internet xplorer 64-bit

shami

internet xplorer 64-bit
I have just setup my new pc with windows 7 and when i looked at all
programmes i noticed that there was internet expolrer & internet explorer 64-
bit icons , whats the difference ?
Dan

Re: internet xplorer 64-bit

"shami" <shami@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have just setup my new pc with windows 7 and when i looked at all
> programmes i noticed that there was internet expolrer & internet explorer
> 64-
> bit icons , whats the difference ?

One is 64-bit, the other is 32-bit. If you want to visit sites that use
plugins, for instance Java or Flash, stick to the 32-bit version as there
are no 64-bit versions of these yet.

--
Dan

Helroy

Re: internet xplorer 64-bit

"Dan" <news@worldofspack.com> wrote in message

> "shami" <shami@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> I have just setup my new pc with windows 7 and when i looked at all
>> programmes i noticed that there was internet expolrer & internet explorer
>> 64-
>> bit icons , whats the difference ?

> One is 64-bit, the other is 32-bit. If you want to visit sites that use
> plugins, for instance Java or Flash, stick to the 32-bit version as there
> are no 64-bit versions of these yet.
>
> --
> Dan

No flash 64bit yet but there ia a 64bit java.

http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

--
Helroy
=====

Jeff Strickland

Re: internet xplorer 64-bit

"shami" <shami@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have just setup my new pc with windows 7 and when i looked at all
> programmes i noticed that there was internet expolrer & internet explorer
> 64-
> bit icons , whats the difference ?

Some Websites do not display in 64-bit. Most do, but a few do not. Sad but
true. Technology has outstripped Web development.

Dan

Re: internet xplorer 64-bit

"Helroy" <invalid@127.0.0.1> wrote in message

> "Dan" <news@worldofspack.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "shami" <shami@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> I have just setup my new pc with windows 7 and when i looked at all
>>> programmes i noticed that there was internet expolrer & internet
>>> explorer 64-
>>> bit icons , whats the difference ?

>> One is 64-bit, the other is 32-bit. If you want to visit sites that use
>> plugins, for instance Java or Flash, stick to the 32-bit version as there
>> are no 64-bit versions of these yet.
>>
>> --
>> Dan

> No flash 64bit yet but there ia a 64bit java.
>
> http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

Fair enough, I'd missed that. It's rare I see sites using Java nowadays so I
hardly ever have to look at the Java site for updates.

--
Dan

Leonard Grey

Re: internet xplorer 64-bit
"Some Websites do not display in 64-bit."

That's not /quite/ correct...but it's very close. Markup like HTML
doesn't know or care how many bits you have. Scripting like Java or
Flash that is part of a web page has to be compatible with the bit-nes
of the host. Java works fine in 64-bit IE, but Flash does not,
astonishingly enough. At least, not yet.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

Jeff Strickland wrote:
> "shami" <shami@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> I have just setup my new pc with windows 7 and when i looked at all
>> programmes i noticed that there was internet expolrer & internet explorer
>> 64-
>> bit icons , whats the difference ?

> Some Websites do not display in 64-bit. Most do, but a few do not. Sad but
> true. Technology has outstripped Web development.

Re: internet xplorer 64-bit
See
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...sked-questions

1. IE 64-bit is the default.

2. There is not a 64-bit version of Flash Player; any page with Flash
content should open in IE 32-bit.

May I ask why you chose to install Win7 64-bit?
www.banthecheck.com

shami wrote:
> I have just setup my new pc with windows 7 and when i looked at all
> programmes i noticed that there was internet expolrer & internet explorer
> 64- bit icons , whats the difference ?

Jeff Strickland

Re: internet xplorer 64-bit
Some Websites contain content that does not display in 64-bit.

Better?

> "Some Websites do not display in 64-bit."
>
> That's not /quite/ correct...but it's very close. Markup like HTML doesn't
> know or care how many bits you have. Scripting like Java or Flash that is
> part of a web page has to be compatible with the bit-nes of the host. Java
> works fine in 64-bit IE, but Flash does not, astonishingly enough. At
> least, not yet.
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare humanum est
>
> Jeff Strickland wrote:
>> "shami" <shami@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> I have just setup my new pc with windows 7 and when i looked at all
>>> programmes i noticed that there was internet expolrer & internet
>>> explorer 64-
>>> bit icons , whats the difference ?

>> Some Websites do not display in 64-bit. Most do, but a few do not. Sad
>> but true. Technology has outstripped Web development.

CSharpner

Re: internet xplorer 64-bit
On Nov 19, 4:31*am, shami <sh...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> I have just setup my new pc with windows 7 and when i looked at all
> programmes i noticed that there was internet expolrer & internet explorer64-
> bit icons , whats the difference ?

Here's an explanation of the differences between 32bit and 64bit, but
it's not specific to IE:

http://csharpner.blogspot.com/2009/1...s-it-mean.html

64bit apps might run /imperceptibly/ faster than 32bit apps (though,
in some circumstances, could run slightly slower), but the main
difference that the common user would be concerned with is 32bit code
is incapable of accessing more than 4GB of RAM /directly/. 64bit code
can access an almost unimaginable amount of RAM (4.2 billion times 4.2
billion bytes). Though, 2 individual 32bit apps can access two
separate chunks of 4.2GB of RAM at the same time, neither can access
more by themselves. With today's web apps, you're extremely unlikely
to see your browser get anywhere near 4.2GB of usage, and if you do,
it's probably because of a severe memory leak and you probably need to
kill the browser and restart.

In most cases, if you have a 64bit version of a program, use it. IE8
is a rare exception, because of the plugins. The plugin providers are
waaaaaay behind the times (even Microsoft's own plugins haven't gone
64bit yet with SilverLight, for an example). Just use the 32bit
version of IE8 until Adobe and the rest eventually come out with 64bit
versions. You're not really missing anything with the 32bit version.

FireFox is still 32bit as well. Would be nice if everyone finally
come on board with 64bit.

HTH,
http://csharpner.blogspot.com