IE8 not presenting web pages correctly

MickeP

IE8 not presenting web pages correctly
My IE8 won't show some web pages correctly, even with the Compatibility view
activated. Some pages I can't use to enter comments, or enter an ad to sell
stuff.
And what is more strange: In the window Add or remove programs the "Windows
Internet Explorer 8" is presented as seldomly used; in fact, last time used
says May 14, 2009, which is more than 6 months ago. I use it daily,
basically!
Has anyone any idea on this? Is there somewhere I can download an
installation file for the IE8 to re-install it? (When I try via the web, I
just get the remark that I already have it installed.)
Jim

Re: IE8 not presenting web pages correctly
It would help a lot if you would include the OS version and Service Pack
level because that might be significant.
"MickeP" <MickeP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My IE8 won't show some web pages correctly, even with the Compatibility
> view
> activated. Some pages I can't use to enter comments, or enter an ad to
> sell
> stuff.

Please give addresses for these problematical sites.
> And what is more strange: In the window Add or remove programs the
> "Windows
> Internet Explorer 8" is presented as seldomly used; in fact, last time
> used
> says May 14, 2009, which is more than 6 months ago. I use it daily,
> basically!

That data in the Add/Remove panel seems incorrect for more than just IE on
my systems.
> Has anyone any idea on this? Is there somewhere I can download an
> installation file for the IE8 to re-install it? (When I try via the web, I
> just get the remark that I already have it installed.)

MS Update is the only place to get reliable downloads for MS software.
Jim

Jeff Strickland

Re: IE8 not presenting web pages correctly
It could just be that you're using 64-bit IE8. If so, you should have two
icons or Programs (Start>All Programs> ... ) for IE, one of them will say
specifically that it's for 64-bit.

What you have run into is a technology thing where the technology has
outpaced the web developement. Some pages use Flash, which does not work
with 64-bit environments yet.