How to block / deactivate annoying Flash Ads in IE?

Marc

How to block / deactivate annoying Flash Ads in IE?
I get asked the question more and more (I do (User)trainings for
MS-/SW-Products) "How to block all those stupid / annoying, flashing, moving
flash Ads in Internet Explorer?"

The alternative for them (or anybody) is switching to another browser (like
Orca for example, where this is easily possible) so I need a IE solution to
keep them with MS Products, but I do not know a way to solve this.

Can anybody help me with advice or at least refer to an external program, if
there is no IE-internal way to switch of flash? (but I guess/hope there is
one)

Thanks, Marc
Helroy

Re: How to block / deactivate annoying Flash Ads in IE?

http://www.ie7pro.com/

--
Hëlröy
=====

Leonard Grey

Re: How to block / deactivate annoying Flash Ads in IE?
The ads do not come from Internet Explorer...or any browser. The ads
come from the web pages your users are visiting.

Ad blocking software is widely available and included on many security
suites. No ad-blocking application will block every ad -- there's no
standard definition of what constitutes an ad -- and such software will
occasionally blocking valid content it mistakes as an ad.

There's nothing that Microsoft or Mozilla or Opera or Apple can do to
prevent third-parties from creating annoying advertising.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

Marc wrote:
> I get asked the question more and more (I do (User)trainings for
> MS-/SW-Products) "How to block all those stupid / annoying, flashing, moving
> flash Ads in Internet Explorer?"
>
> The alternative for them (or anybody) is switching to another browser (like
> Orca for example, where this is easily possible) so I need a IE solution to
> keep them with MS Products, but I do not know a way to solve this.
>
> Can anybody help me with advice or at least refer to an external program, if
> there is no IE-internal way to switch of flash? (but I guess/hope there is
> one)
>
> Thanks, Marc

Jean Rosenfeld

Re: How to block / deactivate annoying Flash Ads in IE?
If IE8, see item 6 in

http://msmvps.com/blogs/harrywaldron...7-or-ie-8.aspx

Marc wrote:
> I get asked the question more and more (I do (User)trainings for
> MS-/SW-Products) "How to block all those stupid / annoying, flashing,
> moving
> flash Ads in Internet Explorer?"
>
> The alternative for them (or anybody) is switching to another browser
> (like
> Orca for example, where this is easily possible) so I need a IE solution
> keep them with MS Products, but I do not know a way to solve this.
>
> Can anybody help me with advice or at least refer to an external program,
> if
> there is no IE-internal way to switch of flash? (but I guess/hope there is
> one)
>
> Thanks, Marc

VanguardLH

Marc wrote:

> The alternative for them (or anybody) is switching to another browser (like
> Orca for example, where this is easily possible) so I need a IE solution to
> keep them with MS Products, but I do not know a way to solve this.
>
> Can anybody help me with advice or at least refer to an external program, if
> there is no IE-internal way to switch of flash? (but I guess/hope there is
> one)

So why did these users install Adobe's ActiveX control for Flash if they
don't want to see Flash content? DUH!
rob^_^

Re: How to block / deactivate annoying Flash Ads in IE?
It comes pre-installed on some machines (OEM added?) and does not appear in
the Downloaded Controls list in the Addons Manager.

My list of known Flash CLSID's

{D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000}
{166B1BCA-3F9C-11CF-8075-444553540000}
{2A202491-F00D-11cf-87CC-0020AFEECF20}
{233C1507-6A77-46A4-9443-F871F945D258}

Adobe are supposedly developing a 'silent' update. GHUA

> Marc wrote:
>
>> The alternative for them (or anybody) is switching to another browser
>> (like
>> Orca for example, where this is easily possible) so I need a IE solution
>> keep them with MS Products, but I do not know a way to solve this.
>>
>> Can anybody help me with advice or at least refer to an external program,
>> if
>> there is no IE-internal way to switch of flash? (but I guess/hope there
>> is
>> one)

> So why did these users install Adobe's ActiveX control for Flash if they
> don't want to see Flash content? DUH!

Marc

Re: How to block / deactivate annoying Flash Ads in IE?
Vanguard, guess what: they, like us all, appreciate the good flash-content
the Want to see, not the one they are Made to see by the ads.

"VanguardLH" wrote:

> Marc wrote:
>
> > The alternative for them (or anybody) is switching to another browser (like
> > Orca for example, where this is easily possible) so I need a IE solution to
> > keep them with MS Products, but I do not know a way to solve this.
> >
> > Can anybody help me with advice or at least refer to an external program, if
> > there is no IE-internal way to switch of flash? (but I guess/hope there is
> > one)

> So why did these users install Adobe's ActiveX control for Flash if they
> don't want to see Flash content? DUH!
> .

Marc

RE: How to block / deactivate annoying Flash Ads in IE?
Thanks to you all, guys! These were really good tips, one good working tool I
did not know is "toggle Flash", which works fine (it save you the change in
properties, the author had the same problems I described).

Additionally I found a fantastic site of a guy who hosts a list of adservers
to modify your host-file, which I did additionally, and voila, the web gets
sooo peaceful suddenly :O) ..it's on pgl.yoyo.org/adservers

An additional fact beyond annoyance is that those kind of ads decrease
battery life in laptops due to CPU-load; there are some tests on PC's and
Mac-Books on the web on that topic. Some measured double(!) battery-time.

Cheers, Marc

"Marc" wrote:

> I get asked the question more and more (I do (User)trainings for
> MS-/SW-Products) "How to block all those stupid / annoying, flashing, moving
> flash Ads in Internet Explorer?"
>
> The alternative for them (or anybody) is switching to another browser (like
> Orca for example, where this is easily possible) so I need a IE solution to
> keep them with MS Products, but I do not know a way to solve this.
>
> Can anybody help me with advice or at least refer to an external program, if
> there is no IE-internal way to switch of flash? (but I guess/hope there is
> one)
>
> Thanks, Marc

Viktor Krammer

Re: How to block / deactivate annoying Flash Ads in IE?
Hi Marc,

another Flash blocker is included in Quero:
http://www.quero.at/

Best regards,

Viktor Krammer
--