IE8 connection error

MB

IE8 connection error
I just got a new Dell Studio XPS computer with Windows 7 and IE8 (one of
those package deals). I modified my default IE Search Provider to be Google
instead of Bing. Yet every day when first trying to connect, I get the
message that the web page cannot be displayed. I click on the diagnose
button and that almost always corrects the problem. Finally caught that it
was resetting the local area connection adapter. I don't have wireless
connected and that shows as disabled. Any suggestions? Anyone else run into
this?
captfbgnet

Re: IE8 connection error
Heres a good place to start your search for resolving your issues. One of
the forums is IE8. Type in your search parameters, Hope this helps..

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...egory/windows7

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/default.aspx

"MB" <MB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I just got a new Dell Studio XPS computer with Windows 7 and IE8 (one of
> those package deals). I modified my default IE Search Provider to be
> Google
> instead of Bing. Yet every day when first trying to connect, I get the
> message that the web page cannot be displayed. I click on the diagnose
> button and that almost always corrects the problem. Finally caught that
> it
> was resetting the local area connection adapter. I don't have wireless
> connected and that shows as disabled. Any suggestions? Anyone else run
> into
> this?

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: IE8 connection error

"MB" <MB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FBF792D0-207E-4785-8E0B-64814C3EB770@microsoft.com...
>I just got a new Dell Studio XPS computer with Windows 7 and IE8 (one of
> those package deals). I modified my default IE Search Provider to be Google
> instead of Bing. Yet every day when first trying to connect, I get the
> message that the web page cannot be displayed. I click on the diagnose
> button and that almost always corrects the problem. Finally caught that it
> was resetting the local area connection adapter. I don't have wireless
> connected and that shows as disabled.

> Any suggestions? Anyone else run into this?

Post in a W7 forum which specializes in networking.
What matters is what your connection looks like to the OS.
Apparently yours looks like a LAN but it is not ready
to connect to the Internet when the OS wants to use it.

FWIW the way I solve this problem is configure my DSL modem
as a bridge and have the OS create a PPPoE connection
at startup using rasdial. An alternative would be to configure
the modem as a firewall but then always make sure that it had
established the PPPoE connection before the OS tried to use
the connection.

I would hope that there were ways to make the OS aware of
the real situation and hence provide more appropriate timeout values
but I don't know what they are. Others may know or have other
suggestions.

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---

jack ackerman

Re: IE8 connection error

--
jack ackerman

"captfbgnet" wrote:

> Heres a good place to start your search for resolving your issues. One of
> the forums is IE8. Type in your search parameters, Hope this helps..
>
> http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...egory/windows7
>
> http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/default.aspx
>
> "MB" <MB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I just got a new Dell Studio XPS computer with Windows 7 and IE8 (one of
> > those package deals). I modified my default IE Search Provider to be
> > Google
> > instead of Bing. Yet every day when first trying to connect, I get the
> > message that the web page cannot be displayed. I click on the diagnose
> > button and that almost always corrects the problem. Finally caught that
> > it
> > was resetting the local area connection adapter. I don't have wireless
> > connected and that shows as disabled. Any suggestions? Anyone else run
> > into
> > this?

RudyR

Re: IE8 connection error
I have a similar problem; XP Pro SP-3 and IE8. My machine uses the
motherboard e-net jack to connect to a DSL modem (and the internet). I have
a NIC installed in a PCI slot that connects to a home LAN (of two computers).
I am not using ICS. When IE is opened, it goes right to the designated home
page. At the first attempt to go to another web site, IE starts trying to
use the home LAN and reports it can't open the web page. The only way I can
find to keep IE working is to disable the NIC that is connected to the home
LAN. With the NIC disabled, IE works just fine and all is well.

I can find no way to tell IE what network it should use. Is there some
setting somewhere that can make this kind of assignment?
--
Thanks,
Rudy R