Re: Can't change Home Page

jdsmull

Re: Can't change Home Page
(NEW EMAIL: jdsmull@prtcnet.com)
Do you have the reg entries for Win 7 64 bit. I have the same problem NOT
MALWARE
nothing I do will change the home from es-msn.com (I don't speak spanish)
Thank You

"Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM" wrote:

> [...]

> the Windows Firewall is turned on until you reinstall Zone Alarm.
>
> Boot into Safe Mode with Networking with Networking and try the change.
>

> If that is not the problem, get and run these programs (if you test after
> each one you can stop when the problem is gone):
> Ad-Aware:
> http://www.lavasoftusa.com
> Once installed make sure to update via online before scanning!
> and
> Spybot - Search & Destroy -
> http://security.kolla.de/
> http://security.kolla.de/index.php?l...&page=download
> http://spybot.eon.net.au/
> http://www.tomcoyote.org/SPYBOT/
> Once installed make sure to update via online before scanning!
> and
> BHO Demon: http://www.spywareinfo.com/downloads/bhod/
>
> Until the problem is solved.
>
> If you still have problems, some ISP's provide a customized version of IE.
> Some Web pages will also reset your home page and do this. One of the
> customizations they might make is to disable the ability to change the home
> page, so that you are forced to use their home page. You can re-enable this
> by making a small change in the Windows registry.
>
> In Regedit, navigate to this key:
>
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Inte rnet Explorer\Control
> Panel
>
> In the right-hand pane, right-click the "HomePage" value, then select
> Modify. Change it to: 00 00 00 00
>
> Also change either or these to zero 0 instead of 1 if present:
>
> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Policies\Explorer]
> - DWORD "NoSetHomePage"=dword:00000001
>
> [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Inte rnet
> Explorer\Restrictions] - DWORD "NoSetHomePage"=dword:00000001
>
> If you don't have this key, browse to:
>
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main
>
> and in the right hand pane, double click "Local Page" and set equal to
> "C:\WINDOWS\System\blank.htm" (no quotes) which will hopefully set your Home
> Page to blank and then allow you to subsequently modify it using Internet
> Options.
>
> Exit regedit and reboot.
>
> When you reboot, you should be able to change the home page again.
>
> Some pages will also download a program which keeps changing it back. Go to
> Start | Run and type:
> msconfig
> and press <Enter> or click OK. Go to the Startup tab.
> See if you can identify any suspicious programs. If you can, uncheck it, If
> you can't, change the home page to what you want and then uncheck one and
> then reboot. Try IE. If the Web page changed, change it back and then try
> msconfig again, rechecking the last one and unchecking the next. Keep doing
> this until you find the culprit.
>
> --
> Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM
> http://www.fjsmjs.com
> Answer in newsgroup. Don't expect an answer to email.

Re: Can't change Home Page
1. NEVER post or use your real email address in a public newsgroup or forum!

2. You're reply to a thread from January 2007!

3. Our colleague Franks Saunders passed away in early 2009.

Please begin a new thread about your specific problems. State your IE
version and full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista SP2) in your first
post. Thank you.

jdsmull wrote:
> (NEW EMAIL: [MUNGE]@[MUNGE].com)
> Do you have the reg entries for Win 7 64 bit. I have the same problem NOT
> MALWARE
> nothing I do will change the home from es-msn.com (I don't speak spanish)
> Thank You
>
> "Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM" wrote:

<snip>.

Change the Home Page bajkai Internet 1 07-31-2009 09:51
can't change home page Dick microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general 2 03-30-2009 23:47
Cannot change my IE7 Home Page e_cz microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general 1 03-17-2009 22:30
Cannot change IE7 home page Patrick Ryan microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general 2 09-30-2008 02:59
Cannot change home page RichardCP microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general 7 07-18-2008 20:27