IE7 & IE8 slow

L.S.

IE7 & IE8 slow
Winxp(home, sp3), IE 7 & 8, AVG(antivirus), Zone Alarm, Netgear 311v2
wireless, Belkin router and Charter cable modem. All updated. Same as I'm
running on this system except wireless card.

Maybe this isn't as weird as it sounds but here goes.

Lost HD, installed a used one I had laying around that had win98se on it.
Loaded winxp and all updates. Did not reformat.??.
Everything works OK, programs, etc. checking e-mail with OE-- except
connection to certain web sites.

These are sites I've gone to for years. stltoday.com, foxnews.com, cnn.com
as an example, foxnews won't even open 1/2 the time. The others open to
homepage with no problems. When I click on a link within the site, sometimes
it will open while other times it just sits there. If a link opens to a new
page and I click the back buttom again, sometimes it goes back and other
time not.
If I go to google, no problem. If I go to a site and download something,
AVG, ZA, office updates it runs fine and will download the file's' with no
problems.
I've even opened another tab when the thing stalls and went to cnet speed
test and it's running at ~ 3mbps. I also tried test on Speakeasy test with ~
same results.

I dl IE8 but no change. I dl Firefox and it's happening with it also.

Thinking it may be my wireless card, I replaced it with a LAN card and ran
directly into router with no luck. I by-passed the router and hooked the
cable straight into the Charter modem but no luck.

My wife, who uses the system more than I, said she noticed it starting to do
this before the HD went down but since the HD was rattling she didn't pay
much attention knowing there was a problem.
The only other thing that I know to try is to take a system home over the
turkey holiday from work and try that. At least it will tell me if it's the
system or Charter.

I did shut down everything. Started the cable modem, then the router and
then the system, no go.

any suggestions please,

philo

Re: IE7 & IE8 slow
L.S. wrote:
> Winxp(home, sp3), IE 7 & 8, AVG(antivirus), Zone Alarm, Netgear 311v2
> wireless, Belkin router and Charter cable modem. All updated. Same as I'm
> running on this system except wireless card.
>
> Maybe this isn't as weird as it sounds but here goes.
>
> Lost HD, installed a used one I had laying around that had win98se on it.
> Loaded winxp and all updates. Did not reformat.??.
> Everything works OK, programs, etc. checking e-mail with OE-- except
> connection to certain web sites.
>
> These are sites I've gone to for years. stltoday.com, foxnews.com, cnn.com
> as an example, foxnews won't even open 1/2 the time. The others open to
> homepage with no problems. When I click on a link within the site, sometimes
> it will open while other times it just sits there. If a link opens to a new
> page and I click the back buttom again, sometimes it goes back and other
> time not.
> If I go to google, no problem. If I go to a site and download something,
> AVG, ZA, office updates it runs fine and will download the file's' with no
> problems.
> I've even opened another tab when the thing stalls and went to cnet speed
> test and it's running at ~ 3mbps. I also tried test on Speakeasy test with ~
> same results.
>
> I dl IE8 but no change. I dl Firefox and it's happening with it also.
>
> Thinking it may be my wireless card, I replaced it with a LAN card and ran
> directly into router with no luck. I by-passed the router and hooked the
> cable straight into the Charter modem but no luck.
>
> My wife, who uses the system more than I, said she noticed it starting to do
> this before the HD went down but since the HD was rattling she didn't pay
> much attention knowing there was a problem.
> The only other thing that I know to try is to take a system home over the
> turkey holiday from work and try that. At least it will tell me if it's the
> system or Charter.
>
> I did shut down everything. Started the cable modem, then the router and
> then the system, no go.
>
> any suggestions please,

Could be your firewall Zone Alarm

try turning it off and going back the default Windows firewall

if you get it sorted out I'd go for a new hard drive

I doubt if there is to much life left in your old one
bobster

Re: IE7 & IE8 slow
philo said:

"Could be your firewall Zone Alarm

try turning it off and going back the default Windows firewall"

Good advice. Also, consider replacing your AV with Microsoft
Security Essentials -- small resource user and very effective. Also
provides spyware protection.

"philo" <philo@privacy.net> wrote in message
L.S. wrote:
> Winxp(home, sp3), IE 7 & 8, AVG(antivirus), Zone Alarm, Netgear 311v2
> wireless, Belkin router and Charter cable modem. All updated. Same as I'm
> running on this system except wireless card.
>
> Maybe this isn't as weird as it sounds but here goes.
>
> Lost HD, installed a used one I had laying around that had win98se on it.
> Loaded winxp and all updates. Did not reformat.??.
> Everything works OK, programs, etc. checking e-mail with OE-- except
> connection to certain web sites.
>
> These are sites I've gone to for years. stltoday.com, foxnews.com, cnn.com
> as an example, foxnews won't even open 1/2 the time. The others open to
> homepage with no problems. When I click on a link within the site,
> sometimes
> it will open while other times it just sits there. If a link opens to a
> new
> page and I click the back buttom again, sometimes it goes back and other
> time not.
> If I go to google, no problem. If I go to a site and download something,
> AVG, ZA, office updates it runs fine and will download the file's' with no
> problems.
> I've even opened another tab when the thing stalls and went to cnet speed
> test and it's running at ~ 3mbps. I also tried test on Speakeasy test with
> ~
> same results.
>
> I dl IE8 but no change. I dl Firefox and it's happening with it also.
>
> Thinking it may be my wireless card, I replaced it with a LAN card and ran
> directly into router with no luck. I by-passed the router and hooked the
> cable straight into the Charter modem but no luck.
>
> My wife, who uses the system more than I, said she noticed it starting to
> do
> this before the HD went down but since the HD was rattling she didn't pay
> much attention knowing there was a problem.
> The only other thing that I know to try is to take a system home over the
> turkey holiday from work and try that. At least it will tell me if it's
> the
> system or Charter.
>
> I did shut down everything. Started the cable modem, then the router and
> then the system, no go.
>
> any suggestions please,

Could be your firewall Zone Alarm

try turning it off and going back the default Windows firewall

if you get it sorted out I'd go for a new hard drive

I doubt if there is to much life left in your old one

L.

Re: IE7 & IE8 slow
update: I've on an old Compac system here at home and it's running fine, no
problem.
Notice that in WTM CPU usage jumps to 90%+(only have 256 meg on this one)
when I open IE but settles back down and the program csrss.exe hardly jumps.
I have OE and IE 7 open and usage is ~ 4% unless I do something.

I'm assuming this says it's the system and not the router or cable box.

Switching back to other system as I only have one monitor here.

"L.S." <nono@yahooie.com> wrote in message
> [...]

>> cable straight into the Charter modem but no luck.
>>
>> My wife, who uses the system more than I, said she noticed it starting to
>> do
>> this before the HD went down but since the HD was rattling she didn't pay
>> much attention knowing there was a problem.
>> The only other thing that I know to try is to take a system home over the
>> turkey holiday from work and try that. At least it will tell me if it's
>> the
>> system or Charter.
>>
>> I did shut down everything. Started the cable modem, then the router and
>> then the system, no go.
>>
>> any suggestions please,
>>

> Could be your firewall Zone Alarm
>
> try turning it off and going back the default Windows firewall
>

> if you get it sorted out I'd go for a new hard drive
>
> I doubt if there is to much life left in your old one

Dan

Re: IE7 & IE8 slow
csrss.exe is, if in the windows\system32 folder, a normal part of the
Windows OS. How many csrss.exe processes do you see in task manager? If more
than one, your system is infected.

I've also posts about csrss.exe using using all available CPU if the user
profile is corrupt, MS have a KB article about this here:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=555021

It also appears that some malware can cause csrss to use a lot of CPU, so
again a scan of the system using a decent malware scanner (a lot of virus
scanners don't bother detecting adware/malware). Malwarebytes
http://www.malwarebytes.org/ is a good one, as is Spybot S&D

Another possible cause of csrss using up CPU is apparently graphics and
system drivers - when you reinstalled Windows did you also install the
appropriate motherboard and graphics card drivers?

Dan

> [...]
>>>
>>> My wife, who uses the system more than I, said she noticed it starting
>>> do
>>> this before the HD went down but since the HD was rattling she didn't
>>> pay
>>> much attention knowing there was a problem.
>>> The only other thing that I know to try is to take a system home over
>>> the
>>> turkey holiday from work and try that. At least it will tell me if it's
>>> the
>>> system or Charter.
>>>
>>> I did shut down everything. Started the cable modem, then the router and
>>> then the system, no go.
>>>
>>> any suggestions please,
>>>

>> Could be your firewall Zone Alarm
>>
>> try turning it off and going back the default Windows firewall
>>

>> if you get it sorted out I'd go for a new hard drive
>>
>> I doubt if there is to much life left in your old one

Since this now appears to be a system problem, I moved this thread over to
windowsxp.general but will follow up here.

I only have one csrss running.
I created a different user profile and deleted old one with no change.
http://support.microsoft.com:80/?kbid=555021
I ran Spybot with nothing found and no change.
** I did change out video card so will check/update driver when I get home
this afternoon. **

The HD's that went out ('old') originally had win98se on it so I bought
winxp upgrade. The 'newer' HD also had 98se on it so I just installed the xp
upgrade over the top of it. Maybe I should have reformatted the 'newer' HD
before loading xp? But I'm assuming I would have to load win98se first as
the xp is an upgrade version. I can still do that as I don't have anything
of value loaded yet.

Thanks and please make any other suggestions.