IE8 Causing Profile Corruption

Duncan Brown

IE8 Causing Profile Corruption
Hello there everybody

We have an annoying situation where we have recently upgrade to IE8 across
all of our 700 machines which are all windows XP sp2 with all the latest
updates. They are connected to a pure windows 2003 domain and when a user
logs on they sometimes and not all the time, receive an error saying cannot
load Roaming profile. When you look further into it the only reason the
profile is failing to load is because of the Favorites URL's no longer have
the security tab assigned hence the reason the profile fails to load.They can
only be deleted if you restart the server. This has only happened since we
upgraded to IE8. can anyone shed any light on this. I have loaded user hive
cleanup to no avail and am at my wits end as there are other people out there
with this problem but no one seems to have an answer

thanks

Re: IE8 Causing Profile Corruption
Why wasn't SP3 installed before you installed IE8?

Duncan Brown wrote:
> Hello there everybody
>
> We have an annoying situation where we have recently upgrade to IE8 across
> all of our 700 machines which are all windows XP sp2 with all the latest
> updates. They are connected to a pure windows 2003 domain and when a user
> logs on they sometimes and not all the time, receive an error saying
> cannot
> load Roaming profile. When you look further into it the only reason the
> profile is failing to load is because of the Favorites URL's no longer
> have
> the security tab assigned hence the reason the profile fails to load.They
> can only be deleted if you restart the server. This has only happened
> since
> we upgraded to IE8. can anyone shed any light on this. I have loaded user
> hive cleanup to no avail and am at my wits end as there are other people
> out there with this problem but no one seems to have an answer
>
> thanks

rob^_^

Re: IE8 Causing Profile Corruption
Hi Duncan,

Funny I was just looking at this the other day....

Which folder is IE8's Favorites pointing at?

I am guessing that there are no shortcuts in the roaming Favorites folder?
(Except Suggest Sites in the Favorites Bar folder?)

I may have to raise an issue report at connect, but

* a workaround should be is that your Users should be able to access their
roaming Favorites folders from the Task Bar of the machine they are on.

I think IE8 has been hard wired to only look in one place for the Favorites
folder for Privacy or security reasons.

Please post back telling us the contents of the User's roaming Favorites
folder (if any).

Regards. rob MSMVP-IE.

"Duncan Brown" <DuncanBrown@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news8A8112B-047E-4E46-AC29-DBC25CF35202@microsoft.com...
> Hello there everybody
>
> We have an annoying situation where we have recently upgrade to IE8 across
> all of our 700 machines which are all windows XP sp2 with all the latest
> updates. They are connected to a pure windows 2003 domain and when a user
> logs on they sometimes and not all the time, receive an error saying
> cannot
> load Roaming profile. When you look further into it the only reason the
> profile is failing to load is because of the Favorites URL's no longer
> have
> the security tab assigned hence the reason the profile fails to load.They
> can
> only be deleted if you restart the server. This has only happened since we
> upgraded to IE8. can anyone shed any light on this. I have loaded user
> hive
> cleanup to no avail and am at my wits end as there are other people out
> there
> with this problem but no one seems to have an answer
>
> thanks

Duncan Brown

Re: IE8 Causing Profile Corruption
Rob

thanks for the reply, the folders in my Favorites in the roaming profile are
as follows

Links folder
GHC-Webmail Shortcut
A Shortcut Experts Exchange

these can also be seen in the task bar as well and open no problem.
Also i forgot to say that if the roaming profile has corrupted the way i
know its the roaming profile is because when deleting the locally held
profile which is the copy of the roaming profile its always the favorites
folder that has the problem and within that if you try and look at the
security tab on one of the favorites, there isnt one. its is not always the
same shortcut, it is usually random ones. I am not really worried about
viewing the shortcuts \ favorites, i am more concerned that i have user who
get corrupt roaming profiles. Also another feature of this problem is that
when the user logs on and their profile is corrupt it then creates a
Temp.Domain folder in C:\Documents&Settings

thanks

Duncan

"rob^_^" wrote:

> Hi Duncan,
>
> Funny I was just looking at this the other day....
>
> Which folder is IE8's Favorites pointing at?
>
> I am guessing that there are no shortcuts in the roaming Favorites folder?
> (Except Suggest Sites in the Favorites Bar folder?)
>
> I may have to raise an issue report at connect, but
>
> * a workaround should be is that your Users should be able to access their
> roaming Favorites folders from the Task Bar of the machine they are on.
>
> I think IE8 has been hard wired to only look in one place for the Favorites
> folder for Privacy or security reasons.
>
> Please post back telling us the contents of the User's roaming Favorites
> folder (if any).
>
> Regards. rob MSMVP-IE.
>
> "Duncan Brown" <DuncanBrown@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news8A8112B-047E-4E46-AC29-DBC25CF35202@microsoft.com...
> > Hello there everybody
> >
> > We have an annoying situation where we have recently upgrade to IE8 across
> > all of our 700 machines which are all windows XP sp2 with all the latest
> > updates. They are connected to a pure windows 2003 domain and when a user
> > logs on they sometimes and not all the time, receive an error saying
> > cannot
> > load Roaming profile. When you look further into it the only reason the
> > profile is failing to load is because of the Favorites URL's no longer
> > have
> > the security tab assigned hence the reason the profile fails to load.They
> > can
> > only be deleted if you restart the server. This has only happened since we
> > upgraded to IE8. can anyone shed any light on this. I have loaded user
> > hive
> > cleanup to no avail and am at my wits end as there are other people out
> > there
> > with this problem but no one seems to have an answer
> >
> > thanks

rob^_^

Re: IE8 Causing Profile Corruption
HI Duncan,

Thanks for your reply and detailed description.

I am only on a home network so I cannot test this, but in the short run
anyway there is the workaround to use the Task bar Favorites folder.

Regards.