I'm having a problem saving password/username in Internet Explorer 8

Albert

I'm having a problem saving password/username in Internet Explorer 8
Hi all,

I'm having a problem saving password/username in Internet Explorer 8.
I've gone into "Tools", "Internet options","Content" and under "Auto
Complete" everything is checked off as they should be in boxes
username and password. But it will not save the user name or the
password when I go into that particular webpage.

Albert
amlazon@Hotmail.com
(use s instead of z
to e-mail me)
Jeff Strickland

Re: I'm having a problem saving password/username in Internet Explorer 8

"Albert" <amlazon@Hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I'm having a problem saving password/username in Internet Explorer 8.
> I've gone into "Tools", "Internet options","Content" and under "Auto
> Complete" everything is checked off as they should be in boxes
> username and password. But it will not save the user name or the
> password when I go into that particular webpage.
>
> Albert
> amlazon@Hotmail.com
> (use s instead of z
> to e-mail me)

The Website you are visiting -- your bank, for example -- will not allow
autocomplete to fill in stuff that might allow somebody that is not you who
is using your machine to log into your accounts and see what you have, and
transfer it to themselves.

Some sites don't care about your security, but some do. You should be happy
that places you visit try to protect you.

Albert

Re: I'm having a problem saving password/username in Internet Explorer 8
On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 08:31:01 -0800, "Jeff Strickland"
<crwlrjeff@yahoo.com> wrote:

>"Albert" <amlazon@Hotmail.com> wrote in message
>news:inrag5pn5ocl708ceja31mdbc5tv8egm4q@4ax.com.. .
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm having a problem saving password/username in Internet Explorer 8.
>> I've gone into "Tools", "Internet options","Content" and under "Auto
>> Complete" everything is checked off as they should be in boxes
>> username and password. But it will not save the user name or the
>> password when I go into that particular webpage.
>>
>> Albert
>> amlazon@Hotmail.com
>> (use s instead of z
>> to e-mail me)

>The Website you are visiting -- your bank, for example -- will not allow
>autocomplete to fill in stuff that might allow somebody that is not you who
>is using your machine to log into your accounts and see what you have, and
>transfer it to themselves.
>
>Some sites don't care about your security, but some do. You should be happy
>that places you visit try to protect you.

Jeff,

The website in question (a prescription drug plan webpage) has been
revised since the last time I went into it so as you say apparently
they have set it up where I cannot do as I have done in the past. As
long as I know that it's no big deal. I did notice that there is a
locked padlock icon just before the "Refinish" icon that some of the
other webpages do not have. When you click on it it has something to
do with "Certificates".

Thank you for the prompt reply. I can live with it as long as I know
what to expect.
Again thanks,

Albert
Robert Aldwinckle

"Albert" <amlazon@Hotmail.com> wrote in message news:31tag59t38aqjb8uk0om5msehrnho6mr72@4ax.com...

> The website in question (a prescription drug plan webpage) has been
> revised since the last time I went into it so as you say apparently
> they have set it up where I cannot do as I have done in the past.

Does that mean there used to be checkboxes in the dialog
e.g for requesting user and password be preserved
and now there aren't? E.g. consider the dialog that most Live ID
prompts now have in them.

> As long as I know that it's no big deal. I did notice that there is a
> locked padlock icon just before the "Refinish" icon that some of the
> other webpages do not have. When you click on it it has something to
> do with "Certificates".

Some pages use a password and they aren't even encrypted
e.g. using HTTPS. Then the authentication may be saved in a Cookie
and sent in as clear text request as Cookie data. Could that have been
your case before? <eg>

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---

VanguardLH

Albert wrote:

> The website in question (a prescription drug plan webpage) has been
> revised since the last time I went into it so as you say apparently
> they have set it up where I cannot do as I have done in the past. As
> long as I know that it's no big deal. I did notice that there is a
> locked padlock icon just before the "Refinish" icon that some of the
> other webpages do not have. When you click on it it has something to
> do with "Certificates".

Any site whether for HTTP or HTTPS can use the "AUTOCOMPLETE=OFF"
attribute on an object in their HTML code to specify that the web
browser should not cache any data entered for that object, like the
<INPUT> tag for a field where you enter your login credentials. See
http://www.htmlcodetutorial.com/form...OCOMPLETE.html. This
has been available since IE5 (support.microsoft.com/?kbid=290641).

The HTML code in a web page via the HttpCacheability enumeration can
also specify where the response data gets cached.
(http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...heability.aspx)

You might have to look at an auto-filler utility (as an add-on to IE)
that will record your logon credentials and then automatically fill them
into the login fields when that web page is revisited. I tried several
but they were adware or crippleware (to lure you into buying their full
product), and all too often they wouldn't recognize similar login pages
so you had multiple recordings for login credentials at the same site
(for example, a forum with login fields when displaying a thread would
have different page content for every separate thread which means you'd
never be able to record the login record for all those pages). I did
use the auto-logon feature in IE7Pro when I used IE7 but that add-on is
far too flaky, too many features are unusable, or it crashes (and takes
IE with it) when used with IE8 so I had to abandon using it. They no
longer moderate their forums so they've become polluted and unusable due
to getting deluged with spam posts.
Albert

On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 13:40:53 -0600, VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote:

>Albert wrote:
>
>> The website in question (a prescription drug plan webpage) has been
>> revised since the last time I went into it so as you say apparently
>> they have set it up where I cannot do as I have done in the past. As
>> long as I know that it's no big deal. I did notice that there is a
>> locked padlock icon just before the "Refinish" icon that some of the
>> other webpages do not have. When you click on it it has something to
>> do with "Certificates".

>Any site whether for HTTP or HTTPS can use the "AUTOCOMPLETE=OFF"
>attribute on an object in their HTML code to specify that the web
>browser should not cache any data entered for that object, like the
><INPUT> tag for a field where you enter your login credentials. See
>http://www.htmlcodetutorial.com/form...OCOMPLETE.html. This
>has been available since IE5 (support.microsoft.com/?kbid=290641).
>
>The HTML code in a web page via the HttpCacheability enumeration can
>also specify where the response data gets cached.
>(http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...heability.aspx)
>
>You might have to look at an auto-filler utility (as an add-on to IE)
>that will record your logon credentials and then automatically fill them
>into the login fields when that web page is revisited. I tried several
>but they were adware or crippleware (to lure you into buying their full
>product), and all too often they wouldn't recognize similar login pages
>so you had multiple recordings for login credentials at the same site
>(for example, a forum with login fields when displaying a thread would
>have different page content for every separate thread which means you'd
>never be able to record the login record for all those pages). I did
>use the auto-logon feature in IE7Pro when I used IE7 but that add-on is
>far too flaky, too many features are unusable, or it crashes (and takes
>IE with it) when used with IE8 so I had to abandon using it. They no
>longer moderate their forums so they've become polluted and unusable due
>to getting deluged with spam posts.

Well, I went back to square one. The bookmark that I was using was an
old sign in page and apparently under the new system you have to go in
to homepage and in the lower left-hand corner there is a sign inbox
(username/password).

So I deleted the old bookmark went into the home page and set up the
username/password and when Windows asked if I wanted to auto complete
I said "yes". And everything worked okay. The old homepage did not
have a sign in box on it and you had to click on "sign in" and it
would go to the second page to do your signing in and I guess that was
the problem all along. It was not with IE 8.

Albert
VanguardLH

Albert wrote:

> On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 13:40:53 -0600, VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote:
>
>>Albert wrote:
>>
>>> The website in question (a prescription drug plan webpage) has been
>>> revised since the last time I went into it so as you say apparently
>>> they have set it up where I cannot do as I have done in the past. As
>>> long as I know that it's no big deal. I did notice that there is a
>>> locked padlock icon just before the "Refinish" icon that some of the
>>> other webpages do not have. When you click on it it has something to
>>> do with "Certificates".

>>Any site whether for HTTP or HTTPS can use the "AUTOCOMPLETE=OFF"
>>attribute on an object in their HTML code to specify that the web
>>browser should not cache any data entered for that object, like the
>><INPUT> tag for a field where you enter your login credentials. See
>>http://www.htmlcodetutorial.com/form...OCOMPLETE.html. This
>>has been available since IE5 (support.microsoft.com/?kbid=290641).
>>
>>The HTML code in a web page via the HttpCacheability enumeration can
>>also specify where the response data gets cached.
>>(http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...heability.aspx)
>>
>>You might have to look at an auto-filler utility (as an add-on to IE)
>>that will record your logon credentials and then automatically fill them
>>into the login fields when that web page is revisited. I tried several
>>but they were adware or crippleware (to lure you into buying their full
>>product), and all too often they wouldn't recognize similar login pages
>>so you had multiple recordings for login credentials at the same site
>>(for example, a forum with login fields when displaying a thread would
>>have different page content for every separate thread which means you'd
>>never be able to record the login record for all those pages). I did
>>use the auto-logon feature in IE7Pro when I used IE7 but that add-on is
>>far too flaky, too many features are unusable, or it crashes (and takes
>>IE with it) when used with IE8 so I had to abandon using it. They no
>>longer moderate their forums so they've become polluted and unusable due
>>to getting deluged with spam posts.

> Well, I went back to square one. The bookmark that I was using was an
> old sign in page and apparently under the new system you have to go in
> to homepage and in the lower left-hand corner there is a sign inbox
> (username/password).
>
> So I deleted the old bookmark went into the home page and set up the
> username/password and when Windows asked if I wanted to auto complete
> I said "yes". And everything worked okay. The old homepage did not
> have a sign in box on it and you had to click on "sign in" and it
> would go to the second page to do your signing in and I guess that was
> the problem all along. It was not with IE 8.
>
> Albert

"I know engineers. They l-o-v-e to change things."
(Bones in a Star Trek episode)