download-section -> which registry keys?

Fritz Theiss

download-section -> which registry keys?
hi,

when opening ie 7 'internet options' one can see beneath security ->
internet-zone -> custom level -> downloads three options to enable/disable
specific download "issues". where can i find the equivalent in registry for
all three?

--
thanks in advance / danke im voraus, fritz

Re: download-section -> which registry keys?
Internet Explorer security zones registry entries for advanced users:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/182569

Fritz Theiss wrote:
> when opening ie 7 'internet options' one can see beneath security ->
> internet-zone -> custom level -> downloads three options to enable/disable
> specific download "issues". where can i find the equivalent in registry
> for
> all three?

VanguardLH

Fritz Theiss wrote:

> when opening ie 7 'internet options' one can see beneath security ->
> internet-zone -> custom level -> downloads three options to enable/disable
> specific download "issues". where can i find the equivalent in registry for
> all three?

Use something like InstallWatch (free) to monitor changes to your host.
Make a snapshot, make the change, and then analyze to see how the state of
your host changed.

I suspect you'll be in a section of settings for IE that are identified by
numerical values for the data item's name and which will mean nothing to
you, plus the values are bit-masked and you won't know what is the meaning
of each bit in that mask.

So what's your real goal by knowing the registry entries for settings that
are available via the config UI within the program?
Fritz Theiss

Re: download-section -> which registry keys?
thx so far even i prefer regmon for such issues.

we need these settings being enabled for customers using our software. in
order to faciliate things we are currently thinking about the possibility of
firing all changes needed using a script. such a script would also be related
to a reg-file, which would contain the changes.

by the way: the values for interest are 1604, 1803 and 2200 beneath
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Internet
Settings\Zones\3 ;-). the values have to be changed to 3... thanks to pa bear
for sending me http://support.microsoft.com/kb/182569/en-us.

--

"VanguardLH" wrote:

> Fritz Theiss wrote:
>
> > when opening ie 7 'internet options' one can see beneath security ->
> > internet-zone -> custom level -> downloads three options to enable/disable
> > specific download "issues". where can i find the equivalent in registry for
> > all three?

> Use something like InstallWatch (free) to monitor changes to your host.
> Make a snapshot, make the change, and then analyze to see how the state of
> your host changed.
>
> I suspect you'll be in a section of settings for IE that are identified by
> numerical values for the data item's name and which will mean nothing to
> you, plus the values are bit-masked and you won't know what is the meaning
> of each bit in that mask.
>
> So what's your real goal by knowing the registry entries for settings that
> are available via the config UI within the program?
> .

Re: download-section -> which registry keys?
[I'm not sure I'd want any third-party software/application messing around
with my Custom settings for /any/ security zone. Doing so could be compared
to saying, "It's OK, you don't need to wear your seatbelt at all after I've
driven your car."]

Fritz Theiss wrote:
> thx so far even i prefer regmon for such issues.
>
> we need these settings being enabled for customers using our software. in
> order to faciliate things we are currently thinking about the possibility
> of
> firing all changes needed using a script. such a script would also be
> related to a reg-file, which would contain the changes.
>
> by the way: the values for interest are 1604, 1803 and 2200 beneath
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Internet
> Settings\Zones\3 ;-). the values have to be changed to 3... thanks to pa
> bear for sending me http://support.microsoft.com/kb/182569/en-us.
>
> --
> thanks in advance / danke im voraus, fritz
>
>> Fritz Theiss wrote:
>>
>>> when opening ie 7 'internet options' one can see beneath security ->
>>> internet-zone -> custom level -> downloads three options to
>>> enable/disable
>>> specific download "issues". where can i find the equivalent in registry
>>> for all three?

>> Use something like InstallWatch (free) to monitor changes to your host.
>> Make a snapshot, make the change, and then analyze to see how the state
>> of
>> your host changed.
>>
>> I suspect you'll be in a section of settings for IE that are identified
>> by
>> numerical values for the data item's name and which will mean nothing to
>> you, plus the values are bit-masked and you won't know what is the
>> meaning
>> of each bit in that mask.
>>
>> So what's your real goal by knowing the registry entries for settings
>> that
>> are available via the config UI within the program?
>> .

VanguardLH

Fritz Theiss wrote:

> thx so far even i prefer regmon for such issues.
>
> we need these settings being enabled for customers using our software. in
> order to faciliate things we are currently thinking about the possibility of
> firing all changes needed using a script. such a script would also be related
> to a reg-file, which would contain the changes.
>
> by the way: the values for interest are 1604, 1803 and 2200 beneath
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Internet
> Settings\Zones\3 ;-). the values have to be changed to 3... thanks to pa bear
> for sending me http://support.microsoft.com/kb/182569/en-us.

There are plenty of security programs that will alert on attempted changes
to settings for the web browser, especially those with HIPS (host intrusion
prevention system), and some will lock out such changes. You better ask the
user for permission during the install of your software to make those
changes and document what changes are needed and why they are needed for
your software (but apparently for no one else's software).

1604: Font download
Corrupted fonts are a cause for application crashes. If you are using fonts
that are included in all Windows installations or those that are commonly
pervasive to each platform (Arial, Helvetica, Times New Roman, Courier
[New], etc) then you don't need to download fonts. The default for IE is
for this setting to be enabled, anyway. Those fonts are temporary and are
removed with normal cleanup after the browsing session terminates. They
don't get installed in the user's hosts. Fonts don't need to be downloaded
if they are already installed on the user's host.

1803: File download
This setting is enabled by default in IE. The user would have elected to
manually disable it. Web browsing is often used to download files to your
host. If this setting is off (disabled) then it is likely a domain policy
has set it to that value so you running a script to change it won't work.

2200: Automatic prompting for downloads.
If off (the default), the user sees a yellow infobar telling them a download
file was requested, so the user clicks on the infobar to elect to perform
the download. If on, a popup window appears asking the user for permission
to download the file. For either setting, the download is NOT allowed to
automatically proceed and instead the user gets prompted to allow or block
the download. How could this setting possibly affect your software?
Whether on or off, the user still gets prompted. It is still their choice.