Hanging on trying to get into Microsoft.com

LVTravel

Hanging on trying to get into Microsoft.com
Currently using new HP laptop, IE 7 on XP Pro machine (wireless) and 1 year
old Gateway desktop IE 8 on Vista Home premium (wireless), HP laptop IE 7 on
Vista Ultimate (wireless) and 5 year old Sony IE 6 on XP Home (wired)
machines. Only two of these machines are having issues on the various
networks I am using. All are fully updated and all are running the same
antivirus and firewall settings and versions. All machines have the same
security level settings and home page set.

The IE 7 XP Pro and the IE 8 Vista Home Premium are both "hanging" when I
type www.microsoft.com and hit the enter key. They may take as long as 2
minutes to enter MS's web site. If I hit the F5 (refresh) key they both
instantly go to the web site and open it anytime during the hang time. The
other machines go immediately to the site and open it without issues. I
have found that the XP Pro IE 7 machine even hangs when on a different
network wired through a Cat 5e cable.

These machines can be newly cold booted or running for a long time and the
issue still happens. I can have a lot of software running in the background
or nothing running. Full malware scans with Spybot... and Malwarebytes in
safe mode show nothing at all. Antivirus scans also show nothing at all.

The Gateway came originally with Vista and IE 7 but I upgraded to IE 8.
Have removed IE 8 and went back to IE 7 to see if the issue remained and it
did so I reinstalled IE 8.

This issue happens every time on both of these machines. All other web
sites come up in a normal manner, just MS's site. Does anyone have any
suggestions on the fix of this issue!

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: Hanging on trying to get into Microsoft.com
"LVTravel" <none@nothere.com> wrote in message news:%23MPKXhWaKHA.616@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> Currently using new HP laptop, IE 7 on XP Pro machine (wireless) and 1 year
> old Gateway desktop IE 8 on Vista Home premium (wireless), HP laptop IE 7 on
> Vista Ultimate (wireless) and 5 year old Sony IE 6 on XP Home (wired)
> machines. Only two of these machines are having issues on the various
> networks I am using. All are fully updated and all are running the same
> antivirus and firewall settings and versions. All machines have the same
> security level settings and home page set.
>

> The IE 7 XP Pro and the IE 8 Vista Home Premium are both "hanging" when I
> type www.microsoft.com and hit the enter key.

What happens if you use an existing full URL or Favorite for that site instead?
E.g. if you have AutoComplete for web addresses enabled, start typing
microso and then cursor down to the appropriate entry or if the appropriate
entry is already selected just hit Shift-Enter. Or type microsoft in full and
then press Ctrl-Enter. I.e., anything except the way you are entering so
that you are using a full URL from the start.

---

LVTravel

> "LVTravel" <none@nothere.com> wrote in message
>> Currently using new HP laptop, IE 7 on XP Pro machine (wireless) and 1
>> year
>> old Gateway desktop IE 8 on Vista Home premium (wireless), HP laptop IE 7
>> on
>> Vista Ultimate (wireless) and 5 year old Sony IE 6 on XP Home (wired)
>> machines. Only two of these machines are having issues on the various
>> networks I am using. All are fully updated and all are running the same
>> antivirus and firewall settings and versions. All machines have the same
>> security level settings and home page set.
>>

>> The IE 7 XP Pro and the IE 8 Vista Home Premium are both "hanging" when I
>> type www.microsoft.com and hit the enter key.

> What happens if you use an existing full URL or Favorite for that site
> instead?
> E.g. if you have AutoComplete for web addresses enabled, start typing
> microso and then cursor down to the appropriate entry or if the
> appropriate
> entry is already selected just hit Shift-Enter. Or type microsoft in full
> and
> then press Ctrl-Enter. I.e., anything except the way you are entering so
> that you are using a full URL from the start.
>

> ---

Even if I used a stored or a favorite to any Microsoft site the same occurs.
Prior to typing this I went to the URL dropdown on IE 8. Had
http://www.microsoft.com/ as one of the previously visited sites. It is
still hanging waiting for something. IE 8 shows the proper URL in the
address bar and also in the "tab" address bar. However there is no activity
on the window or status bar. This has now hung for 2 minutes. I tap the F5
key and the site opens immediately. Tried the auto-complete a few times by
down arrowing to some of the opened MS sites and it hung more times the
first time I clicked on them more than it opened the various sites. Second
times they opened immediately.

The favorite URL sites I tried tonight are:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/pr...754511033.aspx
http://support.microsoft.com/default...b/928218/en-us
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/836178/en-us

They hung the first time attempting to open the sites from the Favorites
menu. The second time I clicked on the favorite they opened OK.

Test machine tonight was the Gateway Vista Home Premium with it reverted
back to IE 7