problem with overlaping windows in IE8

totally confused

problem with overlaping windows in IE8
I have reinstalled IE8 twice now thinking it would solve the problem, it
hasn't. When I have 2 or more windows open at the same time one is
transparant and the others overlap. If I try to close out one of the windows
it doesn't close unless I use the task bar, even then part of that window
remains. There are times when there are big holes with just the window
frame showing.
I have also been experiencing screen blackouts, can't seem to find the
reason for that either. I've run a virus scan, ran a malware scan and also
ran RegCure. I still have both problems. (Running Vista Home Prem SP2)
Any suggestions??

Don Varnau

Re: problem with overlaping windows in IE8
Hi,
1. Start Internet Explorer without add-ons by right-clicking the IE icon on
the desktop. Choose Start without add-ons.
or
from Start> Programs> Accessories> System tools> Internet Explorer (no
add-ons)
If the problem goes away, you have an incompatible browser add-on installed.

For troubleshooting information see:

Windows Vista Help- Internet Explorer add-ons frequently asked questions:
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...f9b7e1033.mspx

2. Do you have a third-party program running which adds themes, manages
themes or otherwise customizes the appearance of windows or the desktop?
This may be the culprit. Check in the System Tray/Notification Area to see
what's running and/or access Task Manager (Ctrl-Alt-Delete) and look over
applications and processes.

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"totally confused" <totallyconfused@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:3D7E1ECD-83F7-46D6-B690-A8D96C582321@microsoft.com...
> I have reinstalled IE8 twice now thinking it would solve the problem, it
> hasn't. When I have 2 or more windows open at the same time one is
> transparant and the others overlap. If I try to close out one of the

windows
> it doesn't close unless I use the task bar, even then part of that window
> remains. There are times when there are big holes with just the window
> frame showing.
> I have also been experiencing screen blackouts, can't seem to find the
> reason for that either. I've run a virus scan, ran a malware scan and

also
> ran RegCure. I still have both problems. (Running Vista Home Prem SP2)
> Any suggestions??

totally confused

Re: problem with overlaping windows in IE8
Don
I did like you suggested. So far so good. The only add on I had was my
Yahoo toolbar and considering I downloaded the IE8 from their website it
should be compatabile shouldn't it? IE doesn't crash and close, it freezes
one window on top of another with one being partially transparent. But like
I said so far so good. I don't use that toolbar anyway so I'll just leave it
disabled. Will let you know if I have further problem with it. Thanks

Can you explain to me what is causing the screen to go black? I see others
are experiencing it too. It comes right back on, but it may do it 4 or 5
times consecutively. It's a real PITA when you're working with documents and
find you haven't typed anything cause the screen went black. Then you have
to go back and remember what you were trying to write.
George

"Don Varnau" wrote:

> Hi,
> 1. Start Internet Explorer without add-ons by right-clicking the IE icon on
> the desktop. Choose Start without add-ons.
> or
> from Start> Programs> Accessories> System tools> Internet Explorer (no
> add-ons)
> If the problem goes away, you have an incompatible browser add-on installed.
>
> For troubleshooting information see:
> IEBlog Troubleshooting and Internet Explorer’s (No Add-ons) Mode:
>
> Windows Vista Help- Internet Explorer add-ons frequently asked questions:
> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...f9b7e1033.mspx
>
> 2. Do you have a third-party program running which adds themes, manages
> themes or otherwise customizes the appearance of windows or the desktop?
> This may be the culprit. Check in the System Tray/Notification Area to see
> what's running and/or access Task Manager (Ctrl-Alt-Delete) and look over
> applications and processes.
>
> Hope this helps,
> Don
> [MS MVP- IE]
>

> "totally confused" <totallyconfused@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:3D7E1ECD-83F7-46D6-B690-A8D96C582321@microsoft.com...
> > I have reinstalled IE8 twice now thinking it would solve the problem, it
> > hasn't. When I have 2 or more windows open at the same time one is
> > transparant and the others overlap. If I try to close out one of the

> windows
> > it doesn't close unless I use the task bar, even then part of that window
> > remains. There are times when there are big holes with just the window
> > frame showing.
> > I have also been experiencing screen blackouts, can't seem to find the
> > reason for that either. I've run a virus scan, ran a malware scan and

> also
> > ran RegCure. I still have both problems. (Running Vista Home Prem SP2)
> > Any suggestions??
> >

> .

Re: problem with overlaping windows in IE8
> ...When I have 2 or more windows open at the same time one is
> transparant and the others overlap.

Right-click on an empty area of the taskbar: Is Cascade Windows or either of
the Tile options enabled?

> I've...also ran RegCure

Injudicious use of RegCure may have caused all of your problems! If you
think your Registry needs to be "cleaned" or "repaired" and you need even
more convincing, read http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=28099 and draw your
own conclusions.

totally confused wrote:
> I have reinstalled IE8 twice now thinking it would solve the problem, it
> hasn't. When I have 2 or more windows open at the same time one is
> transparant and the others overlap. If I try to close out one of the
> windows it doesn't close unless I use the task bar, even then part of that
> window remains. There are times when there are big holes with just the
> window frame showing.
> I have also been experiencing screen blackouts, can't seem to find the
> reason for that either. I've run a virus scan, ran a malware scan and
> also
> ran RegCure. I still have both problems. (Running Vista Home Prem SP2)
> Any suggestions??

totally confused

Re: problem with overlaping windows in IE8
PA Bear
I just finished reading the link you put in your reply. Wish I had read
it before I shelled out $30 for RegCure. The full version does allow you to
restore anything removed from the registry though. It also did weed out a
bunch of crap let behind by programs that didn't take everything with them
when they unistalled. Was that worth $30, not so sure. My system is
running a tad faster, but nothing to write home about.

As to the other problem, I don't have anything checked as far as "Cascade or
tiled options" should one of them be checked?? I had this problem long
before I got RegCure.
--
George

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> > ...When I have 2 or more windows open at the same time one is
> > transparant and the others overlap.

> Right-click on an empty area of the taskbar: Is Cascade Windows or either of
> the Tile options enabled?
>
> > I've...also ran RegCure

> Injudicious use of RegCure may have caused all of your problems! If you
> think your Registry needs to be "cleaned" or "repaired" and you need even
> more convincing, read http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=28099 and draw your
> own conclusions.
>

> totally confused wrote:
> > I have reinstalled IE8 twice now thinking it would solve the problem, it
> > hasn't. When I have 2 or more windows open at the same time one is
> > transparant and the others overlap. If I try to close out one of the
> > windows it doesn't close unless I use the task bar, even then part of that
> > window remains. There are times when there are big holes with just the
> > window frame showing.
> > I have also been experiencing screen blackouts, can't seem to find the
> > reason for that either. I've run a virus scan, ran a malware scan and
> > also
> > ran RegCure. I still have both problems. (Running Vista Home Prem SP2)
> > Any suggestions??

> .

Re: problem with overlaping windows in IE8
> As to the other problem, I don't have anything checked as far as "Cascade
> or
> tiled options" should one of them be checked??

No! I have nothing else to add/suggest here so I'll leave you in Don's more
than capable hands.

environment.

=> US & CA Residents: 1-866-234-6020

=> Other locales: https://support.microsoft.com/oas/de...px?&prid=13043

totally confused wrote:
> PA Bear
> I just finished reading the link you put in your reply. Wish I had read
> it before I shelled out $30 for RegCure. The full version does allow you
> to restore anything removed from the registry though. It also did weed
> out a bunch of crap let behind by programs that didn't take everything
> with
> them when they unistalled. Was that worth $30, not so sure. My system
> is
> running a tad faster, but nothing to write home about.
>
> As to the other problem, I don't have anything checked as far as "Cascade
> or
> tiled options" should one of them be checked?? I had this problem long
> before I got RegCure.
>
>>> ...When I have 2 or more windows open at the same time one is
>>> transparant and the others overlap.

>> Right-click on an empty area of the taskbar: Is Cascade Windows or either
>> of the Tile options enabled?
>>
>>> I've...also ran RegCure

>> Injudicious use of RegCure may have caused all of your problems! If you
>> think your Registry needs to be "cleaned" or "repaired" and you need even
>> more convincing, read http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=28099 and draw
>> your
>> own conclusions.
>>

>> totally confused wrote:
>>> I have reinstalled IE8 twice now thinking it would solve the problem, it
>>> hasn't. When I have 2 or more windows open at the same time one is
>>> transparant and the others overlap. If I try to close out one of the
>>> windows it doesn't close unless I use the task bar, even then part of
>>> that
>>> window remains. There are times when there are big holes with just the
>>> window frame showing.
>>> I have also been experiencing screen blackouts, can't seem to find the
>>> reason for that either. I've run a virus scan, ran a malware scan and
>>> also
>>> ran RegCure. I still have both problems. (Running Vista Home Prem SP2)
>>> Any suggestions??

>> .

Don Varnau

Re: problem with overlaping windows in IE8
Hi,
I would have expected a less common add-on than the Yahoo Toolbar to be the
culprit- perhaps a program or BHO which affects the appearance of windows.

It's possible that both problems are being caused by a program which loads
at startup and runs in the background. You might take a look at startup
programs from Start> Run> (type in) msconfig> Startup tab. Disable a
nonessential program or 2. See if the problems go away. Repeat until you've
tested all startup programs.

message news:CF02F449-0D8A-4589-AE98-2D86E1AD7371@microsoft.com...