Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

"Start without add-ons" vs disabling add-ons

microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 11-14-2009
Code-Curious Mom
 

Posts: n/a
"Start without add-ons" vs disabling add-ons
What is the difference between starting IE8 without add-ons, and disabling
all of them through 'Manage Add-ons'? Is there something else that "Start
without add-ons" disables? Add-ons that 'Manage add-ons' does not detect? I
encountered a webmail app that behaves differently when IE is started
without add-ons vs disabling them all. (I found a simple acceptable
workaround for the original issue, so I am more interested in the questions
as asked rather than solving the issue that prompted this.)

BTW, I really disabled *all* of them, those in 'Run without permission', and
'Downloaded controls' in addition to those listed as 'All add-ons', which
curiously does not seem to actually include some of those in the other
categories.

Thanks. (IE8 on WinXP SP3)

Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 11-14-2009
PA Bear [MS MVP]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: "Start without add-ons" vs disabling add-ons
Troubleshooting and Internet Explorer's (No Add-ons) Mode:
http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2006/07/25/678113.aspx

If you really wanna disable all Add-ons in one swell foop (...), do a Reset:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737

Also see...

When you use Internet Explorer 8, you cannot access your Webmail:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/967894

More questions about the webmail account? Contact Yahoo Mail Support or
switch back to Yahoo Classic Mail.

OT: Your headers (Microsoft Windows Live Mail 14.0.8064.206) tell us that
you're running an outdated version of Windows Live Mail and any other
Windows Live apps. Current build of Windows Live Mail is v14.0.8089.0726.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Client - since 2002
www.banthecheck.com


Code-Curious Mom wrote:
> What is the difference between starting IE8 without add-ons, and disabling
> all of them through 'Manage Add-ons'? Is there something else that "Start
> without add-ons" disables? Add-ons that 'Manage add-ons' does not detect?
> I
> encountered a webmail app that behaves differently when IE is started
> without add-ons vs disabling them all. (I found a simple acceptable
> workaround for the original issue, so I am more interested in the
> questions
> as asked rather than solving the issue that prompted this.)
>
> BTW, I really disabled *all* of them, those in 'Run without permission',
> and
> 'Downloaded controls' in addition to those listed as 'All add-ons', which
> curiously does not seem to actually include some of those in the other
> categories.
>
> Thanks. (IE8 on WinXP SP3)


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 11-23-2009
Code-Curious Mom
 

Posts: n/a
Re: "Start without add-ons" vs disabling add-ons

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:e$OXwPUZKHA.1652@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> Troubleshooting and Internet Explorer's (No Add-ons) Mode:
> http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2006/07/25/678113.aspx


Well that's basically what I already tried. Works properly in No Add-ons
Mode; improperly with all add-ons individually disabled.

> If you really wanna disable all Add-ons in one swell foop (...), do a
> Reset: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737


RIES is what I'm trying to avoid. Was hoping to find the individual item
that was a problem. So far I've determined that it's DEP-related. If it
ever becomes enough of an issue to justify it, I'll try RIES or other
suggestions from your links. Thanks for the effort.

<snip additional info and link>

> Code-Curious Mom wrote:
>> What is the difference between starting IE8 without add-ons, and
>> disabling
>> all of them through 'Manage Add-ons'? Is there something else that "Start
>> without add-ons" disables? Add-ons that 'Manage add-ons' does not detect?
>> I
>> encountered a webmail app that behaves differently when IE is started
>> without add-ons vs disabling them all. (I found a simple acceptable
>> workaround for the original issue, so I am more interested in the
>> questions
>> as asked rather than solving the issue that prompted this.)
>>
>> BTW, I really disabled *all* of them, those in 'Run without permission',
>> and
>> 'Downloaded controls' in addition to those listed as 'All add-ons',
>> which
>> curiously does not seem to actually include some of those in the other
>> categories.
>>
>> Thanks. (IE8 on WinXP SP3)

>




Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 11-23-2009
Robert Aldwinckle
 

Posts: n/a
Re: "Start without add-ons" vs disabling add-ons

"Code-Curious Mom" <none@NG.invalid> wrote in message news:%233%23doSTZKHA.616@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> What is the difference between starting IE8 without add-ons, and disabling
> all of them through 'Manage Add-ons'? Is there something else that "Start
> without add-ons" disables? Add-ons that 'Manage add-ons' does not detect?



Try running ProcMon twice and find out? ; )

While you're at it tell us what difference just unchecking
Enable third-party extensions (requires restart)
i.e., the old IE5 way of doing ostensibly the same thing does?
And if you still have BHODemon (for example) you could check
how using it compares with using Manage Add-ons, again comparing
the old tools with the new.


Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---


> I
> encountered a webmail app that behaves differently when IE is started
> without add-ons vs disabling them all. (I found a simple acceptable
> workaround for the original issue, so I am more interested in the questions
> as asked rather than solving the issue that prompted this.)
>
> BTW, I really disabled *all* of them, those in 'Run without permission', and
> 'Downloaded controls' in addition to those listed as 'All add-ons', which
> curiously does not seem to actually include some of those in the other
> categories.
>
> Thanks. (IE8 on WinXP SP3)
>



Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 11-24-2009
PA Bear [MS MVP]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: "Start without add-ons" vs disabling add-ons
To keep track of things, it helps immensely if you quote all of the previous
message(s) in your replies to the newsgroup. Thank you.

PS: Always state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista 64-bit
SP2; Win7 RC; Win7) as well as your IE version when posting in an
IE-specific forum or newsgroup. Please do so in your next reply.

PPS: At least you got Windows Live Mail upgraded.


Code-Curious Mom wrote:
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:e$OXwPUZKHA.1652@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
>> Troubleshooting and Internet Explorer's (No Add-ons) Mode:
>> http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2006/07/25/678113.aspx

>
> Well that's basically what I already tried. Works properly in No Add-ons
> Mode; improperly with all add-ons individually disabled.
>
>> If you really wanna disable all Add-ons in one swell foop (...), do a
>> Reset: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737

>
> RIES is what I'm trying to avoid. Was hoping to find the individual item
> that was a problem. So far I've determined that it's DEP-related. If it
> ever becomes enough of an issue to justify it, I'll try RIES or other
> suggestions from your links. Thanks for the effort.
>
> <snip additional info and link>
>
>> Code-Curious Mom wrote:
>>> What is the difference between starting IE8 without add-ons, and
>>> disabling
>>> all of them through 'Manage Add-ons'? Is there something else that
>>> "Start
>>> without add-ons" disables? Add-ons that 'Manage add-ons' does not
>>> detect?
>>> I
>>> encountered a webmail app that behaves differently when IE is started
>>> without add-ons vs disabling them all. (I found a simple acceptable
>>> workaround for the original issue, so I am more interested in the
>>> questions
>>> as asked rather than solving the issue that prompted this.)
>>>
>>> BTW, I really disabled *all* of them, those in 'Run without permission',
>>> and
>>> 'Downloaded controls' in addition to those listed as 'All add-ons',
>>> which
>>> curiously does not seem to actually include some of those in the other
>>> categories.
>>>
>>> Thanks. (IE8 on WinXP SP3)


Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 11-29-2009
Code-Curious Mom
 

Posts: n/a
Re: "Start without add-ons" vs disabling add-ons
I finally got this sorted. The difference between 'start without add-ons'
and individually disabling them all was that 'start without add-ons' was
also disabling the information bar from prompting for ActiveX downloads.
(Seems sensible enough, but haven't seen that documented anywhere.) I
discovered that even with add-ons enabled, if I changed 'Download signed
ActiveX controls' from Prompt to Disable, no problem occurred. But of
course that totally prevents ActiveX downloads on all sites in that zone.

What actually fixed the issue was uninstalling the MS Java VM according to
the instructions at: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555107. MS Java is
ancient; good riddance! I've had Sun Java for ages.

For the possible benefit of others, the error I was getting was "the
instruction at <hex address> referenced memory at <same hex address>. The
memory could not be written." While troubleshooting, I found that in
addition to webmail (in a particular configuration), the error also occurred
at http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/welcome/, and when attempting to download
adobe flash player.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:OOJ6XKJbKHA.5608@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> To keep track of things, it helps immensely if you quote all of the
> previous
> message(s) in your replies to the newsgroup. Thank you.


Ok, sure.

> PS: Always state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista 64-bit
> SP2; Win7 RC; Win7) as well as your IE version when posting in an
> IE-specific forum or newsgroup. Please do so in your next reply.


I did post my Windows & IE version in my first post, as you can see if you
scroll down.

> PPS: At least you got Windows Live Mail upgraded.


Actually, no, I'm not currently posting from the machine that had the
problem <grin>. I was aware of the update and there was a reason for
waiting, but let's not get OT.

>> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> news:e$OXwPUZKHA.1652@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
>>> Troubleshooting and Internet Explorer's (No Add-ons) Mode:
>>> http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2006/07/25/678113.aspx

>>
>> Well that's basically what I already tried. Works properly in No Add-ons
>> Mode; improperly with all add-ons individually disabled.
>>
>>> If you really wanna disable all Add-ons in one swell foop (...), do a
>>> Reset: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737

>>
>> RIES is what I'm trying to avoid. Was hoping to find the individual item
>> that was a problem. So far I've determined that it's DEP-related. If it
>> ever becomes enough of an issue to justify it, I'll try RIES or other
>> suggestions from your links. Thanks for the effort.


>>>Also see...
>>>When you use Internet Explorer 8, you cannot access your Webmail:
>>>http://support.microsoft.com/kb/967894
>>>More questions about the webmail account? Contact Yahoo Mail Support or
>>>switch back to Yahoo Classic Mail.


>>> Code-Curious Mom wrote:
>>>> What is the difference between starting IE8 without add-ons, and
>>>> disabling
>>>> all of them through 'Manage Add-ons'? Is there something else that
>>>> "Start
>>>> without add-ons" disables? Add-ons that 'Manage add-ons' does not
>>>> detect?
>>>> I
>>>> encountered a webmail app that behaves differently when IE is started
>>>> without add-ons vs disabling them all. (I found a simple acceptable
>>>> workaround for the original issue, so I am more interested in the
>>>> questions
>>>> as asked rather than solving the issue that prompted this.)
>>>>
>>>> BTW, I really disabled *all* of them, those in 'Run without
>>>> permission',
>>>> and
>>>> 'Downloaded controls' in addition to those listed as 'All add-ons',
>>>> which
>>>> curiously does not seem to actually include some of those in the other
>>>> categories.
>>>>
>>>> Thanks. (IE8 on WinXP SP3)



Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 11-29-2009
Code-Curious Mom
 

Posts: n/a
Re: "Start without add-ons" vs disabling add-ons
ProcMon is fantastic, thanks for reminding me of this. I am not very
experienced at using it and was not really quite sure what to look for and
what to filter out, but I did get some ideas and combining those with
googling and experimenting finally led to success in fixing the error and
some insight into the difference ('start without add-ons' was also disabling
prompting for ActiveX downloads - there may be other differences I've not
found). BTW, unchecking 'enable third-party extensions' did *not* disable
the info bar ActiveX prompt (and I would guess third-party extensions would
not include MS ones).

"Robert Aldwinckle" <robald@techemail.com> wrote in message
news:#wwKwvFbKHA.5608@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
>
> "Code-Curious Mom" <none@NG.invalid> wrote in message
> news:%233%23doSTZKHA.616@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>> What is the difference between starting IE8 without add-ons, and
>> disabling
>> all of them through 'Manage Add-ons'? Is there something else that "Start
>> without add-ons" disables? Add-ons that 'Manage add-ons' does not detect?

>
>
> Try running ProcMon twice and find out? ; )
>
> While you're at it tell us what difference just unchecking
> Enable third-party extensions (requires restart)
> i.e., the old IE5 way of doing ostensibly the same thing does?
> And if you still have BHODemon (for example) you could check
> how using it compares with using Manage Add-ons, again comparing
> the old tools with the new.
>
>
> Good luck
>
> Robert Aldwinckle
> ---
>
>
>> I
>> encountered a webmail app that behaves differently when IE is started
>> without add-ons vs disabling them all. (I found a simple acceptable
>> workaround for the original issue, so I am more interested in the
>> questions
>> as asked rather than solving the issue that prompted this.)
>>
>> BTW, I really disabled *all* of them, those in 'Run without permission',
>> and
>> 'Downloaded controls' in addition to those listed as 'All add-ons',
>> which
>> curiously does not seem to actually include some of those in the other
>> categories.
>>
>> Thanks. (IE8 on WinXP SP3)



Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 11-29-2009
Robert Aldwinckle
 

Posts: n/a
Re: "Start without add-ons" vs disabling add-ons

"Code-Curious Mom" <none@NG.invalid> wrote in message news:u0sTpVKcKHA.2164@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...

> BTW, unchecking 'enable third-party extensions' did *not* disable
> the info bar ActiveX prompt (and I would guess third-party extensions
> would not include MS ones).



Really? I would have sworn that used to disable embedded Java applets
when Java was only MS Java.

Glad to see you found a resolution. Thanks for the feedback.


Robert
---


Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"right click" and "open" on an icon does not start the program! Pete microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 0 10-02-2008 01:51
Article ID: 930433 The "Remove Search Computer Link" Group Policy setting removes the "Search the Internet" option that is in the Start menu search box instead of the "See all results" option in Windows Vista KBArticles English 0 10-22-2007 20:00
Article ID: 937249 "Mirovanje" is used for both the "Sleep" command and the "Hibernate" command on the "Shut Down" menu in the Slovenian version of Windows Vista KBArticles English 0 10-22-2007 20:00
Article ID: 938723 "Hibernates" or "hibernation" appears instead of "sleeps" or "sleep" in Power Options in the Traditional Chinese (CHT) version of Windows Vista KBArticles English 0 10-22-2007 20:00
start menu "music" and "pictures" Nagabeanz microsoft.public.windows.vista.music pictures video 1 07-14-2007 08:34




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 22:49.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120