New windows opens minimized IE8

Vincent

New windows opens minimized IE8
Expanding it by clicking the square at the upper right hand corner, closing
it and reopening does not help.

Expanding it by dragging the corners to full screen, closing it and
reopening, does not help..

Any suggestions?

frankie

Re: New windows opens minimized IE8

"Vincent" <Vvincent@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Expanding it by clicking the square at the upper right hand corner,
> closing
> it and reopening does not help.
>
> Expanding it by dragging the corners to full screen, closing it and
> reopening, does not help..
>
> Any suggestions?

I've had this problem, tried CTRL and clicking X at top right-hand corner,
closing window by clicking File, Exit. I tried everything in this thread -

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...6-368c90cfeda2

including right-clicking IE shortcut and choosing Maximised.

The good news is that (strangely) the problem seems to have resolved itself.
None of these methods worked immediately, and I'm not sure whether either
did. But am now having the benefit of maximised windows.

IE7 maximised perfectly, IE8 is a pain in the neck!

Good luck

Bruce Hagen

Re: New windows opens minimized IE8
Was it the last window closed after you dragged it?

Any window you want to resize permanently must be the /last/ window closed.

Grab the corners of the window and drag it to full screen size. Do not use
Maximize. Close all other windows first via the Taskbar and this one last.
Windows will remember the *last* screen size used the next time you open the
program.

Also: Whichever shortcut you are using to launch the window, right click it
and select properties. Under the 'Run' drop-down, choose "Maximized".
--

Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express

"Vincent" <Vvincent@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Expanding it by clicking the square at the upper right hand corner,
> closing
> it and reopening does not help.
>
> Expanding it by dragging the corners to full screen, closing it and
> reopening, does not help..
>
> Any suggestions?

VanguardLH

Vincent wrote:

> Expanding it by clicking the square at the upper right hand corner, closing
> it and reopening does not help.
>
> Expanding it by dragging the corners to full screen, closing it and
> reopening, does not help..
>
> Any suggestions?

How can Windows remember the size of the window when you are
*maximizing* it to whatever is the current size of the screen for the
current resolution? If you want the size to be remembered, don't
maximize the window. Instead make it whatever size you want by dragging
its borders or corners, close that window, and then reopen the app to
see its window size is remembered. There is no sizing to remember for
when a window is maximized. If multiple windows are open by the app, it
can't remember the size unless it was the last window that was closed.
After all, if you had a dozen windows open and resized them all, how
would Windows know which window was the size you wanted remembered? The
size is remembered when you exit the application, so it'll be the last
window closed whose size gets remembered.
Vincent

The fix
Thank you all who answered. In this case Google was my friend.

This works.

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...5-6128b047157c

Bruce Hagen

Re: The fix
That looks familiar!

Vincent wrote:

> Thank you all who answered. In this case Google was my friend.
>
> This works.
>
> http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...5-6128b047157c

The property of a *shortcut* to use a maximized window is a "hint" to
the application to open its window maximized to whatever is the current
size of the screen. The application doesn't have to open its window
maximized. It's just a hint or request.

That ONLY works if you use a shortcut to start the application (any
application, not just IE). However, if IE is started as a child
process, like clicking on a URL link in an e-mail, the properties of the
shortcut is not used. After all, you have an unlimited number of
shortcuts to the same application. Which one would get used? Why would
any of them get used since some other process loaded IE as a child
process?

You would need a windowing manager that will control the size of windows
based on either the titlebar for the window or the process that owns
that window. Or you could use one specifically designed just for IE:

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/B...-Manager.shtml

(Never used it so have no experience with it. Just found it by
searching on "window manager" at Softpedia and selecting Freeware
licenses and then selecting "Softpedia Pick".)
VanguardLH

Re: The fix
By the way, do NOT change the Subject header. Some newsreaders cannot
thread posts together based on the References header. Instead they
thread the posts together based on the Subject header - which means you
just started a NEW thread for those users.
Tom

On Nov 21, 12:02*pm, "frankie" <heatonNOS...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> "Vincent" <Vvinc...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> > Expanding *it by clicking the square at the upper right hand corner,
> > closing
> > it and reopening does not help.

> > Expanding it by dragging the corners to full screen, closing it and
> > reopening, does not help..

> > Any suggestions?

> I've had this problem, tried CTRL and clicking X at top right-hand corner,
> closing window by clicking File, Exit. *I tried everything in this thread -
>
> http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...etExplorer/thr...
>
> including right-clicking IE shortcut and choosing Maximised.
>
> The good news is that (strangely) the problem seems to have resolved itself.
> None of these methods worked immediately, and I'm not sure whether either
> did. *But am now having the benefit of maximised windows.
>
> IE7 maximised perfectly, IE8 is a pain in the neck!
>
> Good luck

I had the same problem and fixed it by opening IE8, go to Tools,
Advanced, scroll down to "Reuse windows for launching shortcuts" and
un-check it.