Re: internet explorer 7 for vista 32

fishin49

Re: internet explorer 7 for vista 32
I have window ME and now in the POGO site which I pay for it says I have to
update to Internet Explorer 7. So then I go to download it and my computer
does not support it. What is up with that. Just because my computer is
older but works like a charm why should I have to pay to upgrade especially
when a person cannot afford it. I paid for Microsoft when I bought the
computer but then when you get old they throw you out and say you have to pay
for support. I think this is all totally wrong. I run Internet Ex 6 now

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Please define "does not work"?
>
> cs wrote:
> > My son heard the computer beep and he checked on it and it was doing
> > updates. After the updates were done internet explorer does not work. I
> > tried removing the update below and that didn't work so I have to try
> > uninstalling all the updates for today. What a waste of time!
> >
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> X-post to WU NG
> >>
> >> Error message after you install a Windows Internet Explorer 7 update from
> >> Windows Update or from Microsoft Update: "Webpage cannot be displayed":
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942818
> >>
> >> If tweaking your third-party firewall's settings don't help, try the
> >> following:
> >>
> >> 1. Disable your anti-virus application, any real-time protection provided
> >> by an anti-spyware application (except for Windows Defender; includes
> >> Spybot Tea Timer, SpySweeper Guards, AVG AS guard.exe, etc.), disable any
> >> third-party firewall AND enable the Windows Firewall.
> >>
> >> NB: You're "working without a net" now: Don't to ANYTHING else online
> >> (e.g., browsing; reading email; chatting) except #4 below until your
> >> anti-virus application has been re-enabled! If you're running ZA Free
> >> firewall, you may need to uninstall it instead of disabling it.
> >>
> >> 2. Uninstall "Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 7 (KB942615)"
> >> via Add/Remove Programs (make sure Show Updates box is checked at top
> >> right) and reboot.
> >>
> >> 3. Re-do #1 above.
> >>
> >> 4. Go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com and install any Critical
> >> Updates offered. If "Root Certificates" update is listed in the Optional
> >> Updates category, you might install it, too, to take full advantage of
> >> IE7's additional security.
> >>
> >> 5. Reboot > Make sure everything in #1 above is enabled again and, if
> >> applicable, disable the Windows Firewall and enable your third-party
> >> firewall.
> >> --
> >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> >> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Shenan Stanley

fishin49 wrote:
> I have window ME and now in the POGO site which I pay for it says I
> have to update to Internet Explorer 7. So then I go to download it
> and my computer does not support it. What is up with that. Just
> because my computer is older but works like a charm why should I
> have to pay to upgrade especially when a person cannot afford it.
> I paid for Microsoft when I bought the computer but then when you
> get old they throw you out and say you have to pay for support. I
> think this is all totally wrong. I run Internet Ex 6 now

I have suggestions in there - try not to get frustrated/angry at my common
sense comments and continue reading. You'll likely find your solution.

You utilize an almost 9 1/2 year-old operating system... I bet there is a
ton of other stuff you cannot do because you are using Windows ME as well -
afford to or not - you have made that choice and now you need to find ways
to do what you want. (Although to be honest - Windows ME faded from
existence faster than most operating systems...)

Also - why is it Microsoft's fault that a web page you are using has decided
to limit its customers to a given web browser version level? That's like
saying, "I bought and paid for this truck with super big tires and 10 ft
5in. tall - why is it I cannot go into your 9 ft 9 in. parking garage I pay
for? Ford (those who made the truck but have nothing to do with the garage)
should allow me to do this."...

As for the, "I paid for Microsoft when I bought the computer but then when
you get old they throw you out and say you have to pay for support. I think
this is all totally wrong." <-- Really? Do you? Think about that. Your
car (if you have one) - once it is paid for and almost 10 years old - do you
have to pay for support? What about that refrigerator you have - once it is
'out of warranty' after a few years (or only one maybe) - do you have to pay
for support? Why should the software you are using be any different than
the rest of your life? *grin*

Maybe FireFox will work (although I think you may have to download v2.x,
could be wrong, try it and see.)
Maybe Opera will work (although I think you may have to download v9.x, could
be wrong, try it and see.)

Just make sure you have the latest version of the Java Runtime Environment
(for your specific needs.)

Might try Firefox 3.5.5 first:
http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/

If that is a no-go...

Firefox 2.x system requirements:
http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox...ements-v2.html

FireFox 2.x download:
http://www.oldapps.com/firefox.php?old_firefox=7

As for Opera.. Might try 10.10 first:
http://www.opera.com/download/

If that is a no-go...

Maybe Opera 9.64:
http://www.opera.com/download/?os=windows&ver=9.64

Or even as old as Opera 9.27 might be necessary:
http://www.opera.com/download/?os=windows&ver=9.27

And finally - Java...
https://cds.sun.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP...-CDS_Developer
(Choose Windows, Agree and continue...)

JRE 6 Update 17...

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

MowGreen

Re: internet explorer 7 for vista 32
Install Firefox and then install the add-on known as IETab so that it
can emulate IE ?
I won't even bother replying to the rest of your post as we will not
come to any agreement since this is the Windows Update newsgroup and
your post has *nothing* to do with updating Windows.

Since it appears you are not concerned with Security, older versions of
Firefox can be downloaded from here:
http://www.oldversion.com/Mozilla-Firefox.html

IE Tab 1.5.20090525
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...4-cf75ed22f49f

Good luck !

MowGreen
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

banthecheck.com
"Security updates should *never* have *non-security content* prechecked"

fishin49 wrote:
> I have window ME and now in the POGO site which I pay for it says I have to
> update to Internet Explorer 7. So then I go to download it and my computer
> does not support it. What is up with that. Just because my computer is
> older but works like a charm why should I have to pay to upgrade especially
> when a person cannot afford it. I paid for Microsoft when I bought the
> computer but then when you get old they throw you out and say you have to pay
> for support. I think this is all totally wrong. I run Internet Ex 6 now

Robert Aldwinckle

"fishin49" <fishin49@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8A4826E1-6C45-4891-AEDE-A670099800B8@microsoft.com...
>I have window ME and now in the POGO site which I pay for it says I have to
> update to Internet Explorer 7.

Where do you see that? It looks as if it should only say that you are
on your own with respect to support if you don't have XP + IE7 or above

http://help.pogo.com/cgi-bin/eapogo....i=&p_topview=1

<quote>
What browsers does Pogo support? Are there any non-supported browsers?
</quote>

So if you are getting a message on Pogo which tells you that you aren't
supported that may only be significant if it is also preventing you from
using it, which doesn't appear to be the case. However, if that were
the case it would probably be quite easy to find a workaround by
zapping a different User-Agent string to be used with that site.

> So then I go to download it and my computer does not support it.

> What is up with that.

FYI IE7 and above are only available for XP and above.

BTW none of this has anything to do with WU, where I am reading this,
so it would probably be just as well to drop WU from the cross-post,
though I don't know where it started from or where you are reading.
As it happens I do also subscribe to the IE General NG.
Probably the best NG for you to use would be a WindowsME one,
which I am *not* going to add a cross-post to. ; )

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---

Shenan Stanley

Robert Aldwinckle wrote:
> Where do you see that? It looks as if it should only say that you
> are on your own with respect to support if you don't have XP + IE7
> or above
> http://help.pogo.com/cgi-bin/eapogo....i=&p_topview=1
>
> <quote>
> What browsers does Pogo support? Are there any non-supported
> browsers? </quote>
>
> So if you are getting a message on Pogo which tells you that you
> aren't supported that may only be significant if it is also preventing
> you from using it, which doesn't appear to be the case. However,
> if that were the case it would probably be quite easy to find a
> workaround by zapping a different User-Agent string to be used
> with that site.
>
> FYI IE7 and above are only available for XP and above.
>
> BTW none of this has anything to do with WU, where I am reading
> this, so it would probably be just as well to drop WU from the
> cross-post, though I don't know where it started from or where
> you are reading. As it happens I do also subscribe to the IE
> General NG. Probably the best NG for you to use would be a
> WindowsME one, which I am *not* going to add a cross-post to. ; )

This is telling...
http://help.pogo.com/cgi-bin/eapogo.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=823&p_sid=$p_sid

Starting with the words, "Here are the minimum System Requirements to play
Pogo games:"

"Operating System:
• Windows XP, Windows Vista, Mac OS X 10.4.8 and later
• Older Operating systems may work, but are not officially supported."

So - as you pointed out - the user is already on their own where "Pogo
Games" are concerned - just having Windows ME. Having Windows ME and being
unable to get Internet Explorer 7 may actually be a blessing if you continue
reading that web page I linked to above...

"Recommended Java-enabled Web browser:
• Internet Explorer 6
• Internet Explorer 7
Note: There are known issues with Internet Explorer 7
• Firefox 2 or later (Mac and PC)
• Safari (Mac)"

Notice the, "There are known issues with Internet Explorer 7" comment in
there? So - there are *KNOWN* issues playing Pogo Games on Internet
Explorer 7 - but in accordance with that page - Internet Explorer 6 is fine.
Internet Explorer 8 is not even mentioned.

Carrying this conversation even further (why not?) - there is another
link...

http://help.pogo.com/cgi-bin/eapogo....&p_faqid=10318

"The Electronic Arts EasyInfo tool is a great way to quickly diagnose some
of the most common technical issues that our customers experience. The
EasyInfo tool will help you check Minimum System Requirements for various
games, compile diagnostics data, and troubleshoot many issues you might be
having."

Might be worth the OPs time to look into this.

However - if the OP insists on using an older operating system (for whatever
reasons - that does not matter) then my other suggestions might be worth
their time as well...

<entire conversation, including my response>
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...cc96bad2fe2e9/
</entire conversation, including my response>

BTW - there you can see where this was a hijacked conversation that had aged
almost 1 year and 10 months by the time it was hijacked!

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP