Search Using Address Bar Does Not Work

Angel Fire

Search Using Address Bar Does Not Work
Hi,

I'm using IE8 and running Windows XP, SP3. I used to be able to type a word
or phrase into the address bar and it would go to a google search and give
suggestions. Now when I type something in it just says, "Internet Explorer
cannot display page." Any ideas on what's wrong and how to fix?

Thanks!
Jeff Strickland

Re: Search Using Address Bar Does Not Work
Why would you search from the Address Bar instead of from the Search Box?

"Angel Fire" <AngelFire@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I'm using IE8 and running Windows XP, SP3. I used to be able to type a
> word
> or phrase into the address bar and it would go to a google search and give
> suggestions. Now when I type something in it just says, "Internet
> Explorer
> cannot display page." Any ideas on what's wrong and how to fix?
>
> Thanks!

Re: Search Using Address Bar Does Not Work
See this tutorial
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...dress-bar.html

Angel Fire wrote:
> I'm using IE8 and running Windows XP, SP3. I used to be able to type a
> word
> or phrase into the address bar and it would go to a google search and give
> suggestions. Now when I type something in it just says, "Internet
> Explorer
> cannot display page." Any ideas on what's wrong and how to fix?

rob^_^

Re: Search Using Address Bar Does Not Work
Because you can Jeff. Address bar searching has always been a feature of IE.

Why would you use the Search Box which can only return the results from one
provider.

You can set up Address Bar search shotcuts and choose which search provider
to use for the results without having to change your default Search Provider
in the Search Box.

(web search 4 SearchHook, SearchURLs)

Regards.

"Jeff Strickland" <crwlrjeff@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Why would you search from the Address Bar instead of from the Search Box?
>

> "Angel Fire" <AngelFire@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm using IE8 and running Windows XP, SP3. I used to be able to type a
>> word
>> or phrase into the address bar and it would go to a google search and
>> give
>> suggestions. Now when I type something in it just says, "Internet
>> Explorer
>> cannot display page." Any ideas on what's wrong and how to fix?
>>
>> Thanks!

Viktor Krammer

Re: Search Using Address Bar Does Not Work
Hi,

you can also try the Quero navigation bar for IE8 which was designed to
combine the address box, search box and find bar into only one box, see
http://www.quero.at/

best regards,

Viktor Krammer
--
http://www.quero.at/
Hassle-Free Browsing

Re: Search Using Address Bar Does Not Work
[Who didn't see this coming? <w>]

Viktor Krammer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> you can also try the Quero navigation bar for IE8 which was designed to
> combine the address box, search box and find bar into only one box, see
> http://www.quero.at/
>
> best regards,
>
> Viktor Krammer

Viktor Krammer

Re: Search Using Address Bar Does Not Work
;-)
happy holidays and a happy new year 2010!

Viktor Krammer
--
http://www.quero.at/
Hassle-Free Browsing
rob^_^

Re: Search Using Address Bar Does Not Work
All the best Viktor.

"Viktor Krammer" <support@quero_no_spam.at> wrote in message
> ;-)
> happy holidays and a happy new year 2010!
>

> Viktor Krammer
> --
> http://www.quero.at/
> Hassle-Free Browsing

Robert Aldwinckle

"rob^_^" <iecustomizer@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:B14BDEBF-C85E-4EC0-9E0F-85EED05A488F@microsoft.com...
> Because you can Jeff. Address bar searching has always been a feature of IE.
>

> Why would you use the Search Box which can only return the results from one
> provider.

?? Are you joking? Too much sun? <eg>

> You can set up Address Bar search shotcuts and choose which search provider
> to use for the results without having to change your default Search Provider
> in the Search Box.

Right. So to use the Address bar to search with OP should use it
properly and prefix a search with ? go or find (supposedly--I always
used ? if I just wanted to call my default.) But if I want my default
it is now just as easy to press Ctrl-e as to start typing ? <space>.
The only possible advantage to entering a search for your default
search in the Address bar is the annoying delay which re-establishes
keyboard focus in the Address bar after letting you start typing in either
location. A workaround for that is to open IE with -nohome in the
command line.

Robert
---

> (web search 4 SearchHook, SearchURLs)
>
> Regards.
>
> "Jeff Strickland" <crwlrjeff@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Why would you search from the Address Bar instead of from the Search Box?
>>

>> "Angel Fire" <AngelFire@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm using IE8 and running Windows XP, SP3. I used to be able to type a
>>> word
>>> or phrase into the address bar and it would go to a google search and
>>> give
>>> suggestions. Now when I type something in it just says, "Internet
>>> Explorer
>>> cannot display page." Any ideas on what's wrong and how to fix?
>>>
>>> Thanks!

Jeff Strickland

Re: Search Using Address Bar Does Not Work

> Because you can Jeff. Address bar searching has always been a feature of
> IE.
>
> Why would you use the Search Box which can only return the results from
> one provider.
>
> You can set up Address Bar search shotcuts and choose which search
> provider to use for the results without having to change your default
> Search Provider in the Search Box.
>
> (web search 4 SearchHook, SearchURLs)
>
> Regards.

I need to get out from under my rock more. I do not search from the address
bar, and never considered even trying. They give me a handy search bar, and
I tried several search engines, and fine that the results are generally the
same -- not always, but generally -- and I can find what I need from
whichever search engine I have going. I made a tab for three search engines,
and just open the tab and use the search box. I thought everybody did it
that way.

Like I said, I should get out from under this rock more often ...