Dial up and LAN confusion !

RJK

Dial up and LAN confusion !
Just untangled a HP nx9005 lap/note/top/book's Dial-Up and LAN connections !

Owner only has access to dial up.

The LAN connection had proxy settings in it - same as those required in the
dial-up connection properties,
(proxy settings - www-cache.orangehome.co.uk),

So when connecting it to my router / LAN lead, (at diff. location - at my
place), it seemed to trying to route through the above server name yielding
IE's "unable to connect to server" etc.
Deleting those proxy settings in the LAN connection properties, and selected
LAN's "Automatically detect settings" , and selecting "Never Dial a
Connection" or "Dial only when a network connection is not present" quitting
and restarting as necessary etc. ....was a no go, ...it kept trying to route
through above server name.

Had to delete the Orange dial-up connection ....something scrambled ?
....causing unneeded proxy server name to appear in LAN properties ?

Going to have to redo Dial-Up connection of course - mumble ...mumble !

regards, Richard

Allan

Re: Dial up and LAN confusion !

"RJK" <nosuch@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Just untangled a HP nx9005 lap/note/top/book's Dial-Up and LAN connections
> !
>
> Owner only has access to dial up.
>
> The LAN connection had proxy settings in it - same as those required in
> the dial-up connection properties,
> (proxy settings - www-cache.orangehome.co.uk),
>
> So when connecting it to my router / LAN lead, (at diff. location - at my
> place), it seemed to trying to route through the above server name
> yielding IE's "unable to connect to server" etc.
> Deleting those proxy settings in the LAN connection properties, and
> selected LAN's "Automatically detect settings" , and selecting "Never Dial
> a Connection" or "Dial only when a network connection is not present"
> quitting and restarting as necessary etc. ....was a no go, ...it kept
> trying to route through above server name.
>
> Had to delete the Orange dial-up connection ....something scrambled ?
> ...causing unneeded proxy server name to appear in LAN properties ?
>
> Going to have to redo Dial-Up connection of course - mumble ...mumble !

I don't understand why this happened to your friend's computer. The proxy
settings on a dial-up connection have nothing to do with and are completely
independent from the LAN connection. You could just delete the LAN
connection and create a new one. I change the proxy settings on the LAN as
needed on my Windows XP Home SP3 installation and it has no effect on the
existing dial-up connections.

RJK

Re: Dial up and LAN confusion !

"Allan" <mu8ja0i@earthlink.net> wrote in message

> "RJK" <nosuch@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Just untangled a HP nx9005 lap/note/top/book's Dial-Up and LAN
>> connections !
>>
>> Owner only has access to dial up.
>>
>> The LAN connection had proxy settings in it - same as those required in
>> the dial-up connection properties,
>> (proxy settings - www-cache.orangehome.co.uk),
>>
>> So when connecting it to my router / LAN lead, (at diff. location - at my
>> place), it seemed to trying to route through the above server name
>> yielding IE's "unable to connect to server" etc.
>> Deleting those proxy settings in the LAN connection properties, and
>> selected LAN's "Automatically detect settings" , and selecting "Never
>> Dial a Connection" or "Dial only when a network connection is not
>> present" quitting and restarting as necessary etc. ....was a no go, ...it
>> kept trying to route through above server name.
>>
>> Had to delete the Orange dial-up connection ....something scrambled ?
>> ...causing unneeded proxy server name to appear in LAN properties ?
>>
>> Going to have to redo Dial-Up connection of course - mumble ...mumble !
>>

> I don't understand why this happened to your friend's computer. The proxy
> settings on a dial-up connection have nothing to do with and are
> completely independent from the LAN connection. You could just delete the
> LAN connection and create a new one. I change the proxy settings on the
> LAN as needed on my Windows XP Home SP3 installation and it has no effect
> on the existing dial-up connections.

Thanks, that's what I did in the end. I removed the proxy settings in the
LAN conection, deleted the dial-up connection and re-created it - and all
was then Ok. I was aware of how glitchy dial-up can be - many times in the
past have fought a losing battle with a dial-up connection, only to end up
deleting it and re-creating it !

regards, Richard