Download Dialog and Progress Meter Disappeared.

Richard B

Download Dialog and Progress Meter Disappeared.
Okay, I've pinned this down to being the fault of Internet Explorer 8,
so hopefully there is someone here that can tell me how to fix it.

You know that dialog box that pops up when you start a download asking
if you want to "RUN" or "SAVE" the file?

Well there is a little check box on that dialog to ask if you want this
question each time.

That box got UNCHECKED by accident

And I can't find the control to restore it.

Now when I download a file, there is no decision dialog box, no download
progress meter and when the download is completed it opens the file
window in a folder under Temporary Internet files for Windows:
C:\Users\<USER>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Te mporary Internet
Files\Content.IE5\XS0DCPDN\<download file>

I have tried downloading using FireFox and everything there works fine,
so this is a problem with IE8.

It has been recommended to do a System Restore, but there are no restore
points to go back to.

Does anyone know how to restore this dialog box and download functionality?

Thank you,

Richard..
Alan Edwards

Re: Download Dialog and Progress Meter Disappeared.
It will depend on the operating system you are using.
For up to XP....

You set this for each file type, e.g. for .zip
Windows Explorer-Tools-Folder Options-File Types
Find the .zip association (may be WinZip File)
Edit, (or click Advanced on ME or XP) and check the "Confirm open
after download" box

The path to Folder Options may vary according to your operating
system. It may be:
Windows Explorer-View-Folder Options
Windows Explorer-Tools-Folder Options
Start-Settings-Folder Options
Start-Settings-Control Panel-Folder options.

....Alan
http://dts-l.com/index.htm

On Thu, 14 Jan 2010 05:30:49 -0600, in
microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general, Richard B
<rbillingsley@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Okay, I've pinned this down to being the fault of Internet Explorer 8,
>so hopefully there is someone here that can tell me how to fix it.
>
>You know that dialog box that pops up when you start a download asking
>if you want to "RUN" or "SAVE" the file?
>
>Well there is a little check box on that dialog to ask if you want this
>question each time.
>
>That box got UNCHECKED by accident
>
>And I can't find the control to restore it.
>
>Now when I download a file, there is no decision dialog box, no download
>progress meter and when the download is completed it opens the file
>window in a folder under Temporary Internet files for Windows:
> C:\Users\<USER>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Te mporary Internet
>Files\Content.IE5\XS0DCPDN\<download file>
>
>I have tried downloading using FireFox and everything there works fine,
>so this is a problem with IE8.
>
>It has been recommended to do a System Restore, but there are no restore
>points to go back to.
>
>Does anyone know how to restore this dialog box and download functionality?
>
>Thank you,
>
>Richard..

David B.

Re: Download Dialog and Progress Meter Disappeared.
Not even remotely close, has nothing to do with the OS.

To the OP, in IE go to tools > options > advanced tab, under the browsing
section check the box that says "notify when downloads complete".

"Alan Edwards" <edwards@southcom.com.au> wrote in message
> It will depend on the operating system you are using.
> For up to XP....
>
> You set this for each file type, e.g. for .zip
> Windows Explorer-Tools-Folder Options-File Types
> Find the .zip association (may be WinZip File)
> Edit, (or click Advanced on ME or XP) and check the "Confirm open
> after download" box
>
> The path to Folder Options may vary according to your operating
> system. It may be:
> Windows Explorer-View-Folder Options
> Windows Explorer-Tools-Folder Options
> Start-Settings-Folder Options
> Start-Settings-Control Panel-Folder options.
>
> ...Alan
> --
> Alan Edwards, MS MVP Windows - Internet Explorer
> http://dts-l.com/index.htm
>

> On Thu, 14 Jan 2010 05:30:49 -0600, in
> microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general, Richard B
> <rbillingsley@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>Okay, I've pinned this down to being the fault of Internet Explorer 8,
>>so hopefully there is someone here that can tell me how to fix it.
>>
>>You know that dialog box that pops up when you start a download asking
>>if you want to "RUN" or "SAVE" the file?
>>
>>Well there is a little check box on that dialog to ask if you want this
>>question each time.
>>
>>That box got UNCHECKED by accident
>>
>>And I can't find the control to restore it.
>>
>>Now when I download a file, there is no decision dialog box, no download
>>progress meter and when the download is completed it opens the file
>>window in a folder under Temporary Internet files for Windows:
>> C:\Users\<USER>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Te mporary Internet
>>Files\Content.IE5\XS0DCPDN\<download file>
>>
>>I have tried downloading using FireFox and everything there works fine,
>>so this is a problem with IE8.
>>
>>It has been recommended to do a System Restore, but there are no restore
>>points to go back to.
>>
>>Does anyone know how to restore this dialog box and download
>>functionality?
>>
>>Thank you,
>>
>>Richard..

Donald Anadell

Re: Download Dialog and Progress Meter Disappeared.
See:

http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/re...-file-setting/

Good luck,

Donald Anadell

"Richard B" <rbillingsley@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Okay, I've pinned this down to being the fault of Internet Explorer 8, so
> hopefully there is someone here that can tell me how to fix it.
>
> You know that dialog box that pops up when you start a download asking if
> you want to "RUN" or "SAVE" the file?
>
> Well there is a little check box on that dialog to ask if you want this
> question each time.
>
> That box got UNCHECKED by accident
>
> And I can't find the control to restore it.
>
> Now when I download a file, there is no decision dialog box, no download
> progress meter and when the download is completed it opens the file window
> in a folder under Temporary Internet files for Windows:
> C:\Users\<USER>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Te mporary Internet
> Files\Content.IE5\XS0DCPDN\<download file>
>
> I have tried downloading using FireFox and everything there works fine, so
> this is a problem with IE8.
>
> It has been recommended to do a System Restore, but there are no restore
> points to go back to.
>
> Does anyone know how to restore this dialog box and download
> functionality?
>
> Thank you,
>
> Richard..

Alan Edwards

Re: Download Dialog and Progress Meter Disappeared.
You are incorrect.
The OP did not ask for "notify when downloads complete".
See Donald's reply for the reset method that includes Vista.

Reset the always ask before opening this type of file setting:
http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/re...-file-setting/

....Alan
http://dts-l.com/index.htm

On Thu, 14 Jan 2010 08:55:57 -0500, in
microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general, "David B."
<mail@nomail.net> wrote:

>Not even remotely close, has nothing to do with the OS.
>
>To the OP, in IE go to tools > options > advanced tab, under the browsing
>section check the box that says "notify when downloads complete".
>
>--
>

>--
>"Alan Edwards" <edwards@southcom.com.au> wrote in message
>news:7r0uk5dak8rgau46qnc7ra5iq8p72cehrc@4ax.com.. .
>> It will depend on the operating system you are using.
>> For up to XP....
>>
>> You set this for each file type, e.g. for .zip
>> Windows Explorer-Tools-Folder Options-File Types
>> Find the .zip association (may be WinZip File)
>> Edit, (or click Advanced on ME or XP) and check the "Confirm open
>> after download" box
>>
>> The path to Folder Options may vary according to your operating
>> system. It may be:
>> Windows Explorer-View-Folder Options
>> Windows Explorer-Tools-Folder Options
>> Start-Settings-Folder Options
>> Start-Settings-Control Panel-Folder options.
>>
>> ...Alan
>> --
>> Alan Edwards, MS MVP Windows - Internet Explorer
>> http://dts-l.com/index.htm
>>

>> On Thu, 14 Jan 2010 05:30:49 -0600, in
>> microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general, Richard B
>> <rbillingsley@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Okay, I've pinned this down to being the fault of Internet Explorer 8,
>>>so hopefully there is someone here that can tell me how to fix it.
>>>
>>>You know that dialog box that pops up when you start a download asking
>>>if you want to "RUN" or "SAVE" the file?
>>>
>>>Well there is a little check box on that dialog to ask if you want this
>>>question each time.
>>>
>>>That box got UNCHECKED by accident
>>>
>>>And I can't find the control to restore it.
>>>
>>>Now when I download a file, there is no decision dialog box, no download
>>>progress meter and when the download is completed it opens the file
>>>window in a folder under Temporary Internet files for Windows:
>>> C:\Users\<USER>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Te mporary Internet
>>>Files\Content.IE5\XS0DCPDN\<download file>
>>>
>>>I have tried downloading using FireFox and everything there works fine,
>>>so this is a problem with IE8.
>>>
>>>It has been recommended to do a System Restore, but there are no restore
>>>points to go back to.
>>>
>>>Does anyone know how to restore this dialog box and download
>>>functionality?
>>>
>>>Thank you,
>>>
>>>Richard..

David B.

Re: Download Dialog and Progress Meter Disappeared.
You are 100% correct, my apologies

> You are incorrect.
> The OP did not ask for "notify when downloads complete".
> See Donald's reply for the reset method that includes Vista.
>
> Reset the always ask before opening this type of file setting:
> http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/re...-file-setting/
>
> ...Alan
> --
> Alan Edwards, MS MVP Windows - Internet Explorer
> http://dts-l.com/index.htm
>

> On Thu, 14 Jan 2010 08:55:57 -0500, in
> microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general, "David B."
> <mail@nomail.net> wrote:
>
>>Not even remotely close, has nothing to do with the OS.
>>
>>To the OP, in IE go to tools > options > advanced tab, under the browsing
>>section check the box that says "notify when downloads complete".
>>
>>--
>>

>>--
>>"Alan Edwards" <edwards@southcom.com.au> wrote in message
>>news:7r0uk5dak8rgau46qnc7ra5iq8p72cehrc@4ax.com. ..
>>> It will depend on the operating system you are using.
>>> For up to XP....
>>>
>>> You set this for each file type, e.g. for .zip
>>> Windows Explorer-Tools-Folder Options-File Types
>>> Find the .zip association (may be WinZip File)
>>> Edit, (or click Advanced on ME or XP) and check the "Confirm open
>>> after download" box
>>>
>>> The path to Folder Options may vary according to your operating
>>> system. It may be:
>>> Windows Explorer-View-Folder Options
>>> Windows Explorer-Tools-Folder Options
>>> Start-Settings-Folder Options
>>> Start-Settings-Control Panel-Folder options.
>>>
>>> ...Alan
>>> --
>>> Alan Edwards, MS MVP Windows - Internet Explorer
>>> http://dts-l.com/index.htm
>>>

>>> On Thu, 14 Jan 2010 05:30:49 -0600, in
>>> microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general, Richard B

justHenson

Re: Download Dialog and Progress Meter Disappeared.
To find the File Types option in Windows 7, I had to go to:

Control Panel -> Default Programs -> Associate a File Type

- justHenson

"Alan Edwards" wrote:

> It will depend on the operating system you are using.
> For up to XP....
>
> You set this for each file type, e.g. for .zip
> Windows Explorer-Tools-Folder Options-File Types
> Find the .zip association (may be WinZip File)
> Edit, (or click Advanced on ME or XP) and check the "Confirm open
> after download" box
>
> The path to Folder Options may vary according to your operating
> system. It may be:
> Windows Explorer-View-Folder Options
> Windows Explorer-Tools-Folder Options
> Start-Settings-Folder Options
> Start-Settings-Control Panel-Folder options.
>
> ....Alan
> --
> Alan Edwards, MS MVP Windows - Internet Explorer
> http://dts-l.com/index.htm

Richard B

Re: Download Dialog and Progress Meter Disappeared.
That fixed it.

Thank you,

Richard..