Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Java 6, Update 17

microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 11-19-2009
cranheim
 

Posts: n/a
Java 6, Update 17
I am running Windows XP Home edition SP3, and IE 8.0. I have been getting a
notice from the task bar saying a Java 6, Update 17 is ready to install from
Sun. I looked in "Add Remove" and it shows I have Jese Runtime Environment
5.0. Is this an update to that? What is this software used for? It also said
this update was for "Windows - Internet Explorer". I have found going to IE8
from IE6 was a good move. I don't want to install something that will cause
a problem with what I feel is a stable working PC. Please forgive my
ignorance about this, and give me any suggestions as to the risk in
installing this update. Thanks, Charles Ranheim


Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 11-19-2009
C A Upsdell
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Java 6, Update 17
cranheim wrote:
> I am running Windows XP Home edition SP3, and IE 8.0. I have been getting a
> notice from the task bar saying a Java 6, Update 17 is ready to install from
> Sun. I looked in "Add Remove" and it shows I have Jese Runtime Environment
> 5.0. Is this an update to that? What is this software used for? It also said
> this update was for "Windows - Internet Explorer". I have found going to IE8
> from IE6 was a good move. I don't want to install something that will cause
> a problem with what I feel is a stable working PC. Please forgive my
> ignorance about this, and give me any suggestions as to the risk in
> installing this update. Thanks, Charles Ranheim


Java is a programming language used by some websites.

Java 5 is an older version, and lacks some features offered by Java 6,
so it is possible that some sites will not work with your current
version of Java.

The latest version of Java 5 is version 5 update 22: if you use Java 5,
that is the version you should be using, since older versions of Java 5
have bugs and security defects. If you continue to use Java 5, you
should continue to get Java 5 updates as they appear.

You can install Java 6 update 17. This will likely NOT uninstall the
Java 5 you have now: multiple versions of Java can be installed on a
PC; but this can result in many versions being installed, most of which
you do not really need. So if you use a page which requires Java 5, and
you have installed Java 6, that page can still use Java 5.

My recommendation would be to install the latest version of Java 6, and
to uninstall any older versions. If you find that a page does not work
with Java 6, you can always re-install Java 5, without uninstalling Java 6.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 11-19-2009
Leonard Grey
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Java 6, Update 17
Earlier versions of Sun's Java could not be updated in-place, i.e., you
had to uninstall the previous version first. I don't recall now when
that changed - maybe with v.6-10 - but going forward you simply update
Java to the latest version.

There's no harm in leaving v.5 on your computer, AFAIK, but if you want
to make a clean sweep, uninstall the most recent version of Java on your
computer, restart, then the next most recent version, restart...until
you have nothing left. Now install v.6-17 and going forward you can just
update when prompted.

Caveat: Java installers often 'offer' to install other software, like
toolbars. Always pay attention.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

cranheim wrote:
> I am running Windows XP Home edition SP3, and IE 8.0. I have been getting a
> notice from the task bar saying a Java 6, Update 17 is ready to install from
> Sun. I looked in "Add Remove" and it shows I have Jese Runtime Environment
> 5.0. Is this an update to that? What is this software used for? It also said
> this update was for "Windows - Internet Explorer". I have found going to IE8
> from IE6 was a good move. I don't want to install something that will cause
> a problem with what I feel is a stable working PC. Please forgive my
> ignorance about this, and give me any suggestions as to the risk in
> installing this update. Thanks, Charles Ranheim
>
>

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 11-19-2009
PA Bear [MS MVP]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Java 6, Update 17
See http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=42611
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Client - since 2002
www.banthecheck.com


cranheim wrote:
> I am running Windows XP Home edition SP3, and IE 8.0. I have been getting
> a
> notice from the task bar saying a Java 6, Update 17 is ready to install
> from
> Sun. I looked in "Add Remove" and it shows I have Jese Runtime Environment
> 5.0. Is this an update to that? What is this software used for? It also
> said
> this update was for "Windows - Internet Explorer". I have found going to
> IE8
> from IE6 was a good move. I don't want to install something that will
> cause
> a problem with what I feel is a stable working PC. Please forgive my
> ignorance about this, and give me any suggestions as to the risk in
> installing this update. Thanks, Charles Ranheim


Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 11-19-2009
cranheim
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Java 6, Update 17
PA Bear,
Just to verify I am good to go using the Manual Update Method, I now
have J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 listed in Add/Delete. On C: drive I have
c:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0. If this looks like a good starting point, I
will use the manual update method you suggested. Thanks for the help.
Charles Ranheim


"PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:upeCUQUaKHA.4688@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> See http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=42611
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Client - since 2002
> www.banthecheck.com
>
>
> cranheim wrote:
>> I am running Windows XP Home edition SP3, and IE 8.0. I have been getting
>> a
>> notice from the task bar saying a Java 6, Update 17 is ready to install
>> from
>> Sun. I looked in "Add Remove" and it shows I have Jese Runtime
>> Environment
>> 5.0. Is this an update to that? What is this software used for? It also
>> said
>> this update was for "Windows - Internet Explorer". I have found going to
>> IE8
>> from IE6 was a good move. I don't want to install something that will
>> cause
>> a problem with what I feel is a stable working PC. Please forgive my
>> ignorance about this, and give me any suggestions as to the risk in
>> installing this update. Thanks, Charles Ranheim

>



Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 11-20-2009
cranheim
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Java 6, Update 17
PA Bear,
As a final update, I updated my Java using the instructions you
suggested. Everything went OK. I just wanted to report back on this problem,
and thank you for your assistance. Charles Ranheim


"cranheim" <caranheim@sbcglobal.net.net> wrote in message
news:OiUjgfVaKHA.3992@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> PA Bear,
> Just to verify I am good to go using the Manual Update Method, I now
> have J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 listed in Add/Delete. On C: drive I have
> c:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0. If this looks like a good starting point,
> I will use the manual update method you suggested. Thanks for the help.
> Charles Ranheim
>
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:upeCUQUaKHA.4688@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
>> See http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=42611
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Client - since 2002
>> www.banthecheck.com
>>
>>
>> cranheim wrote:
>>> I am running Windows XP Home edition SP3, and IE 8.0. I have been
>>> getting a
>>> notice from the task bar saying a Java 6, Update 17 is ready to install
>>> from
>>> Sun. I looked in "Add Remove" and it shows I have Jese Runtime
>>> Environment
>>> 5.0. Is this an update to that? What is this software used for? It also
>>> said
>>> this update was for "Windows - Internet Explorer". I have found going to
>>> IE8
>>> from IE6 was a good move. I don't want to install something that will
>>> cause
>>> a problem with what I feel is a stable working PC. Please forgive my
>>> ignorance about this, and give me any suggestions as to the risk in
>>> installing this update. Thanks, Charles Ranheim

>>

>
>



Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 11-20-2009
PA Bear [MS MVP]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Java 6, Update 17
YW. Just make sure all the old versions are gone.

cranheim wrote:
> PA Bear,
> As a final update, I updated my Java using the instructions you
> suggested. Everything went OK. I just wanted to report back on this
> problem,
> and thank you for your assistance. Charles Ranheim
>
>
> "cranheim" <caranheim@sbcglobal.net.net> wrote in message
> news:OiUjgfVaKHA.3992@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>> PA Bear,
>> Just to verify I am good to go using the Manual Update Method, I now
>> have J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 listed in Add/Delete. On C: drive I
>> have
>> c:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0. If this looks like a good starting point,
>> I will use the manual update method you suggested. Thanks for the help.
>> Charles Ranheim
>>
>>
>> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> news:upeCUQUaKHA.4688@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
>>> See http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=42611
>>> --
>>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>>> MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Client - since 2002
>>> www.banthecheck.com
>>>
>>>
>>> cranheim wrote:
>>>> I am running Windows XP Home edition SP3, and IE 8.0. I have been
>>>> getting a
>>>> notice from the task bar saying a Java 6, Update 17 is ready to install
>>>> from
>>>> Sun. I looked in "Add Remove" and it shows I have Jese Runtime
>>>> Environment
>>>> 5.0. Is this an update to that? What is this software used for? It also
>>>> said
>>>> this update was for "Windows - Internet Explorer". I have found going
>>>> to
>>>> IE8
>>>> from IE6 was a good move. I don't want to install something that will
>>>> cause
>>>> a problem with what I feel is a stable working PC. Please forgive my
>>>> ignorance about this, and give me any suggestions as to the risk in
>>>> installing this update. Thanks, Charles Ranheim


Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 11-20-2009
cranheim
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Java 6, Update 17
I followed the instructions and removed the older program using Add/Delete.
I then followed the instructions and had to remove one folder in Java. The
rest looked OK. If the instructions were complete, I should be OK. Thanks
again, Charles Ranheim


"PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:eu91U4aaKHA.4932@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
> YW. Just make sure all the old versions are gone.
>
> cranheim wrote:
>> PA Bear,
>> As a final update, I updated my Java using the instructions you
>> suggested. Everything went OK. I just wanted to report back on this
>> problem,
>> and thank you for your assistance. Charles Ranheim
>>
>>
>> "cranheim" <caranheim@sbcglobal.net.net> wrote in message
>> news:OiUjgfVaKHA.3992@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>>> PA Bear,
>>> Just to verify I am good to go using the Manual Update Method, I now
>>> have J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 listed in Add/Delete. On C: drive I
>>> have
>>> c:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0. If this looks like a good starting
>>> point,
>>> I will use the manual update method you suggested. Thanks for the help.
>>> Charles Ranheim
>>>
>>>
>>> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> news:upeCUQUaKHA.4688@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
>>>> See http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=42611
>>>> --
>>>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>>>> MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Client - since 2002
>>>> www.banthecheck.com
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> cranheim wrote:
>>>>> I am running Windows XP Home edition SP3, and IE 8.0. I have been
>>>>> getting a
>>>>> notice from the task bar saying a Java 6, Update 17 is ready to
>>>>> install
>>>>> from
>>>>> Sun. I looked in "Add Remove" and it shows I have Jese Runtime
>>>>> Environment
>>>>> 5.0. Is this an update to that? What is this software used for? It
>>>>> also
>>>>> said
>>>>> this update was for "Windows - Internet Explorer". I have found going
>>>>> to
>>>>> IE8
>>>>> from IE6 was a good move. I don't want to install something that will
>>>>> cause
>>>>> a problem with what I feel is a stable working PC. Please forgive my
>>>>> ignorance about this, and give me any suggestions as to the risk in
>>>>> installing this update. Thanks, Charles Ranheim

>



Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 11-20-2009
cranheim
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Java 6, Update 17
I may have spoken too soon when I said everything seems to be working OK. I
found I can no longer get to a web site. The error is: HTML Parsing Error:
Unable to modify the parent container element before the child element is
closed (KB927917). From what I read, it sounds like IE8 should not have this
problem. The failing URL is
http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/...st?query=06033. Did
the update to Java cause this problem, or did something back at the website
go wrong? Charles Ranheim


"cranheim" <caranheim@sbcglobal.net.net> wrote in message
news:uBRTs9faKHA.544@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
>I followed the instructions and removed the older program using Add/Delete.
>I then followed the instructions and had to remove one folder in Java. The
>rest looked OK. If the instructions were complete, I should be OK. Thanks
>again, Charles Ranheim
>
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:eu91U4aaKHA.4932@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>> YW. Just make sure all the old versions are gone.
>>
>> cranheim wrote:
>>> PA Bear,
>>> As a final update, I updated my Java using the instructions you
>>> suggested. Everything went OK. I just wanted to report back on this
>>> problem,
>>> and thank you for your assistance. Charles Ranheim
>>>
>>>
>>> "cranheim" <caranheim@sbcglobal.net.net> wrote in message
>>> news:OiUjgfVaKHA.3992@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>>>> PA Bear,
>>>> Just to verify I am good to go using the Manual Update Method, I now
>>>> have J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 listed in Add/Delete. On C: drive I
>>>> have
>>>> c:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0. If this looks like a good starting
>>>> point,
>>>> I will use the manual update method you suggested. Thanks for the help.
>>>> Charles Ranheim
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>>> news:upeCUQUaKHA.4688@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
>>>>> See http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=42611
>>>>> --
>>>>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>>>>> MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Client - since 2002
>>>>> www.banthecheck.com
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> cranheim wrote:
>>>>>> I am running Windows XP Home edition SP3, and IE 8.0. I have been
>>>>>> getting a
>>>>>> notice from the task bar saying a Java 6, Update 17 is ready to
>>>>>> install
>>>>>> from
>>>>>> Sun. I looked in "Add Remove" and it shows I have Jese Runtime
>>>>>> Environment
>>>>>> 5.0. Is this an update to that? What is this software used for? It
>>>>>> also
>>>>>> said
>>>>>> this update was for "Windows - Internet Explorer". I have found going
>>>>>> to
>>>>>> IE8
>>>>>> from IE6 was a good move. I don't want to install something that will
>>>>>> cause
>>>>>> a problem with what I feel is a stable working PC. Please forgive my
>>>>>> ignorance about this, and give me any suggestions as to the risk in
>>>>>> installing this update. Thanks, Charles Ranheim

>>

>
>



Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 11-21-2009
Robert Aldwinckle
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Java 6, Update 17

"cranheim" <caranheim@sbcglobal.net.net> wrote in message news:O0jDedgaKHA.428@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
>I may have spoken too soon when I said everything seems to be working OK. I
> found I can no longer get to a web site. The error is: HTML Parsing Error:
> Unable to modify the parent container element before the child element is
> closed (KB927917). From what I read, it sounds like IE8 should not have this
> problem. The failing URL is
> http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/...st?query=06033.



Try using the query on that page again?

http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/...st?query=06033

What's the difference between hdf and get I wonder? ; )

And where's the Java applet? All I see is some Flash ads.


HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---


> Did
> the update to Java cause this problem, or did something back at the website
> go wrong? Charles Ranheim



Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sun Java v6 Update 12 JimBob microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general 4 02-22-2009 20:41
Sun Java 6.0 Update 11 is now available, (Wed, Dec 3rd) Steve Security News 0 12-03-2008 08:40
Java JRE update 7 timb microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general 16 08-29-2008 00:27
Java 6 Update 7 Lisa microsoft.public.windows.vista.music pictures video 2 08-14-2008 01:53
Java Update, (Wed, Jul 9th) Steve Security News 0 07-10-2008 04:00




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:04.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120