Can't install either IE7 or IE8

Charles W Davis

Can't install either IE7 or IE8
Computer Club member's Win XP Home.
It had a virus and Fake Security program. Got them cleaned up. Uninstalled
Norton 360 and installed AVG 9.

Then things deteriorated. Services were missing. So I did a System Recovery
to XP with SP 1 from the D: partition. I then installed Service Pack 3.

Now I can't get Windows update to do other than have the Browser state done.
I have tried to install Microsoft Update. No dice, I don't have permissions.
I figure that I should install IE8. Fails with no message other than to
restart to remove what has been done. Same with IE7.

Any suggestions will be gratefully appreciated.

Re: Can't install either IE7 or IE8
> It had a virus and Fake Security program. Got them cleaned up.

I don't think so.

> Then things deteriorated. Services were missing. So I did a System
> Recovery
> to XP with SP 1 from the D: partition. I then installed Service Pack 3.

How to perform a repair installation of Windows XP if a later version of
Internet Explorer is installed:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917964

Not that a Repair Install would have fixed the problem in the first place
but did you uninstall IE8 and/or IE7 before doing the Repair Install?

You're definitely looking at a clean install now, Charles.

Charles W Davis wrote:
> Computer Club member's Win XP Home.
> It had a virus and Fake Security program. Got them cleaned up. Uninstalled
> Norton 360 and installed AVG 9.
>
> Then things deteriorated. Services were missing. So I did a System
> Recovery
> to XP with SP 1 from the D: partition. I then installed Service Pack 3.
>
> Now I can't get Windows update to do other than have the Browser state
> done.
> I have tried to install Microsoft Update. No dice, I don't have
> permissions.
> I figure that I should install IE8. Fails with no message other than to
> restart to remove what has been done. Same with IE7.
>
> Any suggestions will be gratefully appreciated.

Charles W Davis

Re: Can't install either IE7 or IE8
It's now a month later and the system is back with another worm which has
been cleaned up. Still can't do an update to the system.
"Charles W Davis" <newsgroup@anthemwebs.com> wrote in message
> Computer Club member's Win XP Home.
> It had a virus and Fake Security program. Got them cleaned up. Uninstalled
> Norton 360 and installed AVG 9.
>
> Then things deteriorated. Services were missing. So I did a System
> Recovery to XP with SP 1 from the D: partition. I then installed Service
> Pack 3.
>
> Now I can't get Windows update to do other than have the Browser state
> done. I have tried to install Microsoft Update. No dice, I don't have
> permissions. I figure that I should install IE8. Fails with no message
> other than to restart to remove what has been done. Same with IE7.
>
> Any suggestions will be gratefully appreciated.

Robert Miles

> It's now a month later and the system is back with another worm which has
> been cleaned up. Still can't do an update to the system.
> "Charles W Davis" <newsgroup@anthemwebs.com> wrote in message
>> Computer Club member's Win XP Home.
>> It had a virus and Fake Security program. Got them cleaned up.
>> Uninstalled Norton 360 and installed AVG 9.
>>
>> Then things deteriorated. Services were missing. So I did a System
>> Recovery to XP with SP 1 from the D: partition. I then installed Service
>> Pack 3.
>>
>> Now I can't get Windows update to do other than have the Browser state
>> done. I have tried to install Microsoft Update. No dice, I don't have
>> permissions. I figure that I should install IE8. Fails with no message
>> other than to restart to remove what has been done. Same with IE7.
>>
>> Any suggestions will be gratefully appreciated.

So you installed XP SP3 without installing XP SP2 first? That doesn't
sound like a good idea, but I'm no expert on it.

Charles W Davis

"Robert Miles" <robertmiles@bellsouthNOSPAM.net> wrote in message
> "Charles W Davis" <newsgroup@anthemwebs.com> wrote in message
>> It's now a month later and the system is back with another worm which has
>> been cleaned up. Still can't do an update to the system.
>> "Charles W Davis" <newsgroup@anthemwebs.com> wrote in message
>>> Computer Club member's Win XP Home.
>>> It had a virus and Fake Security program. Got them cleaned up.
>>> Uninstalled Norton 360 and installed AVG 9.
>>>
>>> Then things deteriorated. Services were missing. So I did a System
>>> Recovery to XP with SP 1 from the D: partition. I then installed
>>> Service Pack 3.
>>>
>>> Now I can't get Windows update to do other than have the Browser state
>>> done. I have tried to install Microsoft Update. No dice, I don't have
>>> permissions. I figure that I should install IE8. Fails with no message
>>> other than to restart to remove what has been done. Same with IE7.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions will be gratefully appreciated.

> So you installed XP SP3 without installing XP SP2 first? That doesn't
> sound like a good idea, but I'm no expert on it.

Got the problem solved. I clicked on the Administrative Options. Its
response was that a service wasn't registered correctly and offered to fix
it. I have now installed Microsoft Update and two updates. I have been able
to start the download and installation of 74 updates.

I regularly install SP3 without SP2.

Thanks for all that read the post.

SC Tom

Re: Can't install either IE7 or IE8

"Robert Miles" <robertmiles@bellsouthNOSPAM.net> wrote in message
> "Charles W Davis" <newsgroup@anthemwebs.com> wrote in message
>> It's now a month later and the system is back with another worm which has
>> been cleaned up. Still can't do an update to the system.
>> "Charles W Davis" <newsgroup@anthemwebs.com> wrote in message
>>> Computer Club member's Win XP Home.
>>> It had a virus and Fake Security program. Got them cleaned up.
>>> Uninstalled Norton 360 and installed AVG 9.
>>>
>>> Then things deteriorated. Services were missing. So I did a System
>>> Recovery to XP with SP 1 from the D: partition. I then installed
>>> Service Pack 3.
>>>
>>> Now I can't get Windows update to do other than have the Browser state
>>> done. I have tried to install Microsoft Update. No dice, I don't have
>>> permissions. I figure that I should install IE8. Fails with no message
>>> other than to restart to remove what has been done. Same with IE7.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions will be gratefully appreciated.

> So you installed XP SP3 without installing XP SP2 first? That doesn't
> sound like a good idea, but I'm no expert on it.

It's perfectly acceptable to skip SP2 to go to SP3 <IF> SP1a is already
installed.
--
SC Tom

Re: Can't install either IE7 or IE8
Repost:

> It had a virus and Fake Security program. Got them cleaned up.

I don't think so.

> Then things deteriorated. Services were missing. So I did a System
> Recovery to XP with SP 1 from the D: partition. I then installed Service
> Pack 3.

How to perform a repair installation of Windows XP if a later version of
Internet Explorer is installed
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917964

Not that a Repair Install would have fixed the problem in the first place
(it wouldn't), but did you uninstall IE8 and/or IE7 before doing the Repair
Install (your "System Recovery")?

You're definitely looking at a clean install now, Charles.

[Originally posted on 25 Nov-09:
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...996aaee8665d9]