IE7-cannot set as default

antioch

IE7-cannot set as default
Acer Extensa Notebook
WIN XP Pro SP3 - nearly up to date with security updates.
IE 7 + OE6

I have been given the above computer and I have been cleaning out all
software etc not required.
Google Chrome was the default browser with Google as home page.
I have tried to set the default browser to IE7.
I have been into Cont Panel/Add Remove/Set Prog Access/Custom.
I could not get IE to set as default.
I removed Google Chrome and although the settings in the new default show
that Int Explorer is the browser with enable access, when I click to open it
on the desktop or quick launch, I get the framework and nothing else - it
freezes like that until I 'End Prog'. I did notice that when I went into
Task Manager, in the Processes col. there were two Int. Explorers running at
the same time - each with 50% usage, but only one showing in Application.
Even the default home page Google[shows as home page in Internet Props] does
not show in the window/address bar at the top.
I tried to open Windows Update from the Start Menu but nothing happens.
Getting the latest updates was to be the next job.
Email works though :-)

Is there something I have missed?

Rgds
Antioch

VanguardLH

Re: IE7-cannot set as default
antioch wrote:

> Acer Extensa Notebook
> WIN XP Pro SP3 - nearly up to date with security updates.
> IE 7 + OE6
>
> I have been given the above computer and I have been cleaning out all
> software etc not required. ...

You've been given a used computer. The prior owner didn't bother to wipe
the partition(s) and perform a *fresh* install of the OS. If the OS was
actually included with the sale of the hardware, now it's time for you to do
the fresh install. Stop trying to lug along all the baggage from an old
install. You don't know what screwed up tweaks, pirateware, malware, or
illegal content, like kiddy ****, might be lingering on that host. Flatten
and rebuild.
antioch

Re: IE7-cannot set as default

> antioch wrote:
>
>> Acer Extensa Notebook
>> WIN XP Pro SP3 - nearly up to date with security updates.
>> IE 7 + OE6
>>
>> I have been given the above computer and I have been cleaning out all
>> software etc not required. ...

> You've been given a used computer. The prior owner didn't bother to wipe
> the partition(s) and perform a *fresh* install of the OS. If the OS was
> actually included with the sale of the hardware, now it's time for you to
> do
> the fresh install. Stop trying to lug along all the baggage from an old
> install. You don't know what screwed up tweaks, pirateware, malware, or
> illegal content, like kiddy ****, might be lingering on that host.
> Flatten
> and rebuild.

Hello Vanguard
Yes, I was afraid that somebody would suggest that.
Since posting, I put WIN Sec Essential on the machine via disc - previous
had been AVG.
On the first run it found WIN32/MARIOFEV.A -
I got the same result as the link below.

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...4-8942f4980c6c

also ran MAM found nothing.

This seems to be only removed via Window updates etc - I know the
machine/user and they did have a couple of social networks going.
Having said that the computer runs very well for all that. Chrome worked
but didn't like it - anyhow, the wife knows IE7 - didn't get on with the
Chrome either.
Familiarity breeds contempt.

I will get the instruction book out - I think the reinstall is drive D.
Having read various links via Google, a clean rebuild back to factory
condition is the best way to go.
Thanks for your help.
Rgds
Antioch

Re: IE7-cannot set as default
antioch wrote:
<snip>
> Yes, I was afraid that somebody would suggest that.
> Since posting, I put WIN Sec Essential on the machine via disc - previous
> had been AVG.
> On the first run it found WIN32/MARIOFEV.A

<SNIP>

Even more reason to do a clean install ASAP!

Please note that a Repair Install (AKA in-place upgrade) will NOT fix this!

cf. http://michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html#steps

After the clean install, you'll have the equivalent of a "new computer" so
take care of everything on the following page before otherwise connecting
the machine to the internet or a network and before using a USB key that
isn't brand-new or hasn't been freshly formatted:

5 steps to help protect your new computer before you go online
http://www.microsoft.com/protect/com...nced/xppc.mspx

Other helpful references include:

HOW TO get a computer running WinXP Gold (no Service Packs) fully patched
(after a clean install)
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...5afa8ed33e121c

HOW TO get a computer running WinXP SP1(a) or SP2 fully patched (after a
clean install)
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...66ae41add7dd2b

antioch

Re: IE7-cannot set as default
Hello PA Bear
I was about to contact you over in the Support Win Sec Essentials which I
managed to install on this computer via disc.
As yet I have not bothered to connect this computer to the net.
The first scan threw up a couple of things but the most important was the
WIN32/MARIOFEV.A - a right little buxxer it seems.

I am currently putting together all the help re a clean install - thanks for
Michael S's link - I had forgotten that one.
I am also currently reading the Acer info as it appears that the reinstall
will be done via D:\ -no OEM disc supplied - common these days.
I do know the ex-user of this notebook - my son, who is now on the other
side of the small pond in Houston for three years.
Oh, I have had Security Essential running for a month now - I must say I
like it a lot, mainly because it performs a full scan in 45 minutes as
opposed to just under 2 hrs with my IP/ISP's Kaspersky based suite.

Thanks again - if I get stuck etc I will be back in XP general.
I also like very much the WLMail - the upgrade performed perfectly.

Rgds
Antioch

> antioch wrote:
> <snip>
>> Yes, I was afraid that somebody would suggest that.
>> Since posting, I put WIN Sec Essential on the machine via disc - previous
>> had been AVG.
>> On the first run it found WIN32/MARIOFEV.A

> <SNIP>
>
> Even more reason to do a clean install ASAP!
>
> Please note that a Repair Install (AKA in-place upgrade) will NOT fix
> this!
>
> cf. http://michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html#steps
>
> After the clean install, you'll have the equivalent of a "new computer" so
> take care of everything on the following page before otherwise connecting
> the machine to the internet or a network and before using a USB key that
> isn't brand-new or hasn't been freshly formatted:
>
> 5 steps to help protect your new computer before you go online
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect/com...nced/xppc.mspx
>
> Other helpful references include:
>
> HOW TO get a computer running WinXP Gold (no Service Packs) fully patched
> (after a clean install)
> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...5afa8ed33e121c
>
> HOW TO get a computer running WinXP SP1(a) or SP2 fully patched (after a
> clean install)
> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...66ae41add7dd2b

antioch

Re: IE7-cannot set as default-FEEDBACK
Further to the below, by the time I had got everything I needed to do a
fresh install of the OS, I got a response from to my ticket to MS
Support[Case SRX1118251854ID .
I telephoned them and was eventually put through to the correct section and
was given excellent assistance by Shad.
He seemed a bit perplexed at first that MSE had found this particular
'nasty' WIN32/MARIOFEV.A in the location it was.
I referred him to

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...4-8942f4980c6c

and a couple of other places where this had been reported.

We then went into 'remote assistance' and within a couple of minutes he was
able to find the reason for the warning of the virus - it was a folder/file
in System32, a 32.dll one which 'had an error'. Due to the time factor, I
was not able to note the exact cause/reason, but it appeared to be a
'false/positive' type of thing.

I have continued to remove a number of unwanted software progs - cleaned out
the temps etc, disc cleaned and defrag - done multiple scans with online AV
and antimalware. Deleted and reset System Restore.
All the latest security updates are installed
The system is running as smooth as it did from the factory - startup and
shut down are done in half the time it took previously.

Hope this info is of use to somebody

Thanks to those with advise etc given

Rgds
Antioch