Internet explorer 7 - Windows XP home edition windows live mail

FLYNNE

Internet explorer 7 - Windows XP home edition windows live mail
On signing on to my windows live mail account I see my mail boxes for about
10 seconds and then internet explorer 7 closes down.

This happens after repeatedl attempts .

Everything is normal on my friends lap top computer which uses windows Vista.

Any suggestions please ?

Regards
Leonard Grey

Re: Internet explorer 7 - Windows XP home edition windows live mail
Do you have the same experience when you start Internet Explorer from
the 'no add-ons' icon?

Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Internet Explorer
(No Add-Ons)

Do you have the same experience after you have reset Internet Explorer
settings?

"How to Reset Internet Explorer Settings"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737

Problems with Internet Explorer can also be caused by by malicious
software ('malware') that you have unwittingly installed on your computer.

---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

FLYNNE wrote:
> On signing on to my windows live mail account I see my mail boxes for about
> 10 seconds and then internet explorer 7 closes down.
>
> This happens after repeatedl attempts .
>
> Everything is normal on my friends lap top computer which uses windows Vista.
>
> Any suggestions please ?
>
> Regards

FLYNNE

Re: Internet explorer 7 - Windows XP home edition windows live ma
Hello Leonard

On carrying out both suggested tasks internet explorer closes down about 10
seconds afte signing on.

Regards

"Leonard Grey" wrote:

> Do you have the same experience when you start Internet Explorer from
> the 'no add-ons' icon?
>
> Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Internet Explorer
> (No Add-Ons)
>
> Do you have the same experience after you have reset Internet Explorer
> settings?
>
> "How to Reset Internet Explorer Settings"
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737
>
> Problems with Internet Explorer can also be caused by by malicious
> software ('malware') that you have unwittingly installed on your computer.
>
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare humanum est
>
> FLYNNE wrote:
> > On signing on to my windows live mail account I see my mail boxes for about
> > 10 seconds and then internet explorer 7 closes down.
> >
> > This happens after repeatedl attempts .
> >
> > Everything is normal on my friends lap top computer which uses windows Vista.
> >
> > Any suggestions please ?
> >
> > Regards

> .

Leonard Grey

Re: Internet explorer 7 - Windows XP home edition windows live ma
(I listed a third suggestion as well.)

The article below also applies to IE 7:

"When you start Internet Explorer 8, it opens and then closes immediately"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/967896

---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

FLYNNE wrote:
> Hello Leonard
>
> On carrying out both suggested tasks internet explorer closes down about 10
> seconds afte signing on.
>
> Regards
>
> "Leonard Grey" wrote:
>
>> Do you have the same experience when you start Internet Explorer from
>> the 'no add-ons' icon?
>>
>> Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Internet Explorer
>> (No Add-Ons)
>>
>> Do you have the same experience after you have reset Internet Explorer
>> settings?
>>
>> "How to Reset Internet Explorer Settings"
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737
>>
>> Problems with Internet Explorer can also be caused by by malicious
>> software ('malware') that you have unwittingly installed on your computer.
>>
>> ---
>> Leonard Grey
>> Errare humanum est
>>
>> FLYNNE wrote:
>>> On signing on to my windows live mail account I see my mail boxes for about
>>> 10 seconds and then internet explorer 7 closes down.
>>>
>>> This happens after repeatedl attempts .
>>>
>>> Everything is normal on my friends lap top computer which uses windows Vista.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions please ?
>>>
>>> Regards

>> .

VanguardLH

FLYNNE wrote:

> On signing on to my windows live mail account I see my mail boxes for
> about 10 seconds and then internet explorer 7 closes down. This
> happens after repeatedl attempts .

Tried rebooting into Windows' Safe Mode (with networking) and retest?

Re: Internet explorer 7 - Windows XP home edition windows live mail
Assuming you're referring to Windows Live Hotmail, not Windows Live Mail
(http://download.live.com/wlmail)...

HOW TO Optimize IE for Windows Live Hotmail (27 May 2008)
[NB: There are separate sections for IE6 and IE7 (still incorrectly titled
"Windows Explorer 7"); the IE7 section applies to IE8]
http://emailsupport.spaces.live.com/...708!6203.entry
www.banthecheck.com

FLYNNE wrote:
> On signing on to my windows live mail account I see my mail boxes for
> about
> 10 seconds and then internet explorer 7 closes down.
>
> This happens after repeatedl attempts .
>
> Everything is normal on my friends lap top computer which uses windows
> Vista.
>
> Any suggestions please ?
>
> Regards

FLYNNE

Re: Internet explorer 7 - Windows XP home edition windows live ma
My apologies to all people who have responded to my e - mail.

I have not given the complete picture.

Internet explorer 7 only closes down when I sign into Windows Live Hotmail -
the browser behaves normally with all other web sies.

Leonard - I have run norton antivirus and Superantispyware scans and found
no malicious software.

They may seem like a stupid question but do I need any software on my
computer so that Windows Live Hotmail can operate - I can find no trace of
such software.

I mention this because PA Bear mentions a download.

I have always assumed that Hotmail and any similar mail setup is entirely
web based with all data saved on the web site.

Any comments from any of you are most welcome.

Regards

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Assuming you're referring to Windows Live Hotmail, not Windows Live Mail
> (http://download.live.com/wlmail)...
>
> HOW TO Optimize IE for Windows Live Hotmail (27 May 2008)
> [NB: There are separate sections for IE6 and IE7 (still incorrectly titled
> "Windows Explorer 7"); the IE7 section applies to IE8]
> http://emailsupport.spaces.live.com/...708!6203.entry
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> www.banthecheck.com
>

> FLYNNE wrote:
> > On signing on to my windows live mail account I see my mail boxes for
> > about
> > 10 seconds and then internet explorer 7 closes down.
> >
> > This happens after repeatedl attempts .
> >
> > Everything is normal on my friends lap top computer which uses windows
> > Vista.
> >
> > Any suggestions please ?
> >
> > Regards

> .

Re: Internet explorer 7 - Windows XP home edition windows live ma
cf. http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=42778

[I thought your post there looked familiar!]

FLYNNE wrote:
> My apologies to all people who have responded to my e - mail.
>
> I have not given the complete picture.
>
> Internet explorer 7 only closes down when I sign into Windows Live
> Hotmail -
> the browser behaves normally with all other web sies.
>
> Leonard - I have run norton antivirus and Superantispyware scans and found
> no malicious software.
>
> They may seem like a stupid question but do I need any software on my
> computer so that Windows Live Hotmail can operate - I can find no trace of
> such software.
>
> I mention this because PA Bear mentions a download.
>
> I have always assumed that Hotmail and any similar mail setup is entirely
> web based with all data saved on the web site.
>
> Any comments from any of you are most welcome.
>
> Regards
>

> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Assuming you're referring to Windows Live Hotmail, not Windows Live Mail
>> (http://download.live.com/wlmail)...
>>
>> HOW TO Optimize IE for Windows Live Hotmail (27 May 2008)
>> [NB: There are separate sections for IE6 and IE7 (still incorrectly
>> titled
>> "Windows Explorer 7"); the IE7 section applies to IE8]
>> http://emailsupport.spaces.live.com/...708!6203.entry
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> www.banthecheck.com
>>

>> FLYNNE wrote:
>>> On signing on to my windows live mail account I see my mail boxes for
>>> about
>>> 10 seconds and then internet explorer 7 closes down.
>>>
>>> This happens after repeatedl attempts .
>>>
>>> Everything is normal on my friends lap top computer which uses windows
>>> Vista.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions please ?
>>>
>>> Regards

>> .

FLYNNE

Re: Internet explorer 7 - Windows XP home edition windows live ma
Hello PA Bear

This is a sudden , new problem which occurred a few days ago.

IE7 instaled First

SP3 installed later

Anti-virus application - Norton Anti-virus ( subscription renewable 21 - Dec
- 2009 )

Anti -spyware -Superantispyware.

Third party Firewall - none - Windows Firewall only.

The Spyware and Norton Anti- virus are on line enabled so I presume that
both were running in the background when IE7 and SP3 were installed.

I have been using Windows Live OneCare safety scanner over the last 2 weeks.

No free trials of any description have been installed.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> cf. http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=42778
>
> [I thought your post there looked familiar!]
>

> FLYNNE wrote:
> > My apologies to all people who have responded to my e - mail.
> >
> > I have not given the complete picture.
> >
> > Internet explorer 7 only closes down when I sign into Windows Live
> > Hotmail -
> > the browser behaves normally with all other web sies.
> >
> > Leonard - I have run norton antivirus and Superantispyware scans and found
> > no malicious software.
> >
> > They may seem like a stupid question but do I need any software on my
> > computer so that Windows Live Hotmail can operate - I can find no trace of
> > such software.
> >
> > I mention this because PA Bear mentions a download.
> >
> > I have always assumed that Hotmail and any similar mail setup is entirely
> > web based with all data saved on the web site.
> >
> > Any comments from any of you are most welcome.
> >
> > Regards
> >

> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> Assuming you're referring to Windows Live Hotmail, not Windows Live Mail
> >> (http://download.live.com/wlmail)...
> >>
> >> HOW TO Optimize IE for Windows Live Hotmail (27 May 2008)
> >> [NB: There are separate sections for IE6 and IE7 (still incorrectly
> >> titled
> >> "Windows Explorer 7"); the IE7 section applies to IE8]
> >> http://emailsupport.spaces.live.com/...708!6203.entry
> >> --
> >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> >> www.banthecheck.com

> >> .

> .

Robert Aldwinckle

"FLYNNE" <FLYNNE@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message newsA49EBB1-CE14-480D-94E3-A14E815DC656@microsoft.com...

> They may seem like a stupid question but do I need any software on my
> computer so that Windows Live Hotmail can operate - I can find no trace of
> such software.

For sure you will need to have Active Scripting enabled.
You could control that by setting Active Scripting to Prompt
and then giving each prompt a No or a Yes.

I don't know if there is a ActiveX control associated with the Hotmail
Inbox or not. However, if there is you could similarly control it by
setting Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins to Prompt and giving each
prompt for it a No or a Yes too.

Hmm... there is an ActiveX control needed for login. Unfortunately the
prompt isn't as helpful as it might be because it gives us no clues about
which ActiveX control you would be allowing. FWIW I was able to open
my Live Hotmail Inbox (eventually) and still disallow all prompts for ActiveX.
My guess is there may have been some Flash ads available that I disallowed...

I think I have confirmed that guess by using Manage Add-ons to disable
Flash and reshowing the Inbox. I got a notice in my Status bar that
the page wanted to use a disabled ActiveX control... Who knew?
I have never seen that before and with it there was a new icon in place
of the usually empty slot which when doubleclicked opens the Manage
Add-ons tool. Thanks for this bit of serendipity! ; )

FYI a broken Flash install is a common cause of your problem symptom.

> I mention this because PA Bear mentions a download.

Oh? Was it Flash? <eg>

> I have always assumed that Hotmail and any similar mail setup is entirely
> web based with all data saved on the web site.
>
> Any comments from any of you are most welcome.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---