Trying to create an RSS feed, but XML page doesn't format in IE

Steve Rosen

Trying to create an RSS feed, but XML page doesn't format in IE
I'm trying to learn how to create an RSS feed to distribute podcasts.

After encountering a problem, for testing purposes, I cut the entire source
code from http://www.democracynow.org/podcast.xml into a text file.

Here's the rub, underlying the problem I was experiencing with my earlier
attempt:

When http://www.democracynow.org/podcast.xml is displayed in the browser
by branching to it , it displays a nice, formatted display that is the
familiar 'feedy' looking page.

When 'same' code pasted into an empty text file is opened in IE, it
displays as raw xml. No feeds are recognized on the page, as indicated by
the 'dimmed' RSS feed button on the toolbar.

Can someone explain, please.

Re: Trying to create an RSS feed, but XML page doesn't format in IE
Try posting here instead:
http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/for...iedevelopment/

Learn IE8
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/aa740473.aspx
www.banthecheck.com

Steve Rosen wrote:
> I'm trying to learn how to create an RSS feed to distribute podcasts.
>
> After encountering a problem, for testing purposes, I cut the entire
> source
> code from http://www.democracynow.org/podcast.xml into a text file.
>
> Here's the rub, underlying the problem I was experiencing with my earlier
> attempt:
>
> When http://www.democracynow.org/podcast.xml is displayed in the
> browser
> by branching to it , it displays a nice, formatted display that is the
> familiar 'feedy' looking page.
>
> When 'same' code pasted into an empty text file is opened in IE, it
> displays as raw xml. No feeds are recognized on the page, as indicated by
> the 'dimmed' RSS feed button on the toolbar.
>
> Can someone explain, please.

Dan

"Steve Rosen" <steverosen13@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm trying to learn how to create an RSS feed to distribute podcasts.
>
> After encountering a problem, for testing purposes, I cut the entire
> source code from http://www.democracynow.org/podcast.xml into a text file.
>
> Here's the rub, underlying the problem I was experiencing with my earlier
> attempt:
>
> When http://www.democracynow.org/podcast.xml is displayed in the
> browser by branching to it , it displays a nice, formatted display that is
> the familiar 'feedy' looking page.
>
> When 'same' code pasted into an empty text file is opened in IE, it
> displays as raw xml. No feeds are recognized on the page, as indicated by
> the 'dimmed' RSS feed button on the toolbar.
>
> Can someone explain, please.

The RSS feed button is dimmed when viewing an XML file anyway - check your
first link, you'll see it's the same. The RSS button is only activated when
you are viewing a HTML/XHTML page that contains one or more <link
rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" ...> tags that reference an RSS
feed URL.

As to the formatting when viewing as a local file, that's by design I'm
afraid. As the file does not have a Content-Type header defining it as MIME
type application/rss+xml, IE8 assumes that it's just "plain" XML and doesn't
parse it as RSS feed content.

--
Dan