> won't connect to any websites and just says "can't display page" and
> continues to try and connect but nothing happens.
>
> I have tested my connections and reset the internet explorer settings but
> am
> not getting very far. Would someone be able to advise me on what to do
> next
> (in very simple gargon) before I take it to the repair shop.
>
> Hoping someone can tell me what to do very soon.
> Complete novice

lsink1

"Complete Novice" wrote:

> Although I can connect to internet explorer (on my daughter's computer) it
> won't connect to any websites and just says "can't display page" and
> continues to try and connect but nothing happens.
>
> I have tested my connections and reset the internet explorer settings but am
> not getting very far. Would someone be able to advise me on what to do next
> (in very simple gargon) before I take it to the repair shop.
>
> Hoping someone can tell me what to do very soon.
> Complete novice

LaMar

RE: Cannot display page error
Open a Dos Screen, type at the prompt tracert www.yahoo.com, and see if you
can trace a route to yahoo at layer three on dos, without the layer 7
application, if not then you most likely have a DNS issue on your router, or
you are not being issued a DHCP address from your router, so therefore you
cannot surf the web. Very Very Possible.

"Complete Novice" wrote:

> Although I can connect to internet explorer (on my daughter's computer) it
> won't connect to any websites and just says "can't display page" and
> continues to try and connect but nothing happens.
>
> I have tested my connections and reset the internet explorer settings but am
> not getting very far. Would someone be able to advise me on what to do next
> (in very simple gargon) before I take it to the repair shop.
>
> Hoping someone can tell me what to do very soon.
> Complete novice

Chuck

RE: Cannot display page error
My friend had the same problem with cannot display web page. He deleted IE8
and went back to IE7. Problem solved. I've been told that if you have had IE7
and updated to IE8 and now deleted IE8 the system wil go back to IE7. Have
not tried this.
-- I had the freezing problem. Deleted all adobe products and reloaded them.
Problem went away.
chuck

"LaMar" wrote:

> Open a Dos Screen, type at the prompt tracert www.yahoo.com, and see if you
> can trace a route to yahoo at layer three on dos, without the layer 7
> application, if not then you most likely have a DNS issue on your router, or
> you are not being issued a DHCP address from your router, so therefore you
> cannot surf the web. Very Very Possible.
>

> "Complete Novice" wrote:
>
> > Although I can connect to internet explorer (on my daughter's computer) it
> > won't connect to any websites and just says "can't display page" and
> > continues to try and connect but nothing happens.
> >
> > I have tested my connections and reset the internet explorer settings but am
> > not getting very far. Would someone be able to advise me on what to do next
> > (in very simple gargon) before I take it to the repair shop.
> >
> > Hoping someone can tell me what to do very soon.
> > Complete novice

rob^_^

Re: Cannot display page error
Hi Chuck,

Please use the term 'Uninstall from the Add/Remove Programs control Panel'
instead of Delete.

Novice users may take your words literally. If they Delete any installed
programs instead of Un-installing them they will be foobared.

Regards.