Remove Suggested Sites for the Favorites Bar

Thomas M.

Remove Suggested Sites for the Favorites Bar
IE8

How do I remove the Suggested Sites list from the Favorites Bar in IE8?

Just to be clear, I am not asking about how to turn Suggested Sites on or
off. I don't want it to even appear on the screen.

--Tom

Jeff Strickland

Re: Remove Suggested Sites for the Favorites Bar

"Thomas M." <NoEmailReplies@Please.com> wrote in message
> IE8
>
> How do I remove the Suggested Sites list from the Favorites Bar in IE8?
>
> Just to be clear, I am not asking about how to turn Suggested Sites on or
> off. I don't want it to even appear on the screen.
>
> --Tom

Tools>Options>Advanced, uncheck Enable Suggested Sites.

The sites will no longer appear on the Favorites Bar. The most you will see
is on the bottom of the Favorites Bar is a button to Trun On Suggested
Sites. You can click the Gold Star under the File Menu (if you have the
menus set to display) -- the Gold Star is always there, it's the Menu Bar
that can be turned off -- and the Favorites Bar will go away and take the
Suggested Sites with it.

I keep the Menu Bar showing, then select Favorites andn choose from the drop
down box, and never use the Gold Star.

Thomas M.

Re: Remove Suggested Sites for the Favorites Bar
> Tools>Options>Advanced, uncheck Enable Suggested Sites.
>
> The sites will no longer appear on the Favorites Bar. The most you will
> see is on the bottom of the Favorites Bar is a button to Trun On Suggested
> Sites. You can click the Gold Star under the File Menu (if you have the
> menus set to display) -- the Gold Star is always there, it's the Menu Bar
> that can be turned off -- and the Favorites Bar will go away and take the
> Suggested Sites with it.

I have that option cleared and all it does is gray out the Suggested Sites,
but it still appears on the Favorites Bar. I have a number of shortcuts on
the Favorites Bar, so I would like to keep that but without the Suggested
Sites. Sorry that I did not make that clear in my original post, but I just
assumed that there was an easy way to make that happen without removing the
Favorites Bar itself.

--Tom

Thomas M.

Re: Remove Suggested Sites for the Favorites Bar
I found how to do this. Suggested Sites is a shortcut in the Links folder.
Go to C:\Document and Settings\<Profile Nmae>\Favorites\Links and delete the
Suggested Sites shortcut.

>> Tools>Options>Advanced, uncheck Enable Suggested Sites.
>>
>> The sites will no longer appear on the Favorites Bar. The most you will
>> see is on the bottom of the Favorites Bar is a button to Trun On
>> Suggested Sites. You can click the Gold Star under the File Menu (if you
>> have the menus set to display) -- the Gold Star is always there, it's the
>> Menu Bar that can be turned off -- and the Favorites Bar will go away and
>> take the Suggested Sites with it.

> I have that option cleared and all it does is gray out the Suggested
> Sites, but it still appears on the Favorites Bar. I have a number of
> shortcuts on the Favorites Bar, so I would like to keep that but without
> the Suggested Sites. Sorry that I did not make that clear in my original
> post, but I just assumed that there was an easy way to make that happen
> without removing the Favorites Bar itself.

I do not have any Suggested Sites because I never enabled that feature.

Those sites must be stored somewhere that needs to be cleaned out. It sounds
as if you once had the feature turned ON, it collected a list of
suggestions, then you turned the feature OFF. The suggestions are now gray.

I don't know where they would be held, but clearing out your History should
get rid of the suggestions. Of course, clearing History has it's own impact
that you might consider. I clear my history everytime I close IE. I don't
care to keep my History because I once had space issues that I don't have
now, but I've learned that history isn't very helpful so I clear it.

I get to my Favorites by clicking the Favorites Menu and selecting whichever
Favorite I have my heart set on.

jopa66

Re: Remove Suggested Sites for the Favorites Bar
Try rightclick/Delete - the option is there but, don't know if it will come
back.

--
~ john aka: jopa

"Thomas M." <NoEmailReplies@Please.com> wrote in message
>> Tools>Options>Advanced, uncheck Enable Suggested Sites.
>>
>> The sites will no longer appear on the Favorites Bar. The most you will
>> see is on the bottom of the Favorites Bar is a button to Trun On
>> Suggested Sites. You can click the Gold Star under the File Menu (if you
>> have the menus set to display) -- the Gold Star is always there, it's the
>> Menu Bar that can be turned off -- and the Favorites Bar will go away and
>> take the Suggested Sites with it.

> I have that option cleared and all it does is gray out the Suggested
> Sites, but it still appears on the Favorites Bar. I have a number of
> shortcuts on the Favorites Bar, so I would like to keep that but without
> the Suggested Sites. Sorry that I did not make that clear in my original
> post, but I just assumed that there was an easy way to make that happen
> without removing the Favorites Bar itself.
>
> --Tom

rob^_^

Re: Remove Suggested Sites for the Favorites Bar
Yep. It will come back to haut you. Move the Suggest Sites Web Slice to a
different folder from (links/Favorites Bar) to hide it from your face.

This will retain the registry entries for the Web Slice (IE will re-create
the registry entries if it does not find it) and the linked Internet
Shortcut file.

Regards.

"jopa66" <jopa66@thehotmail.com> wrote in message
> Try rightclick/Delete - the option is there but, don't know if it will
> come back.
>
> --
> ~ john aka: jopa
>
> "Thomas M." <NoEmailReplies@Please.com> wrote in message
>>> Tools>Options>Advanced, uncheck Enable Suggested Sites.
>>>
>>> The sites will no longer appear on the Favorites Bar. The most you will
>>> see is on the bottom of the Favorites Bar is a button to Trun On
>>> Suggested Sites. You can click the Gold Star under the File Menu (if you
>>> have the menus set to display) -- the Gold Star is always there, it's
>>> the Menu Bar that can be turned off -- and the Favorites Bar will go
>>> away and take the Suggested Sites with it.

>> I have that option cleared and all it does is gray out the Suggested
>> Sites, but it still appears on the Favorites Bar. I have a number of
>> shortcuts on the Favorites Bar, so I would like to keep that but without
>> the Suggested Sites. Sorry that I did not make that clear in my original
>> post, but I just assumed that there was an easy way to make that happen
>> without removing the Favorites Bar itself.
>>
>> --Tom

Doug

"Thomas M." wrote:

> I found how to do this. Suggested Sites is a shortcut in the Links folder.
> Go to C:\Document and Settings\<Profile Nmae>\Favorites\Links and delete the
> Suggested Sites shortcut.
>
> --Tom
> Nice going Tom. Can you be more specific on how to do it ? Click by click for a novice. Thanks

Doug