Websites don't recognize IE8

shqipo

Websites don't recognize IE8
I have Windows XP SP3 and IE8. It has happened before with some websites
which would not display, saying that I have an older version of IE and need
to upgrade to version 8. I ignored it thinking their JavaScript was acting
weird. However, today it happened with Facebook, too. This is the message I
get:

You may want to upgrade your browser.
You're using an old version of Internet Explorer to browse Facebook right
now. Facebook will work better for you if you upgrade or switch to another
browser.

Any ideas?
C A Upsdell

Re: Websites don't recognize IE8
shqipo wrote:
> I have Windows XP SP3 and IE8. It has happened before with some websites
> which would not display, saying that I have an older version of IE and need
> to upgrade to version 8. I ignored it thinking their JavaScript was acting
> weird. However, today it happened with Facebook, too. This is the message I
> get:
>
> You may want to upgrade your browser.
> You're using an old version of Internet Explorer to browse Facebook right
> now. Facebook will work better for you if you upgrade or switch to another
> browser.

Likely either (1) something is forging a userAgent string which
corresponds to an old version of IE, or (2) a browser sniffer is too
dumb to determine the correct version of IE.

Try this. Go to:

http://www.upsdell.com/BrowserNews/res_browser.htm

In the table which has columns Property and Value, you should see a
property navigator.userAgent: what is the value?

Re: Websites don't recognize IE8
Start here http://www.fiddlertool.com/useragent.aspx or maybe here
http://www.enhanceie.com/ietoys/uapick.asp

Try "spoofing" IE7 User Agent strings.

Also reply to C A Upsell's post.

shqipo wrote:
> I have Windows XP SP3 and IE8. It has happened before with some websites
> which would not display, saying that I have an older version of IE and
> need
> to upgrade to version 8. I ignored it thinking their JavaScript was acting
> weird. However, today it happened with Facebook, too. This is the message
> get:
>
> You may want to upgrade your browser.
> You're using an old version of Internet Explorer to browse Facebook right
> now. Facebook will work better for you if you upgrade or switch to another
> browser.
>
> Any ideas?

Colin

RE: Websites don't recognize IE8
I have Vista with IE8 and have the same issue, some sites still think I'm
using IE7 even though I have the compatibility mode switched off. This site
reports I'm using IE7... http://www.wellsfargo.com/help/wfonline/browsertest,
this site tells me I need to upgrade my browser...
https://www.smssoccer.ca/sms/index.jsp

"shqipo" wrote:

> I have Windows XP SP3 and IE8. It has happened before with some websites
> which would not display, saying that I have an older version of IE and need
> to upgrade to version 8. I ignored it thinking their JavaScript was acting
> weird. However, today it happened with Facebook, too. This is the message I
> get:
>
> You may want to upgrade your browser.
> You're using an old version of Internet Explorer to browse Facebook right
> now. Facebook will work better for you if you upgrade or switch to another
> browser.
>
> Any ideas?

Colin

RE: Websites don't recognize IE8
Cleaning up my UA using the script in
http://www.enhanceie.com/ietoys/uapick.asp
as given by PA Bear's post fixed my problem. My UA was too long.

thanks PA,
Colin

"shqipo" wrote:

> I have Windows XP SP3 and IE8. It has happened before with some websites
> which would not display, saying that I have an older version of IE and need
> to upgrade to version 8. I ignored it thinking their JavaScript was acting
> weird. However, today it happened with Facebook, too. This is the message I
> get:
>
> You may want to upgrade your browser.
> You're using an old version of Internet Explorer to browse Facebook right
> now. Facebook will work better for you if you upgrade or switch to another
> browser.
>
> Any ideas?

Jeff Strickland

"shqipo" <shqipo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have Windows XP SP3 and IE8. It has happened before with some websites
> which would not display, saying that I have an older version of IE and
> need
> to upgrade to version 8. I ignored it thinking their JavaScript was acting
> weird. However, today it happened with Facebook, too. This is the message
> get:
>
> You may want to upgrade your browser.
> You're using an old version of Internet Explorer to browse Facebook right
> now. Facebook will work better for you if you upgrade or switch to another
> browser.
>
> Any ideas?

Are you sure you're using IE8? It's odd that you could use IE8 and get
warnings that you're using an older version.

Re: Websites don't recognize IE8
YW, Colin. Thanks for your feedback.