IE8 tool bars

Ettenna

IE8 tool bars
I have installed IE8 with no probs so far HOWEVER I do have one question, the
Favourites star, how do I get rid of the darn thing, I have hidden favourites
but the star remains, the reason I want to get rid of it is that I only have
a small screen and the way this is sitting takes up 1inch of my screen for no
purpose, consequences are that where ever I go on the web I am missing part
of the page and spend most of the time scrolling to see it all, the other
annoyance is with games I can no longer see the whole game panel , so not
much point in playing , can someone tell me how to make the star go away. My
tool bars are set as follows, top line-MENU bar has file,edit etc and sharing
that line is Google search, the next line under that has my address bar
shared with back/forward button, refresh/stop button , this is all I want at
the top BUT under the address bar is the Favourites star which uses another
inch of screen right accross , please please is there some way to remove it
from the screen so I can get my precious inch of screen back

Re: IE8 tool bars
Favorites Center cannot be removed, sorry.

Ettenna wrote:
> I have installed IE8 with no probs so far HOWEVER I do have one question,
> the Favourites star, how do I get rid of the darn thing, I have hidden
> favourites but the star remains, the reason I want to get rid of it is
> that
> I only have a small screen and the way this is sitting takes up 1inch of
> my
> screen for no purpose, consequences are that where ever I go on the web I
> am missing part of the page and spend most of the time scrolling to see it
> all, the other annoyance is with games I can no longer see the whole game
> panel , so not much point in playing , can someone tell me how to make the
> star go away. My tool bars are set as follows, top line-MENU bar has
> file,edit etc and sharing that line is Google search, the next line under
> that has my address bar shared with back/forward button, refresh/stop
> button , this is all I want at the top BUT under the address bar is the
> Favourites star which uses another inch of screen right accross , please
> please is there some way to remove it from the screen so I can get my
> precious inch of screen back

G. R. Woodring

Re: IE8 tool bars
Right-click the Favorites star, mouse down to "Customize", on the pop-out menu
select "Show Only icons". This will reduce it to just the star without
"Favorites" text. Down to about a 1/4 inch square button is about the best you
can do.

The favorites toggle is on the same line as the tabs so I don't see how it would
effect display space. If you need more tab space, on the previously mentioned
"Customize" menu, select "Add or Remove Commands...", You should be able to live
with just Home and Page as the others are available on the Menu bar that you are
using for Google Search. You can get more space by hiding the Menu bar (File,
Edit, etc.) it automagically reappears with the "Alt" key. (Google Search might
prevent hiding, don't know, don't use it).

Also F11 will expand the display area to full screen (only the status bar
remains). Hitting F11 again restores to normal view.

And of course the obligatory: Get a bigger monitor! :-)

--
G. R. Woodring

Date: 11/20/2009 7:58 PM, Author: Ettenna Wrote:
> I have installed IE8 with no probs so far HOWEVER I do have one question, the
> Favourites star, how do I get rid of the darn thing, I have hidden favourites
> but the star remains, the reason I want to get rid of it is that I only have
> a small screen and the way this is sitting takes up 1inch of my screen for no
> purpose, consequences are that where ever I go on the web I am missing part
> of the page and spend most of the time scrolling to see it all, the other
> annoyance is with games I can no longer see the whole game panel , so not
> much point in playing , can someone tell me how to make the star go away. My
> tool bars are set as follows, top line-MENU bar has file,edit etc and sharing
> that line is Google search, the next line under that has my address bar
> shared with back/forward button, refresh/stop button , this is all I want at
> the top BUT under the address bar is the Favourites star which uses another
> inch of screen right accross , please please is there some way to remove it
> from the screen so I can get my precious inch of screen back

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: IE8 tool bars

"Ettenna" <Lustylilly@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:7CF05ADE-1808-4986-814B-C33F09C4F6C0@microsoft.com...
>I have installed IE8 with no probs so far HOWEVER I do have one question, the
> Favourites star, how do I get rid of the darn thing, I have hidden favourites
> but the star remains, the reason I want to get rid of it is that I only have
> a small screen and the way this is sitting takes up 1inch of my screen for no
> purpose, consequences are that

> where ever I go on the web I am missing part of the page
> and spend most of the time scrolling to see it all,

Why not use F11 then and toggle into Fullscreen mode instead?
No extra scrolling needed then.

> the other
> annoyance is with games I can no longer see the whole game panel , so not
> much point in playing ,

Same thing. Fullscreen mode with Auto-Hide of the Toolbar is the appropriate
solution for that case. Also, notice that even with Auto-Hide unchecked you
would get extra screen space because there is no Title line in that mode and
the toolbar layout is usually reduced then too.

> can someone tell me how to make the star go away. My
> tool bars are set as follows, top line-MENU bar has file,edit etc and sharing
> that line is Google search, the next line under that has my address bar
> shared with back/forward button, refresh/stop button , this is all I want at
> the top BUT under the address bar is the Favourites star which uses another
> inch of screen right accross , please please is there some way to remove it
> from the screen so I can get my precious inch of screen back

You haven't mentioned tabs. Are you not using tabs? The Favorites Center
button fits nicely before the first tab in its row; so no vertical screen space
difference then.

In any case you can look for more radical customization options
which may help hide the Favorites Center button or at least
move it somewhere less conspicuous when tabs are not enabled.
E.g. look for sites like enhanceie and quero.

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---

Ettenna

RE: IE8 tool bars
None of the following suggestions of much help, I am of the feeling this is
not as user friendly as other IE's in the past I recall this very same prob
with ie7 , and was able to remove the star so why can't we now. The
suggestion get a bigger screen is duh! The star is not even on it's own bar
it has tacked itself to the bottom of the address bar and even when I get rid
of the Menu bar AND my google bar it still takes up more room than the other
two did together and hidding menu and google is inconveniant for what I wish
to do on my comp. So guess only answer is roll back to 7. Thanks but no
thanks to 8.

"Ettenna" wrote:

> I have installed IE8 with no probs so far HOWEVER I do have one question, the
> Favourites star, how do I get rid of the darn thing, I have hidden favourites
> but the star remains, the reason I want to get rid of it is that I only have
> a small screen and the way this is sitting takes up 1inch of my screen for no
> purpose, consequences are that where ever I go on the web I am missing part
> of the page and spend most of the time scrolling to see it all, the other
> annoyance is with games I can no longer see the whole game panel , so not
> much point in playing , can someone tell me how to make the star go away. My
> tool bars are set as follows, top line-MENU bar has file,edit etc and sharing
> that line is Google search, the next line under that has my address bar
> shared with back/forward button, refresh/stop button , this is all I want at
> the top BUT under the address bar is the Favourites star which uses another
> inch of screen right accross , please please is there some way to remove it
> from the screen so I can get my precious inch of screen back

G. R. Woodring

Re: IE8 tool bars
What suggestions? From who? You replied to your own post.

You referred to the "Favourites star" which on my IE8 is a small button with a
star and the word "Favorites" snuggled under the Back/Forward buttons. If you
mean the Favorites Bar which displays links all the way across the browser
window then you can remove it easily: [View]>[Toolbars], un-check "Favorites Bar".

On my IE8 I have only the Command Bar and Status Bar. Can't get much more
minimal than that. If you prefer to keep the Menu Bar with Google that's fine
but as I said when it is hidden it reappears with a tap on the [Alt] key, it
disappears again after you have made your menu selection.

I was being sarcastic in suggesting a new monitor, but maybe I should ask what
size you have and what resolution you are using. Maybe a new monitor is a valid
suggestion. It's not unusual for our needs (or wants) to outgrow the hardware.

--
G. R. Woodring