data execution error

donncha

data execution error
Every time i close a web page it tells me there has been a data execution
error.I have tried some of the solutions in the discussion group i.e
silverlight and one ot two others. Any ideas,would returning to factory
settings help?
Don Varnau

Re: data execution error
Hi,
Assuming that you're running either IE7 or IE8...
Start Internet Explorer without add-ons by right-clicking the IE icon on the
desktop. Choose Start without add-ons.
or
from Start> Programs> Accessories> System tools> Internet Explorer (no
add-ons)
If the problem goes away, you have an incompatible browser add-on installed.

For troubleshooting information see:

Windows Vista Help- Internet Explorer add-ons frequently asked questions:
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...f9b7e1033.mspx

More:
EricLaw's IEInternals Understanding DEP-NX:
http://blogs.msdn.com/ieinternals/ar...es-in-IE8.aspx

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"donncha" <donncha@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Every time i close a web page it tells me there has been a data execution
> error.I have tried some of the solutions in the discussion group i.e
> silverlight and one ot two others. Any ideas,would returning to factory
> settings help?

Re: data execution error
Always state your IE version and full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3;
Vista 64-bit SP2; Win7; Win7 64-bit) when posting in an IE-specific forum or
newsgroup. Please do so in your next reply.

IE in No Add-ons mode:

Add-ons; or

Explorer (No add-ons).

3. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed, is your
IE8?

it)?

donncha wrote:
> Every time i close a web page it tells me there has been a data execution
> error.I have tried some of the solutions in the discussion group i.e
> silverlight and one ot two others. Any ideas,would returning to factory
> settings help?

VanguardLH

Re: data execution error
donncha wrote:

> Every time i close a web page it tells me there has been a data execution
> error.I have tried some of the solutions in the discussion group i.e
> silverlight and one ot two others. Any ideas,would returning to factory
> settings help?

You probably have an add-on installed that has sloppy code. The DEP option
was available back in IE7 but was disabled by default. In IE8, it is
enabled by default. The add-on authors have had a long time to fix their
code to prevent violation but didn't bother.

Internet Options -> Advanced
Security section
"Enable memory protection to help mitigate online attacks"

If you disable this, any add-on with sloppy code (or malicious code) can
execute and cause problems. Better would be to uninstall the screwed up
add-on and do without it or check if they have a later version that fixed
their code to stop violating memory constraints.

See:
http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...rotection.aspx