IE8 Render Problem with IIS6 .net 1.1

JasonC

IE8 Render Problem with IIS6 .net 1.1
I have been trying to debug a strange IE8 problem and have figured out what
is causing it but no solution.

I have an application written using .net 1.1 running on IIS6. When a user
views a page on it with IE7, Firefox, Chrome it render fine.

SOME users when using IE8 go to it it has no widths on textboxes and pull
downs and some fonts are very large system fonts. Other IE8 users are fine.
Compatibility mode makes no difference on these pages.

I used an IE8 version fine for 2 months then overnight it all changed.

Here is what I found out. I have some clients hosting the pages using .net
1.1 on IIS7 and they render fine in previously bad IE8 users. So it is
something to do with the way IIS6 is sending the pages or how IE8 renders
what it sends.

Also If I take the application and change the .net version from 1.1 to 2.0
on the IIS6 web server the page renders properly again. I cannot just change
this application over to 2.0 do to other problems but the main page comes up
without the width and font issues under IIS6 2.0 on IE8 users that were
experiencing the problem.

If I change the page back to .net 1.1 the problem with ie8 returns.

Any thoughts or fixes either for IE8 or the actual web server?
Robert Aldwinckle

Re: IE8 Render Problem with IIS6 .net 1.1

"JasonC" <JasonC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A843B8A5-D04A-4A45-BDB8-E0BECF16A1FC@microsoft.com...
>I have been trying to debug a strange IE8 problem and have figured out what
> is causing it but no solution.
>
> I have an application written using .net 1.1 running on IIS6. When a user
> views a page on it with IE7, Firefox, Chrome it render fine.
>

> SOME users when using IE8 go to it it has no widths on textboxes and pull
> downs and some fonts are very large system fonts. Other IE8 users are fine.

Sounds like "some" users have High Contrast mode enabled (or otherwise
are using the Accessibility dialog settings to allow variable Text size)?

> Compatibility mode makes no difference on these pages.
>
> I used an IE8 version fine for 2 months then overnight it all changed.

You pressed LeftAlt+LeftShift+PrintScrn accidentally? <eg>

> Here is what I found out. I have some clients hosting the pages using .net
> 1.1 on IIS7 and they render fine in previously bad IE8 users. So it is
> something to do with the way IIS6 is sending the pages or how IE8 renders
> what it sends.
>
> Also If I take the application and change the .net version from 1.1 to 2.0
> on the IIS6 web server the page renders properly again. I cannot just change
> this application over to 2.0 do to other problems but the main page comes up
> without the width and font issues under IIS6 2.0 on IE8 users that were
> experiencing the problem.
>
> If I change the page back to .net 1.1 the problem with ie8 returns.
>

> Any thoughts or fixes either for IE8 or the actual web server?

If it's not an Accessibility factor I would try enabling some .NET traces.
E.g. I doubt that ProcMon or even the IE8 Developer Tools (F12)
will give you clear enough clues.

BTW you could probably get more informed debugging help from a forum
or newsgroup which specializes in IE web development, such as the MSDN
one.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---