Can't open new window or tab in IE8 32 bit?

GaryG

Can't open new window or tab in IE8 32 bit?
Win 7 Pro on a new HP i7 PC with 9GB ram. All MS and HP updates installed

64 bit IE8 works perfect. Only 32 bit version has this problem.

Can not right click and "Open in new window"
Can not right click and "open in new tab"
Links that open in a new tab just sit there saying "Connecting"
Links that open in a new window do nothing. (Like new question window in here)

I have reset all defaults in internet, Intranet, and Trusted Zones.
I have cleared all temp and cache files
I have reset advanced settings
I have uninstalled and reinstalled IE8
I have regsvr32 some specific dll files as suggested in other MS forums
NOTHING WORKS TO FIX THIS.

Technet doesn't have any answers but searching the web does find this error
reported frequently. None with any solutions

IE32 bit did work initially. With so many updates I can't pinpoint when it
stopped doing so.

I have spent too much time personalizing everything and adding programs to
restart with a clean install. All mainstream like Quickbooks 2010 etc. Not
sure that some would even let me reregister if I did a clean reinstall of
Win7..

As a side note, IE8 running in XP Mode virtual machine also runs perfect.

Re: Can't open new window or tab in IE8 32 bit?
Does the behavior persist if you start IE 32-bit in No Add-ons mode?

What anti-virus application or security suite is installed, is your
subscription current, and is it supported in Win7? What anti-spyware

Has a(another) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this
it)?

Officially, all Win7 Support should be obtained in one of these forums:
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...egory/windows7
www.banthecheck.com

GaryG wrote:
> Win 7 Pro on a new HP i7 PC with 9GB ram. All MS and HP updates installed
>
> 64 bit IE8 works perfect. Only 32 bit version has this problem.
>
> Can not right click and "Open in new window"
> Can not right click and "open in new tab"
> Links that open in a new tab just sit there saying "Connecting"
> Links that open in a new window do nothing. (Like new question window in
> here)
>
> I have reset all defaults in internet, Intranet, and Trusted Zones.
> I have cleared all temp and cache files
> I have reset advanced settings
> I have uninstalled and reinstalled IE8
> I have regsvr32 some specific dll files as suggested in other MS forums
> NOTHING WORKS TO FIX THIS.
>
> Technet doesn't have any answers but searching the web does find this
> error
> reported frequently. None with any solutions
>
> IE32 bit did work initially. With so many updates I can't pinpoint when it
> stopped doing so.
>
> I have spent too much time personalizing everything and adding programs to
> restart with a clean install. All mainstream like Quickbooks 2010 etc. Not
> sure that some would even let me reregister if I did a clean reinstall of
> Win7..
>
> As a side note, IE8 running in XP Mode virtual machine also runs perfect.

Bob

Re: Can't open new window or tab in IE8 32 bit?
Which firewall, anti-virus, anti-spyware or security suite is installed?
There are some that cause problems which don’t always appear immediately.

"GaryG" <GaryG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Win 7 Pro on a new HP i7 PC with 9GB ram. All MS and HP updates installed
>
> 64 bit IE8 works perfect. Only 32 bit version has this problem.
>
> Can not right click and "Open in new window"
> Can not right click and "open in new tab"
> Links that open in a new tab just sit there saying "Connecting"
> Links that open in a new window do nothing. (Like new question window in
> here)
>
> I have reset all defaults in internet, Intranet, and Trusted Zones.
> I have cleared all temp and cache files
> I have reset advanced settings
> I have uninstalled and reinstalled IE8
> I have regsvr32 some specific dll files as suggested in other MS forums
> NOTHING WORKS TO FIX THIS.
>
> Technet doesn't have any answers but searching the web does find this
> error
> reported frequently. None with any solutions
>
> IE32 bit did work initially. With so many updates I can't pinpoint when it
> stopped doing so.
>
> I have spent too much time personalizing everything and adding programs to
> restart with a clean install. All mainstream like Quickbooks 2010 etc. Not
> sure that some would even let me reregister if I did a clean reinstall of
> Win7..
>
> As a side note, IE8 running in XP Mode virtual machine also runs perfect.

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: Can't open new window or tab in IE8 32 bit?

"GaryG" <GaryG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BDC51E84-07AA-4F9E-8DAB-3E674F8D21A3@microsoft.com...

> I have regsvr32 some specific dll files as suggested in other MS forums
> NOTHING WORKS TO FIX THIS.

IE seems to be going away from such repairs, instead going to
..msi based repairs such as you could get by using the Control Panel's
Add or Remove Programs applet's Set Program Access and Defaults
tool. See if re-registering IE as your default brower that way helps
at all. Also, since there are so many more security/obscurity impediments
these days it may help to use that tool when Run as Administrator.
E.g. just before the .msi file is executed use the appropriate right-click
incantations to get that done. In fact, I would try it from a safe mode
command only boot but I suppose in that case the Installer service might
not be running. ; ]

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---

GaryG

Re: Can't open new window or tab in IE8 32 bit?
32bit IE8 no-add ins mode doesn't help.
Using only Microsoft Security Essentials and MS Firewall.
Moving a website into trusted zone with minimal security doesn't help.

Just a reminder IE8 64 bit works fine, except flas and even silverlight
don't work on x64.

Thanks for telling me what usenet group to use. I couldn't find Win7 group.

Gary

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Does the behavior persist if you start IE 32-bit in No Add-ons mode?
>
> What anti-virus application or security suite is installed, is your
> subscription current, and is it supported in Win7? What anti-spyware
>
> Has a(another) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this
> it)?
>
> Officially, all Win7 Support should be obtained in one of these forums:
> http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...egory/windows7
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> www.banthecheck.com
>

> GaryG wrote:
> > Win 7 Pro on a new HP i7 PC with 9GB ram. All MS and HP updates installed
> >
> > 64 bit IE8 works perfect. Only 32 bit version has this problem.
> >
> > Can not right click and "Open in new window"
> > Can not right click and "open in new tab"
> > Links that open in a new tab just sit there saying "Connecting"
> > Links that open in a new window do nothing. (Like new question window in
> > here)
> >
> > I have reset all defaults in internet, Intranet, and Trusted Zones.
> > I have cleared all temp and cache files
> > I have reset advanced settings
> > I have uninstalled and reinstalled IE8
> > I have regsvr32 some specific dll files as suggested in other MS forums
> > NOTHING WORKS TO FIX THIS.
> >
> > Technet doesn't have any answers but searching the web does find this
> > error
> > reported frequently. None with any solutions
> >
> > IE32 bit did work initially. With so many updates I can't pinpoint when it
> > stopped doing so.
> >
> > I have spent too much time personalizing everything and adding programs to
> > restart with a clean install. All mainstream like Quickbooks 2010 etc. Not
> > sure that some would even let me reregister if I did a clean reinstall of
> > Win7..
> >
> > As a side note, IE8 running in XP Mode virtual machine also runs perfect.

> .

Re: Can't open new window or tab in IE8 32 bit?
> Just a reminder IE8 64 bit works fine, except [flash] and even silverlight
> don't work on x64.

Are there 64-bit versions of Flash and Silverlight? No, nor are ActiveX
Controls on which they depend supported in IE 64-bit. Access pages with
Flash or Silverlight content in IE 32-bit.

> Using only Microsoft Security Essentials...

What anti-virus application were you using before you installed MSE, was
your subscription still current, and did you uninstall it before you
installed MSE?

Repost: Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this
it)?

Did you upgrade to Win7 64-bit or is it a brand-new computer with Win7
64-bit preinstalled by the OEM?

> Thanks for telling me what usenet group to use. I couldn't find Win7
> group.

The Win7 *forums* are not available via Usenet nor are there any
Win7-specific Microsoft newsgroups.

GaryG wrote:
> 32bit IE8 no-add ins mode doesn't help.
> Using only Microsoft Security Essentials and MS Firewall.
> Moving a website into trusted zone with minimal security doesn't help.
>
> Just a reminder IE8 64 bit works fine, except flas and even silverlight
> don't work on x64.
>
> Thanks for telling me what usenet group to use. I couldn't find Win7
> group.
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> Does the behavior persist if you start IE 32-bit in No Add-ons mode?
>>
>> What anti-virus application or security suite is installed, is your
>> subscription current, and is it supported in Win7? What anti-spyware
>> applications (other than Defender)? What third-party firewall (if any)?
>>
>> Has a(another) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this
>> bought
>> it)?
>>
>> Officially, all Win7 Support should be obtained in one of these forums:
>> http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...egory/windows7
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> www.banthecheck.com
>>

>> GaryG wrote:
>>> Win 7 Pro on a new HP i7 PC with 9GB ram. All MS and HP updates
>>> installed
>>>
>>> 64 bit IE8 works perfect. Only 32 bit version has this problem.
>>>
>>> Can not right click and "Open in new window"
>>> Can not right click and "open in new tab"
>>> Links that open in a new tab just sit there saying "Connecting"
>>> Links that open in a new window do nothing. (Like new question window in
>>> here)
>>>
>>> I have reset all defaults in internet, Intranet, and Trusted Zones.
>>> I have cleared all temp and cache files
>>> I have reset advanced settings
>>> I have uninstalled and reinstalled IE8
>>> I have regsvr32 some specific dll files as suggested in other MS forums
>>> NOTHING WORKS TO FIX THIS.
>>>
>>> Technet doesn't have any answers but searching the web does find this
>>> error
>>> reported frequently. None with any solutions
>>>
>>> IE32 bit did work initially. With so many updates I can't pinpoint when
>>> it
>>> stopped doing so.
>>>
>>> I have spent too much time personalizing everything and adding programs
>>> restart with a clean install. All mainstream like Quickbooks 2010 etc.
>>> Not
>>> sure that some would even let me reregister if I did a clean reinstall
>>> of
>>> Win7..
>>>
>>> As a side note, IE8 running in XP Mode virtual machine also runs
>>> perfect.

>> .

Bobby Johnson

Re: Can't open new window or tab in IE8 32 bit?
Is this another example of "Shotgun Effect" posting? Is there something
wrong with only posting in one forum as is strongly recommended at all
times? If you think it may be relevant in two or more groups, then
submit individual posts in those groups. Multiple crosss-posting just
makes for one BIG UGLY MESS!!!

GaryG wrote:
> Win 7 Pro on a new HP i7 PC with 9GB ram. All MS and HP updates installed
>
> 64 bit IE8 works perfect. Only 32 bit version has this problem.
>
> Can not right click and "Open in new window"
> Can not right click and "open in new tab"
> Links that open in a new tab just sit there saying "Connecting"
> Links that open in a new window do nothing. (Like new question window in here)
>
> I have reset all defaults in internet, Intranet, and Trusted Zones.
> I have cleared all temp and cache files
> I have reset advanced settings
> I have uninstalled and reinstalled IE8
> I have regsvr32 some specific dll files as suggested in other MS forums
> NOTHING WORKS TO FIX THIS.
>
> Technet doesn't have any answers but searching the web does find this error
> reported frequently. None with any solutions
>
> IE32 bit did work initially. With so many updates I can't pinpoint when it
> stopped doing so.
>
> I have spent too much time personalizing everything and adding programs to
> restart with a clean install. All mainstream like Quickbooks 2010 etc. Not
> sure that some would even let me reregister if I did a clean reinstall of
> Win7..
>
> As a side note, IE8 running in XP Mode virtual machine also runs perfect.

Jeff Gaines

Re: Can't open new window or tab in IE8 32 bit?
On 25/11/2009 in message <e9zfcLgbKHA.5472@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl> Bobby
Johnson wrote:

>Is this another example of "Shotgun Effect" posting? Is there something
>wrong with only posting in one forum as is strongly recommended at all
>times? If you think it may be relevant in two or more groups, then submit
>individual posts in those groups. Multiple crosss-posting just makes for
>one BIG UGLY MESS!!!

It is quite extensively cross posted but your advice is completely
incorrect.

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
This is as bad as it can get, but don't bet on it
Bob

Re: Can't open new window or tab in IE8 32 bit?
http://groups.google.com/support/bin...n&answer=46492

"don't post to each group separately. Instead, specify all the groups on a
single copy of the message. This reduces network overhead and lets people
who subscribe to more than one group see the message once instead of having
to wade through each copy"

On 26/11/2009 in message <eSH#FZkbKHA.2572@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl> Bob wrote:

>http://groups.google.com/support/bin...n&answer=46492
>
>"don't post to each group separately. Instead, specify all the groups on a
>single copy of the message. This reduces network overhead and lets people
>who subscribe to more than one group see the message once instead of
>having to wade through each copy"

I had an email from Bobby in response to my post, unfortunately from an
un-routable email address so I couldn't reply. I suspect he is confusing
cross-posting and multi-posting but we may never know :-)

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
If it's not broken, mess around with it until it is