IE8 multiple Tabs, high CPU usage when closing

John P

IE8 multiple Tabs, high CPU usage when closing
Hi,

IE8 runs on a WinXP Home, pretty snappy system intel dual core, 3gb ram,
fast hdd.

Ever since the latest IE8 security KB update, whenever IE8 has multiple tabs
and it's being closed down, it just locks the whole desktop access for 7-10
seconds.
During this time, CPU is 100% in iertutil.dll with the following stack:

ntdll.dll!KiFastSystemCallRet
kernel32.dll!DeleteFileA+0x19
WININET.dll!InternetCrackUrlA+0xc5c
WININET.dll!InternetCrackUrlA+0xebd
WININET.dll!InternetCrackUrlA+0xcdc
WININET.dll!Ordinal103+0x2d39
WININET.dll!Ordinal103+0x351d
WININET.dll!Ordinal103+0x106a
WININET.dll!FreeUrlCacheSpaceA+0x2a
WININET.dll!FindFirstUrlCacheEntryExW+0x1270d
WININET.dll!InternetSetOptionW+0x83
IEFRAME.dll!Ordinal312+0x82cd
IEFRAME.dll!Ordinal320+0x700c
IEFRAME.dll!IEIsProtectedModeProcess+0x3246
IEFRAME.dll!IEIsProtectedModeProcess+0x3194
USER32.dll!GetDC+0x6d
USER32.dll!GetDC+0x14f
USER32.dll!DefWindowProcW+0x180
USER32.dll!DefWindowProcW+0x1cc
ntdll.dll!KiUserCallbackDispatcher+0x13
IEFRAME.dll!Ordinal320+0x2e50
IEFRAME.dll!Ordinal320+0x2a62
IEFRAME.dll!Ordinal170+0x46ec
iertutil.dll!Ordinal405+0x2c
kernel32.dll!GetModuleFileNameA+0x1ba

I've reinstalled IE8, deleted cookies and cache, ran spyware, avira and
combofix, but same thing.
Also, if I try to register iertutil.dll by " regsvr32.exe iertutil.dll "
I get the following message:

---------------------------
RegSvr32
---------------------------
iertutil.dll was loaded, but the DllRegisterServer entry point was not
found.

This file can not be registered.
---------------------------
OK
---------------------------

Appreciate any ideas,
Thanks, John P

Btw. While keeping cookies, favorites and auto-complete intact, reinstalling
IE8 (a 5-10 min task) results in a much faster browser, it handles web pages
much easier and even multiple tabs opened, anyone tried this out of the blue
or any reason why it behaves like that while keeping all the info that
possibly clogged it before?

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: IE8 multiple Tabs, high CPU usage when closing
"John P" <nospam@all.com> wrote in message news:OmwiXmMaKHA.196@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...

> Also, if I try to register iertutil.dll by " regsvr32.exe iertutil.dll "

IE seems to be going away from such repairs, instead going to
..msi based repairs such as you could get by using the Control Panel's
Add or Remove Programs applet's Set Program Access and Defaults
tool. See if re-registering IE as your default brower that way helps
at all. Also, since there are so many more security/obscurity impediments
these days it may help to use that tool when Run as Administrator.

However, although iertutil.dll evidently doesn't have a DllRegisterServer
entry point to use, wininet.dll still has a DllInstall you could try.
E.g. Run... (press Win-R and enter

regsvr32.exe /n /i wininet.dll

and ieframe.dll still has both entry points so you could also try:

regsvr32.exe /i ieframe.dll

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---

John P

Re: IE8 multiple Tabs, high CPU usage when closing
Thank you, Robert, for the great advice and info!

I've run
regsvr32.exe /n /i wininet.dll
successfully.
When trying to run
regsvr32.exe /i ieframe.dll
it shows another error:
---------------------------
RegSvr32
---------------------------
DllRegisterServer in ieframe.dll failed.
Return code was: 0x80004001
---------------------------

Another strange thing, looking at Process Explorer after re-registering IE8
as default browser and wininet.dll, iexplore.exe doesn't show up as multiple
instances when opening multiple tabs. Before, when more tabs were opened,
there were 5-6 iexplore.exe listed under the main iexplore.exe entry.

Even with that change, there was still a delay in iertutil.dll immediatelly
after shutting down IE8.
I've played with some settings and watched the results and the following
seems to do the trick or to cause of the problem since the latest KB
security update:

I had "Empty Temporary Internet Files folder when browser is closed"
checked. If I leave this unchecked there is no delay after closing IE8, I
have access to any icon on the desktop or Start button access, no more 5-10
second delay as before, even with 20 tabs opened at the time of closing IE8
down.

Ever since IE7 the empty TIF function was checked all the time and only
before the latest KB update it became a problem, at least on this system.
As a workaround, I've moved the TIF folder on a RAMdisk which is basically
automatically emptied everytime system is shut down so little chance of
cloggin down IE8's temporary folder.

Gonna try Empty TIF with next IE8 KB updates hope they'll fix it.

John P