Monitor shadowing following IE8 upgrade

kmackey

Monitor shadowing following IE8 upgrade
Help (im a novice user)
Use Vista and today upgraded from IE7 to IE8. VERY coincidentally, I have a
major shadowing issue accross all windows.
Is it possibly linked, and how can i make it go away?!
Any advice would be appreciated, thanks
Leonard Grey

Re: Monitor shadowing following IE8 upgrade
Please describe in detail what "a major shadowing issue" is.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

kmackey wrote:
> Help (im a novice user)
> Use Vista and today upgraded from IE7 to IE8. VERY coincidentally, I have a
> major shadowing issue accross all windows.
> Is it possibly linked, and how can i make it go away?!
> Any advice would be appreciated, thanks

kmackey

Re: Monitor shadowing following IE8 upgrade
Hi Leonard, a strong grey shadow to the right of every character and graphic,
giving the impression you are tired or cross-eyed! Especially making excel
use impossible. Thanks.

"Leonard Grey" wrote:

> Please describe in detail what "a major shadowing issue" is.
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare humanum est
>
> kmackey wrote:
> > Help (im a novice user)
> > Use Vista and today upgraded from IE7 to IE8. VERY coincidentally, I have a
> > major shadowing issue accross all windows.
> > Is it possibly linked, and how can i make it go away?!
> > Any advice would be appreciated, thanks

> .

Leonard Grey

Re: Monitor shadowing following IE8 upgrade
It's got nothing to do with Internet Explorer. It's more likely a sign
that your monitor or video card are failing. The only setting that
Windows XP has for a shadow-like visual effect is here:

Start Control Panel > System > Advanced > Performance -- Settings >
Visual Effects

You may also have third-party software that is causing that
effect...like your video driver.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

kmackey wrote:
> Hi Leonard, a strong grey shadow to the right of every character and graphic,
> giving the impression you are tired or cross-eyed! Especially making excel
> use impossible. Thanks.
>
> "Leonard Grey" wrote:
>
>> Please describe in detail what "a major shadowing issue" is.
>> ---
>> Leonard Grey
>> Errare humanum est
>>
>> kmackey wrote:
>>> Help (im a novice user)
>>> Use Vista and today upgraded from IE7 to IE8. VERY coincidentally, I have a
>>> major shadowing issue accross all windows.
>>> Is it possibly linked, and how can i make it go away?!
>>> Any advice would be appreciated, thanks

>> .

kmackey

Re: Monitor shadowing following IE8 upgrade
Thanks again. I just thought it odd that it appeared immediately following
the reboot i did after installing IE08.
I feel like a bit of a goose, but i dont even know how to check my video
driver

"Leonard Grey" wrote:

> It's got nothing to do with Internet Explorer. It's more likely a sign
> that your monitor or video card are failing. The only setting that
> Windows XP has for a shadow-like visual effect is here:
>
> Start Control Panel > System > Advanced > Performance -- Settings >
> Visual Effects
>
> You may also have third-party software that is causing that
> effect...like your video driver.
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare humanum est
>
> kmackey wrote:
> > Hi Leonard, a strong grey shadow to the right of every character and graphic,
> > giving the impression you are tired or cross-eyed! Especially making excel
> > use impossible. Thanks.
> >
> > "Leonard Grey" wrote:
> >
> >> Please describe in detail what "a major shadowing issue" is.
> >> ---
> >> Leonard Grey
> >> Errare humanum est

> >> .
> >>

> .

Leonard Grey

Re: Monitor shadowing following IE8 upgrade
Whether you have a discrete video card (likely ATi- or nVidia-based) or
a motherboard (built-in) video chip, your video driver settings are in a
Control Panel applet. Also look in the settings in Control Panel >
Display > Settings.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

kmackey wrote:
> Thanks again. I just thought it odd that it appeared immediately following
> the reboot i did after installing IE08.
> I feel like a bit of a goose, but i dont even know how to check my video
> driver
>
> "Leonard Grey" wrote:
>
>> It's got nothing to do with Internet Explorer. It's more likely a sign
>> that your monitor or video card are failing. The only setting that
>> Windows XP has for a shadow-like visual effect is here:
>>
>> Start Control Panel > System > Advanced > Performance -- Settings >
>> Visual Effects
>>
>> You may also have third-party software that is causing that
>> effect...like your video driver.
>> ---
>> Leonard Grey
>> Errare humanum est
>>
>> kmackey wrote:
>>> Hi Leonard, a strong grey shadow to the right of every character and graphic,
>>> giving the impression you are tired or cross-eyed! Especially making excel
>>> use impossible. Thanks.

>> .

Jeff Strickland

> Whether you have a discrete video card (likely ATi- or nVidia-based) or a
> motherboard (built-in) video chip, your video driver settings are in a
> Control Panel applet. Also look in the settings in Control Panel > Display
> > Settings.

OR, Right-Click on the Desktop anywhere there is not an icon ...

Re: Monitor shadowing following IE8 upgrade
Any chance you installed a graphics driver update that was offered by
Windows Update?

kmackey wrote:
> Thanks again. I just thought it odd that it appeared immediately following
> the reboot i did after installing IE08.
> I feel like a bit of a goose, but i dont even know how to check my video
> driver
>
> "Leonard Grey" wrote:
>
>> It's got nothing to do with Internet Explorer. It's more likely a sign
>> that your monitor or video card are failing. The only setting that
>> Windows XP has for a shadow-like visual effect is here:
>>
>> Start Control Panel > System > Advanced > Performance -- Settings >
>> Visual Effects
>>
>> You may also have third-party software that is causing that
>> effect...like your video driver.
>> ---
>> Leonard Grey
>> Errare humanum est
>>
>> kmackey wrote:
>>> Hi Leonard, a strong grey shadow to the right of every character and
>>> graphic, giving the impression you are tired or cross-eyed! Especially
>>> making excel use impossible. Thanks.

>> .

Dan

Re: Monitor shadowing following IE8 upgrade
Did IE8 offer the ClearType settings when you first ran it? Did you enable
it?

It may be that your monitor is not compatible with ClearType. It's designed
to smooth fonts on an LCD panel with the most common pixel layout (RGB), but
if your monitor has an odd layout (eg BGR) or is not LCD based then it may
be that you're seeing an artifact caused by the ClearType handling.

Try running though the ClearType Tuner here:
http://www.microsoft.com/typography/...ner/Step1.aspx

Dan

"kmackey" <kmackey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi Leonard, a strong grey shadow to the right of every character and
> graphic,
> giving the impression you are tired or cross-eyed! Especially making excel
> use impossible. Thanks.
>
> "Leonard Grey" wrote:
>
>> Please describe in detail what "a major shadowing issue" is.
>> ---
>> Leonard Grey
>> Errare humanum est
>>
>> kmackey wrote:
>> > Help (im a novice user)
>> > Use Vista and today upgraded from IE7 to IE8. VERY coincidentally, I
>> > have a
>> > major shadowing issue accross all windows.
>> > Is it possibly linked, and how can i make it go away?!
>> > Any advice would be appreciated, thanks

>> .

kmackey

Re: Monitor shadowing following IE8 upgrade
thanks dan, no it didnt. i use vista, does this matter?