Router access through IE8

Chuck

Router access through IE8
I'm having trouble accessing my Linksys router through IE8. It is a wireless
router, but this computer is hardwired.

I clear the address bar in IE8 and type in 192.168.1.1 to access the
controls of my router and hit enter. IE8 quickly adds "http//" to the front
of the numbers and then IE8 tells me it cannot open that page.

I remove the "http//" and try again and IE8 again adds the "http//"
preventing me from accessing my router.

Can anyone tell me how I stop IE8 from doing this?

Chuck

Bob

Re: Router access through IE8
Network and Sharing Center>>View Computers and Devices.

Right click on the Linksys router and select View Device webpage.

"Chuck" <cumerin@wildblue.net> wrote in message
> I'm having trouble accessing my Linksys router through IE8. It is a
> wireless router, but this computer is hardwired.
>
> I clear the address bar in IE8 and type in 192.168.1.1 to access the
> controls of my router and hit enter. IE8 quickly adds "http//" to the
> front of the numbers and then IE8 tells me it cannot open that page.
>
> I remove the "http//" and try again and IE8 again adds the "http//"
> preventing me from accessing my router.
>
> Can anyone tell me how I stop IE8 from doing this?
>
> Chuck

Chuck

Re: Router access through IE8
I'm thinking that you are using a different version of Windows than I
(Windows 7). I am unable to get any response from right clicking my Linksys
Router where you directed.

Thanks for your help.
Chuck

"Bob" <bob@nowhere.net> wrote in message
> Network and Sharing Center>>View Computers and Devices.
>
> Right click on the Linksys router and select View Device webpage.
>

> "Chuck" <cumerin@wildblue.net> wrote in message
>> I'm having trouble accessing my Linksys router through IE8. It is a
>> wireless router, but this computer is hardwired.
>>
>> I clear the address bar in IE8 and type in 192.168.1.1 to access the
>> controls of my router and hit enter. IE8 quickly adds "http//" to the
>> front of the numbers and then IE8 tells me it cannot open that page.
>>
>> I remove the "http//" and try again and IE8 again adds the "http//"
>> preventing me from accessing my router.
>>
>> Can anyone tell me how I stop IE8 from doing this?
>>
>> Chuck

Re: Router access through IE8
Always state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista 64-bit SP2;
Win7 RC; Win7) when posting in a forum or newsgroup. Please do so in your
next reply.

Chuck wrote:
> I'm having trouble accessing my Linksys router through IE8. It is a
> wireless
> router, but this computer is hardwired.
>
> I clear the address bar in IE8 and type in 192.168.1.1 to access the
> controls of my router and hit enter. IE8 quickly adds "http//" to the
> front
> of the numbers and then IE8 tells me it cannot open that page.
>
> I remove the "http//" and try again and IE8 again adds the "http//"
> preventing me from accessing my router.
>
> Can anyone tell me how I stop IE8 from doing this?
>
> Chuck

Bob Lucas

Re: Router access through IE8
I use Win XP Professional (SP3) with IE8 - so the following
comments might not apply to Windows 7.

However, my network configuration is very similar to yours - and
over the years, I have used IE6, IE7 and IE8. Consequently, I
doubt whether your problem is related to the operating system -
or the version of Internet Explorer.

The IP (gateway) address of my first router was 192.168.1.1.
With that router, I needed to use 192.168.1.254 to access the
set-up menu.

My first router suffered a hardware failure, and its replacement
was a different type. The IP address of the replacement router
is still 192.168.1.1 and now, I also need to enter 192.168.1.1 to
access the set-up menu.

If I enter the previous IP address (192.168.1.254) with my new
router, IE cannot connect - and I receive a "Internet Explorer
cannot display the webpage" error message, .

Irrespective of version, Internet Explorer has always prefixed
these IP addresses with http://. Provided I enter the correct IP
address, the http:// prefix has always allowed me to open the
router menu. And it doesn't matter whether I use a wired or
wireless connection (although wired is better for configuration
purposes).

Is your Linksys a new router, or have you owned it for a while?
Is it possible that someone could have changed the default
factory settings to a different IP address?

Upon the assumption that Win 7 uses the same procedure as Win XP,
you could type "ipconfig /all" from a command prompt (without
the quotation marks). That should reveal the IP address of your
router. Whilst you are at the command prompt, you could also
type "ping " followed by the IP address - to see whether your
router responds.

You should also read the user manual, to check that you are using
the correct IP address for that particular router.

If you don't have the manual, please post back with full details
of the router (model number, etc). Hopefully, someone will be
able to confirm the correct address and password details.

> I'm thinking that you are using a different version of Windows
> than I (Windows 7). I am unable to get any response from right
> clicking my Linksys Router where you directed.
>
> Thanks for your help.
> Chuck
>
> "Bob" <bob@nowhere.net> wrote in message
>> Network and Sharing Center>>View Computers and Devices.
>>
>> Right click on the Linksys router and select View Device
>> webpage.
>>

>> "Chuck" <cumerin@wildblue.net> wrote in message
>>> I'm having trouble accessing my Linksys router through IE8.
>>> It is a wireless router, but this computer is hardwired.
>>>
>>> I clear the address bar in IE8 and type in 192.168.1.1 to
>>> access the controls of my router and hit enter. IE8 quickly
>>> adds "http//" to the front of the numbers and then IE8 tells
>>> me it cannot open that page.
>>>
>>> I remove the "http//" and try again and IE8 again adds the
>>> "http//" preventing me from accessing my router.
>>>
>>> Can anyone tell me how I stop IE8 from doing this?
>>>
>>> Chuck

Bob

Re: Router access through IE8
Try this.

http://www1.linksys.com/support/trou...orwarding.html

"Chuck" <cumerin@wildblue.net> wrote in message
> I'm thinking that you are using a different version of Windows than I
> (Windows 7). I am unable to get any response from right clicking my
> Linksys Router where you directed.
>
> Thanks for your help.
> Chuck
>
> "Bob" <bob@nowhere.net> wrote in message
>> Network and Sharing Center>>View Computers and Devices.
>>
>> Right click on the Linksys router and select View Device webpage.
>>

>> "Chuck" <cumerin@wildblue.net> wrote in message
>>> I'm having trouble accessing my Linksys router through IE8. It is a
>>> wireless router, but this computer is hardwired.
>>>
>>> I clear the address bar in IE8 and type in 192.168.1.1 to access the
>>> controls of my router and hit enter. IE8 quickly adds "http//" to the
>>> front of the numbers and then IE8 tells me it cannot open that page.
>>>
>>> I remove the "http//" and try again and IE8 again adds the "http//"
>>> preventing me from accessing my router.
>>>
>>> Can anyone tell me how I stop IE8 from doing this?
>>>
>>> Chuck

Bob Eyster

Re: Router access through IE8
"Chuck" <cumerin@wildblue.net> wrote in message
> I'm having trouble accessing my Linksys router through IE8. It is a
> wireless router, but this computer is hardwired.
>
> I clear the address bar in IE8 and type in 192.168.1.1 to access the
> controls of my router and hit enter. IE8 quickly adds "http//" to the
> front of the numbers and then IE8 tells me it cannot open that page.
>
> I remove the "http//" and try again and IE8 again adds the "http//"
> preventing me from accessing my router.
>
> Can anyone tell me how I stop IE8 from doing this?
>
> Chuck

I don't know if you made a typo or what, but it should add to the front
http:// (note the colon) yours does not have it.

--
Bob Eyster
Windows Vista Ultimate SP2 - 32 Bit - IE8

Bob Eyster

Re: Router access through IE8
"Chuck" <cumerin@wildblue.net> wrote in message
> I'm having trouble accessing my Linksys router through IE8. It is a
> wireless router, but this computer is hardwired.
>
> I clear the address bar in IE8 and type in 192.168.1.1 to access the
> controls of my router and hit enter. IE8 quickly adds "http//" to the
> front of the numbers and then IE8 tells me it cannot open that page.
>
> I remove the "http//" and try again and IE8 again adds the "http//"
> preventing me from accessing my router.
>
> Can anyone tell me how I stop IE8 from doing this?
>
> Chuck

Also, maybe you need to enter a username. The default is Admin.

--
Bob Eyster
Windows Vista Ultimate SP2 - 32 Bit - IE8

Leonard Grey

Re: Router access through IE8
Try 192.168.0.1
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

Chuck wrote:
> I'm having trouble accessing my Linksys router through IE8. It is a
> wireless router, but this computer is hardwired.
>
> I clear the address bar in IE8 and type in 192.168.1.1 to access the
> controls of my router and hit enter. IE8 quickly adds "http//" to the
> front of the numbers and then IE8 tells me it cannot open that page.
>
> I remove the "http//" and try again and IE8 again adds the "http//"
> preventing me from accessing my router.
>
> Can anyone tell me how I stop IE8 from doing this?
>
> Chuck

Chuck

Re: Router access through IE8
Typo it was. My apologies.

I was not even getting to the login pop-up for the router, and yes I have
already set my own password and username for the router. )

I did manage to resolve my issue by re-booting the router and then was able
to log in.

(Side note)
My concern was that I had previously set up my router the provide my laptop
with wireless internet in addition to both of our desktops computers. In
setting up the wireless connection, I opted to not password protect that
access. Subsequently, one or more of my neighbors was accessing the internet
through my router and causing me to exceed the "fair use " policy for my
ISP, a Sat provider with a 17 GB download limit.

Bottom line; Problem solved. Thank you all for your input and help.

Chuck