"Insert" Add in for IE8?

Gordon

"Insert" Add in for IE8?
Now MS seems to be moving to web-based forums for its peer-to-peer support,
does anyone know of an add-in for IE that will do the "Insert-text from
file" function so that boilerplate replies can be used in a web forum
environment?

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: "Insert" Add in for IE8?

"Gordon" <gordonbparker@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:OSyCRt8ZKHA.1596@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> Now MS seems to be moving to web-based forums for its peer-to-peer support,
> does anyone know of an add-in for IE that will do the "Insert-text from
> file" function so that boilerplate replies can be used in a web forum
> environment?

Sounds like an "accelerator". So, Tools, Manage Add-ons, Accelerators,
Find More Accelerators...

http://www.ieaddons.com/en/accelerators/

12 on that page and 11 pages? That would make for a messy right-click menu! <eg>

Or if there isn't something in there that would do the job you could always
take a stab at making your own...

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...,printer).aspx

<quote>
If the Accelerator doesn't fit a recommended category, you can define your own.
</quote>

How hard could it be? <EG>

Good luck

Robert
---

Bill

Re: "Insert" Add in for IE8?
No doubt someone will help you, but I reckon those web-based forums are a
disaster - have a look at:

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...-2f4dd57eee8d/

There is absolutely no structure, or real moderation.

About 160 pages on the one query, with so much repetition and no answer as
to the cause of the problem.

"Gordon" <gordonbparker@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Now MS seems to be moving to web-based forums for its peer-to-peer
> support, does anyone know of an add-in for IE that will do the
> "Insert-text from file" function so that boilerplate replies can be used
> in a web forum environment?

Gordon

Re: "Insert" Add in for IE8?

"Bill" <willy@home.om> wrote in message
> No doubt someone will help you, but I reckon those web-based forums are a
> disaster - have a look at:
>
> http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...-2f4dd57eee8d/

WOW! At least the Windows 7 forums seem well moderated and conducted - at
least up until now..... ;-)

> "Bill" <willy@home.om> wrote in message
>> No doubt someone will help you, but I reckon those web-based forums are a
>> disaster - have a look at:
>>
>> http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...-2f4dd57eee8d/
>>

> WOW! At least the Windows 7 forums seem well moderated and conducted - at
> least up until now..... ;-)

That's good to hear - am getting my free upgrade in a couple of weeks. I
must start browsing the W7 forums. I can understand why they had to do
something after the problems with the vista.general interloppers.

> That's good to hear - am getting my free upgrade in a couple of weeks. I
> must start browsing the W7 forums. I can understand why they had to do
> something after the problems with the vista.general interloppers.

That was my take on why they did it as well....

VanguardLH

Re: "Insert" Add in for IE8?
Bill wrote:

> No doubt someone will help you, but I reckon those web-based forums are a
> disaster - have a look at:
>
> http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...-2f4dd57eee8d/
>
> There is absolutely no structure, or real moderation.
>
> About 160 pages on the one query, with so much repetition and no answer as
> to the cause of the problem.

And no tree structure to see the the order of replies (i.e., who
answered who). It's just one flat list of posts. That's a worthless
format. They call that a "forum"? Looks more like a trashbin with a
unstructured mess of posts.
VanguardLH

Re: "Insert" Add in for IE8?
Gordon wrote:

> Now MS seems to be moving to web-based forums for its peer-to-peer support,
> does anyone know of an add-in for IE that will do the "Insert-text from
> file" function so that boilerplate replies can be used in a web forum
> environment?

Why not use an "insert add-in" for all your applications all in one
program? Get a clipboard manager that lets you save, organize, and edit
a database of canned (boilerplate) replies. I currently use ClipMate
(not free) but ClipMagic also works well (and is free). Then not only
do you have your canned relies handy for use in a web forum but you can
even use them here when using your NNTP client (Windows Live Mail).
Gordon

Re: "Insert" Add in for IE8?

> Why not use an "insert add-in" for all your applications all in one
> program? Get a clipboard manager that lets you save, organize, and edit
> a database of canned (boilerplate) replies. I currently use ClipMate
> (not free) but ClipMagic also works well (and is free). Then not only
> do you have your canned relies handy for use in a web forum but you can
> even use them here when using your NNTP client (Windows Live Mail).

Thanks for that - I'll give that a try.
(BTW, WLM already has the "insert text from file" function....)

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: "Insert" Add in for IE8?

"VanguardLH" <V@nguard.LH> wrote in message news:he0f3q$t5f$1@news.albasani.net...
> Bill wrote:
>
>> No doubt someone will help you, but I reckon those web-based forums are a
>> disaster - have a look at:
>>
>> http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...-2f4dd57eee8d/
>>
>> There is absolutely no structure, or real moderation.
>>
>> About 160 pages on the one query, with so much repetition and no answer as
>> to the cause of the problem.

> And no tree structure to see the the order of replies (i.e., who
> answered who). It's just one flat list of posts. That's a worthless
> format. They call that a "forum"? Looks more like a trashbin with a
> unstructured mess of posts.

Actually that forum does have a threaded view available
when you are logged in to it. I doubt any kind of threading
will help make sense of that "discussion" though. The forums moderators
haven't yet learned to try to discourage Me too! requests for help
and in fact is some cases make it worse by using a "merge" tool
that they have available to them. Ah. This one has some merging evident
in it which is just adding to its unwieldiness IMO. Me too! posters could
use the "I do too" counter instead of taking the opportunity to vent and that
would reduce the volume of these "discussions" considerably too. ; )

FYI

Robert
---