Explorer shuts down frequently; BEX error?

jackypaper

Explorer shuts down frequently; BEX error?
About every third or fourth site I try to open, IE8 "encounters a problem"
and must close. I'm running Windows 7 on a month-old machine. Here are the
details:

Problem Event Name: BEX
Application Name: iexplore.exe
Application Version: 8.0.7600.16385
Application Timestamp: 4a5bc69e
Fault Module Name: StackHash_5eb5
Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000
Exception Offset: 00000000
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Data: 00000008
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 5eb5
Additional Information 2: 5eb54f540d0a165ad280af17aa9abd7e
Additional Information 3: c2ed
Additional Information 4: c2edcb08fa17163027bf410260264988

I'd greatly appreciate any insight, as I'm forced to run Firefox to access
certain sites, and I'm no fan of that browser. Thanks!
jackypaper

RE: Explorer shuts down frequently; BEX error?
I also need to add that I've tried running IE without extensions and add-ons.
I've also reset IE to its factory settings. Finally, I uninstalled IE8 and
reinstalled it. I'm still encountering frequent shutdowns.

Re: Explorer shuts down frequently; BEX error?
Is Google Toolbar or Desktop installed?

Do you have SAP installed on your system? BEx is the reporting tool used to
work with data in the BW database. BEx has a Web-based user interface and is
made up of two components, the BEx browser and the BEx analyzer. It is
possible that this browser add-on is causing your problem. Otherwise...

Is this a brand-new computer or did you upgrade to Win7?

What third-party firewall (if any)?

Has a(another) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this
it)?
www.banthecheck.com

jackypaper wrote:
> I also need to add that I've tried running IE without extensions and
> add-ons. I've also reset IE to its factory settings. Finally, I
> uninstalled IE8 and reinstalled it. I'm still encountering frequent
> shutdowns.

<paste>
> About every third or fourth site I try to open, IE8 "encounters a problem"
> and must close. I'm running Windows 7 on a month-old machine. Here are
> the
> details:
>
> Problem Event Name: BEX
> Application Name: iexplore.exe
> Application Version: 8.0.7600.16385
> Application Timestamp: 4a5bc69e
> Fault Module Name: StackHash_5eb5
> Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
> Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000
> Exception Offset: 00000000
> Exception Code: c0000005
> Exception Data: 00000008
> OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.768.3
> Locale ID: 1033
> Additional Information 1: 5eb5
> Additional Information 2: 5eb54f540d0a165ad280af17aa9abd7e
> Additional Information 3: c2ed
> Additional Information 4: c2edcb08fa17163027bf410260264988
>
> I'd greatly appreciate any insight, as I'm forced to run Firefox to access
> certain sites, and I'm no fan of that browser. Thanks!

jackypaper

Re: Explorer shuts down frequently; BEX error?
No, Google Toolbar and Desktop are not installed.

The computer is brand new, one month old, with Windows 7 Home Premium
installed.

My only anti-virus is Microsoft Security Essentials. I have no third-party
anti-virus, firewall, or anti-spam programs installed.

Yes, McAfee came pre-installed, but I uninstalled it immediately. And the
IE8 shutdown problem has only started happening within the last week. The
only program I have installed within that time is a "DVD to Zune" converter.

"Do you have SAP installed on your system?" I'm sorry, but I don't know the
meaning of SAP.

Thanks for your help!

Dan

"jackypaper" <jackypaper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> No, Google Toolbar and Desktop are not installed.
>
> The computer is brand new, one month old, with Windows 7 Home Premium
> installed.
>
> My only anti-virus is Microsoft Security Essentials. I have no
> third-party
> anti-virus, firewall, or anti-spam programs installed.
>
> Yes, McAfee came pre-installed, but I uninstalled it immediately. And the
> IE8 shutdown problem has only started happening within the last week. The
> only program I have installed within that time is a "DVD to Zune"
> converter.
>
> "Do you have SAP installed on your system?" I'm sorry, but I don't know
> the
> meaning of SAP.
>
> Thanks for your help!

Ignore the reference to SAP (it's an ERP system you'd know if you had it
installed!) - PA Bear had just search for an application called BEX and
found BEx listed (part of SAP) and so asked whether you had it installed.

BEX in regards to an error code in Windows means "Buffer overflow
EXception",

A quick dig around suggests this error might be due to a problem with Sun's
Java (did you install Java at any time, possibly by visiting a website that
asked you to install it?), and one workaround is to disable DEP (Data
Execution Prevention), although that article refered to Vista, but should
apply to Windows 7 too. There's a guide on how to disable/enable it here:
http://windows7themes.net/disable-wi...s-7-vista.html

--
Dan

LanceUAFortSmith

Re: Explorer shuts down frequently; BEX error?
Dan,

I'm the OP, posting from my work PC.

Last night I disabled DEP specifically for iexplore.exe, but that
didn't seem to correct the problem. Do I need to disable all DEP?
And can this have an adverse effect on my system?

Thanks,

Lance

Re: Explorer shuts down frequently; BEX error?
Unlike MS Answers forums, it helps immensely if you quote all of the
accessing this newsgroup via the clunky web-interface you're uring. Thank
you.

I noticed your concurrent post in the IE forum earlier today:
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...e-21a368672e95

Did you (1) uninstall the McAfee free-trial and then (2) download/run the
McAfee Consumer Products Removal Tool before (3) you installed Microsoft
Security Essentials (MSE)?
--
~PA Bear

jackypaper wrote:
> No, Google Toolbar and Desktop are not installed.
>
> The computer is brand new, one month old, with Windows 7 Home Premium
> installed.
>
> My only anti-virus is Microsoft Security Essentials. I have no
> third-party
> anti-virus, firewall, or anti-spam programs installed.
>
> Yes, McAfee came pre-installed, but I uninstalled it immediately. And the
> IE8 shutdown problem has only started happening within the last week. The
> only program I have installed within that time is a "DVD to Zune"
> converter.
>
> "Do you have SAP installed on your system?" I'm sorry, but I don't know
> the
> meaning of SAP.
>
> Thanks for your help!

<paste>
PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
> Is Google Toolbar or Desktop installed?
>
> Do you have SAP installed on your system? BEx is the reporting tool used
> work with data in the BW database. BEx has a Web-based user interface and
> is
> made up of two components, the BEx browser and the BEx analyzer. It is
> possible that this browser add-on is causing your problem. Otherwise...
>
> Is this a brand-new computer or did you upgrade to Win7?

> Defender)?
> What third-party firewall (if any)?
>
> Has a(another) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this
> it)?
>
> jackypaper wrote:
>> I also need to add that I've tried running IE without extensions and
>> add-ons. I've also reset IE to its factory settings. Finally, I
>> uninstalled IE8 and reinstalled it. I'm still encountering frequent
>> shutdowns.

> <paste>
>> About every third or fourth site I try to open, IE8 "encounters a
>> problem"
>> and must close. I'm running Windows 7 on a month-old machine. Here are
>> the
>> details:
>>
>> Problem Event Name: BEX
>> Application Name: iexplore.exe
>> Application Version: 8.0.7600.16385
>> Application Timestamp: 4a5bc69e
>> Fault Module Name: StackHash_5eb5
>> Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
>> Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000
>> Exception Offset: 00000000
>> Exception Code: c0000005
>> Exception Data: 00000008
>> OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.768.3
>> Locale ID: 1033
>> Additional Information 1: 5eb5
>> Additional Information 2: 5eb54f540d0a165ad280af17aa9abd7e
>> Additional Information 3: c2ed
>> Additional Information 4: c2edcb08fa17163027bf410260264988
>>
>> I'd greatly appreciate any insight, as I'm forced to run Firefox to
>> access
>> certain sites, and I'm no fan of that browser. Thanks!

Re: Explorer shuts down frequently; BEX error?
Never assume! Since OP didn't mention the SAP software, I had to ask: It's
a known-cause of the behavior; cf.
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...2-10314d68be84

On Nov 16, 4:22*pm, "PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABear...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]

> >> details:

> >> *Problem Event Name: BEX
> >> *Application Name: iexplore.exe
> >> *Application Version: 8.0.7600.16385
> >> *Application Timestamp: 4a5bc69e
> >> *Fault Module Name: StackHash_5eb5
> >> *Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
> >> *Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000
> >> *Exception Offset: 00000000
> >> *Exception Code: c0000005
> >> *Exception Data: 00000008
> >> *OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.768.3
> >> *Locale ID: 1033
> >> *Additional Information 1: 5eb5
> >> *Additional Information 2: 5eb54f540d0a165ad280af17aa9abd7e
> >> *Additional Information 3: c2ed
> >> *Additional Information 4: c2edcb08fa17163027bf410260264988

> >> I'd greatly appreciate any insight, as I'm forced to run Firefox to
> >> access
> >> certain sites, and I'm no fan of that browser. *Thanks!- Hide quotedtext -

Alas, I did not run the McAfee Consumer Products Removal Tool before
installing MSE. However, for the first three weeks I owned the
computer (after removing McAfee), I didn't have this problem. It
started only last week. The only change I've made (other than Windows
updates) has been installing a DVD to Zune converter program, which
I've since uninstalled in my efforts to root out the problem. I even
did a system restore to no avail. What vexes me is that the problem
isn't even resolved by resetting Explorer or uninstalling and
reinstalling. . . .

Thanks for your continued help!

LanceUAFortSmith wrote:
> [...]

>>> Defender)?
>>> What third-party firewall (if any)?

>>> Has a(another) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this
>>> machine (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you
>>> bought
>>> it)?

>>> <paste>

> Alas, I did not run the McAfee Consumer Products Removal Tool before
> installing MSE. However, for the first three weeks I owned the
> computer (after removing McAfee), I didn't have this problem. It
> started only last week. The only change I've made (other than Windows
> updates) has been installing a DVD to Zune converter program, which
> I've since uninstalled in my efforts to root out the problem. I even
> did a system restore to no avail. What vexes me is that the problem
> isn't even resolved by resetting Explorer or uninstalling and

OK, we'll bottom-post now.

1. Download the McAfee Consumer Products Removal Too, saving it to your
desktop:
http://download.mcafee.com/products/...tches/MCPR.exe

2. Download a fresh installer for MSE, saving it to your desktop, using the
LOCALES & LANGUAGES link here:
http://www.microsoft.com/security_es...s/default.aspx

3. Close all open applications (i.e., anything with an icon on the taskbar).

4. Uninstall MSE via Add/Remove Programs & reboot.

browsing; reading email; chatting) until you're completed Steps #5 & #6
below & MSE had been updated.

5. Double-click on the file you saved in #1 above to run the utility. Don't
TOUCH your keyboard until the run completes, then reboot.

6. Double-click on the file you saved in #2 above to reinstall MSE, then
reboot & update manually, if need be.
www.banthecheck.com