Why can't I post text into a new tab in IE and use it like Notepad

Matthew Sickinson

Why can't I post text into a new tab in IE and use it like Notepad
I think if I paste some text I have copied into a blank (or even a non-blank)
IE tab it should suddenly change that tab into Notepad.exe and paste the text
there as if I did paste it into Notepad.exe and then the file menu would
change a little bit so I can do something like "save as," even though I can
already do that with IE's file menu.

Why can't I do that?

I mean I know it's a web browser, but you used to be able to use the IE
address bar to access contents on your own hard drive, which never made any
sense, but that's fine. I think it was a good idea. I like tying things
together and don't understand the strictness of keeping programs so separate
and apart from each other.

--
I think I''''m loving my new name Matthew Sickinson!
Dan

Re: Why can't I post text into a new tab in IE and use it like Notepad

"Matthew Sickinson" <matthew****inson10@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I think if I paste some text I have copied into a blank (or even a
> non-blank)
> IE tab it should suddenly change that tab into Notepad.exe and paste the
> text
> there as if I did paste it into Notepad.exe and then the file menu would
> change a little bit so I can do something like "save as," even though I
> can
> already do that with IE's file menu.
>
> Why can't I do that?

Because it's a web browser, not a text editor, which you already know.

> I mean I know it's a web browser, but you used to be able to use the IE
> address bar to access contents on your own hard drive, which never made
> any
> sense, but that's fine. I think it was a good idea. I like tying things
> together and don't understand the strictness of keeping programs so
> separate
> and apart from each other.

Local files are simply another type of URI, so it makes sense that you can
browse to them in IE. Any files you attempt to open will be handled in a
similar way to if you downloaded from the internet. But it's not relevant to
your first paragraph anyway, if you open a text file in IE from the address
bar does IE turn into a text editor? No.

Why don't you just keep Notepad open, and Alt+Tab to it to paste text? Or
use an MDI text editor if you want "tabs", I use EditPad Lite.

--
Dan

Re: Why can't I post text into a new tab in IE and use it like Notepad
Right on! I used to have a Dodge truck until I duct taped a GMC grill onto
'er.

Matthew Sickinson wrote:
> I think if I paste some text I have copied into a blank (or even a
> non-blank) IE tab it should suddenly change that tab into Notepad.exe and
> paste the text there as if I did paste it into Notepad.exe and then the
> file menu would change a little bit so I can do something like "save as,"
> even though I can already do that with IE's file menu.
>
> Why can't I do that?
>
> I mean I know it's a web browser, but you used to be able to use the IE
> address bar to access contents on your own hard drive, which never made
> any
> sense, but that's fine. I think it was a good idea. I like tying things
> together and don't understand the strictness of keeping programs so
> separate
> and apart from each other.

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: Why can't I post text into a new tab in IE and use it like Notepad

"Matthew Sickinson" <matthew****inson10@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:C7737E65-15FA-45EA-87D7-ED6C984E128D@microsoft.com...
>I think if I paste some text I have copied into a blank (or even a non-blank)
> IE tab it should suddenly change that tab into Notepad.exe and paste the text
> there as if I did paste it into Notepad.exe and then the file menu would
> change a little bit so I can do something like "save as," even though I can
> already do that with IE's file menu.
>

> Why can't I do that?

I agree. Create an .htm file with this in it.

<form>
<input
value="Overtype this."
/>
</form>

E.g. call it Notes.htm and add it as a button to your Favorites bar. ; )

We can type in there. It would be nice if Ctrl-s would update notes.htm
or at least that Alt-V,c (View Source) or Alt-F,A (File, Save As...)
would do something useful with our typing.

I can understand why Ctrl-s may not be allowed as a general case
but don't see why those other commands couldn't be more helpful
with this or any other examples of form input. E.g. otherwise as a
JIC measure before doing a Submit with some laboriously composed input
it's necessary to do at least a Ctrl-a, Ctrl-c to provide a copy available
for transcription should the submit fail for some reason.

Robert Aldwinckle
---

Leonard Grey

Re: Why can't I post text into a new tab in IE and use it like Notepad
[Pass the screenwipes, please.]
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
> Right on! I used to have a Dodge truck until I duct taped a GMC grill
> onto 'er.
>

> Matthew Sickinson wrote:
>> I think if I paste some text I have copied into a blank (or even a
>> non-blank) IE tab it should suddenly change that tab into Notepad.exe and
>> paste the text there as if I did paste it into Notepad.exe and then the
>> file menu would change a little bit so I can do something like "save as,"
>> even though I can already do that with IE's file menu.
>>
>> Why can't I do that?
>>
>> I mean I know it's a web browser, but you used to be able to use the IE
>> address bar to access contents on your own hard drive, which never
>> made any
>> sense, but that's fine. I think it was a good idea. I like tying things
>> together and don't understand the strictness of keeping programs so
>> separate
>> and apart from each other.

Bob

Re: Why can't I post text into a new tab in IE and use it like Notepad
Sticker Lite is sticky notes freeware for Windows

http://www.sticky-notes.net/