IE Won't load anything but FireFox does

Rebecca

IE Won't load anything but FireFox does
Howdy,

We have several users whose IE (both 7 and 8) stopped loading any webpages
(get page can't be found error), yet FireFox works fine. (Interestingly
enough, Google Chrome won't work either.)

This just started happening and isn't happening to everyone. Any ideas?
Perhaps some Win Update messed it up?

Our systems are Win XP Pro - SP3. Thanks.

Rebecca

Re: IE Won't load anything but FireFox does
Assuming each computer has a fully-functional, fully-updated anti-virus
application and/or "internet security" suite installed & the subscription is
current...

Error message after you install a Windows Internet Explorer update from
Windows Update or from Microsoft Update: "Webpage cannot be displayed":
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942818

If tweaking your third-party firewall's settings don't help, try the
following:

1. Disable your anti-virus application, all Norton Add-ons (if any), any
real-time protection provided by an anti-spyware application (except for
Windows Defender; includes Spybot Tea Timer, SpySweeper Guards, AVG AS
guard.exe, etc.), disable any third-party firewall AND THEN enable the
Windows Firewall.

browsing; reading email; chatting) except #4 below until your anti-virus
application has been re-enabled! If you're running ZA Free firewall, you
may need to uninstall it instead of disabling it.

2. WinXP: Uninstall "Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 7
(KB976325)" via Add/Remove Programs (make sure Show Updates box is checked
at top right) and reboot.

Vista: Uninstall "Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 7 [or 8]
for Vista (KB976325)" or "Security Update for Microsoft Windows (KB976325)"
via Start | Control Panel | System And Maintenance (If you are using Classic
View, skip this step) | Windows Update | Installed Updates & reboot.

3. Re-do #1 above.

4. WinXP: Go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com | Select CUSTOM and scan
| Install any Critical Security Updates offered (e.g., KB976325). If a Root
Certificates update is listed in the Optional Software Updates category on
the left, install it to take full advantage of IE's enhanced security.

Vista: Run Windows Update manually and install any Important updates offered
(i.e., KB976325).

5. Reboot & make sure everything in #1 above is enabled again and, if
applicable, disable the Windows Firewall and enable (or reinstall) your
third-party firewall.

to a Security Update and cite the update's KB number (e.g., KB976325).

LOOK! => If your problem relates to a Cumulative Security Update for IE
(e.g., KB976325), call the above number and ask to be transferred to the
Consumer IE7 queue (which is 47830).

your usual support contacts.

www.banthecheck.com